C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post your BONE STOCK LS3 dyno numbers...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 01:09 PM
bunk22
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C6 DVL
I would imagine if a tuner leaned out your air-fuel, played with the timing a bit, you might hit 400rwhp. Granted I don't have an 08 but my air-fuel was a bit rich, about 12.0:1 with the timing off a bit (too much). Corrected it and picked up gains throughout the curve with 12rwhp/8rwtq SAE at the peak. Went from 383rwhp to 395rwhp and 377rwtq to 385rwtq SAE at the peaks.

I've now used 3 different dynojets for my C6, two in CA and here in FL. I could lay the graphs on top of each other and the last two are almost identical (these two were with almost identical mods except Halltech vs Vararam). I used 3 different dynojets with my 03 Cobra and 2 of them were almost identical. The other dyno was always off (lower) by 15-20rwhp/tq SAE, throughout the curve.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Talks Cheap
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyno numbers

I had my 08 dynoed with 200 miles on it. It did 381 hp (sae) and 398 (std) I dont know the difference but they said sae is what they use. I think std is corected. Now we were just trying to get a baseline before the procharger install. We only did 1 pull. They usually do 2 pulls back to back, let it cool down 10 min. and then do a 3rd pull. The 3rd pull usually makes the best numbers.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:05 PM
bunk22
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Talks Cheap
I had my 08 dynoed with 200 miles on it. It did 381 hp (sae) and 398 (std) I dont know the difference but they said sae is what they use. I think std is corected. Now we were just trying to get a baseline before the procharger install. We only did 1 pull. They usually do 2 pulls back to back, let it cool down 10 min. and then do a 3rd pull. The 3rd pull usually makes the best numbers.
They are both correction factors. Makes it more apples to apples when comparing same type of dyno's and same correction factors.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:05 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

BONE STOCK LS3 MN6 Z51 NPP W/1,200

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/...e7009111_o.jpg
DYNO SHEET OF ALL 4 PULLS
Reading the numbers and lisnin' to this dyno run makes me think that GM proly has a hp bump planned for the Z06 in '09. 'Course the LS3 is not an LS7....the displacement is less....but it sounds very strong.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:39 PM
jmudreamvette
Burning Brakes

I prefer the etch-a-sketch version!
Old 11-22-2007, 02:44 PM
C6 DVL
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by OregonC6
Reading the numbers and lisnin' to this dyno run makes me think that GM proly has a hp bump planned for the Z06 in '09. 'Course the LS3 is not an LS7....the displacement is less....but it sounds very strong.
the engine is very underrated.........I guess they didnt want the HP to close to the Z06
Old 11-22-2007, 03:05 PM
bunk22
Safety Car

Originally Posted by OregonC6
Judging by stock 1/4 mile times, there is no need to. We don't race dyno's.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:09 PM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

the engine is very underrated.........I guess they didnt want the HP to close to the Z06
Yep...I figure the LS3 is good for about 450 HP out of the box...
Old 11-22-2007, 06:27 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by JSB LS3
Yep...I figure the LS3 is good for about 450 HP out of the box...
Many people seem to not realize there is a new rating system being used on the 08s, and it's SAE CERTIFIED - which means that it was witnessed. It is not under rated - by definition, it can't be under rated.

If you were around for the HP wars that went on right before the LS3 was introduced, you'd understand this. The losses on the LS3 are almost identical to the LS7. But less than the LS2, because of the new rating system.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:43 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by DitchTehFish
SAE formula should make up for most that.
I think not!
Old 11-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Atomic Punk
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

673 4/8ths on a wal mart dyno facing southeast with the windows rold down. but it's not stock. got a wing on the back, some aftermarket stickers on the back glass and one of those loud mufflers
Old 11-22-2007, 07:49 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Many people seem to not realize there is a new rating system being used on the 08s, and it's SAE CERTIFIED - which means that it was witnessed. It is not under rated - by definition, it can't be under rated.

If you were around for the HP wars that went on right before the LS3 was introduced, you'd understand this. The losses on the LS3 are almost identical to the LS7. But less than the LS2, because of the new rating system.
There is no more underrating or overrating. The LS3 like the LS7 horsepower rating is SAE certified. Meaning that GM is guaranteeing that all the engines of each type, be they LS3 or LS7, will dyno within 1% of one another. There are no ringers, strong ones, weak ones or underrated ones.

While the links below refer to the LS7, they can also be extrapolated to the LS3 because both are SAE certified.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1562787163
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...&postcount=356
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...&postcount=371

If its SAE certified, it pretty much is what it is.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-23-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:22 PM
stanleyp
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please list: ...(if) Z51...
Oh yah. That will make a difference.

388, btw...
Old 11-22-2007, 09:01 PM
03 Z-oh-6
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
There is no more underrating or overrating. The LS3 like the LS7 horsepower rating is SAE certified. Meaning that GM is guaranteeing that all the engines of each type, be they LS3 or LS7, will dyno within 1% of one another. There are no ringers, strong ones, weak ones or underrated ones.

If its SAE certified, it pretty much is what it is.
Intersting info. Why in the past have there been strong ones, weak ones, etc...? Better yet, the car in this thread that dynod 366 and the car that dynod 392, if they were to dyno back to back on the same dyno, the numbers would be verry close?

Last edited by 03 Z-oh-6; 11-22-2007 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:31 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Intersting info. Why in the past have there been strong ones, weak ones, etc...? Better yet, the car in this thread that dynod 366 and the car that dynod 392, if they were to dyno back to back on the same dyno, the numbers would be verry close?
I think that is the case. I certainly can't prove it, but I believe most of the dyno variances are just that - dyno variances. Some differences can be attributed to running a different octane, and I've heard that even different tire pressures can make a difference - so there could be some minor car-to-car differences.

But I believe that cars all running the same octane, all with similar mileage etc will dyno within 1% of each other on the same dyno, same day.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:56 PM
canandy2
Burning Brakes

1340 miles, Z51 MN6 with NPP, 93 octane - 390.5 hp.

I can't find my dyno sheet right now, but it's the dyno at MTI in Houston. If nobody else posts what their's is, I'll look it up later. Gotta go to the in-laws now for turkey!
Nice Numbers
Old 11-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Scooty Puff Sr.
Burning Brakes

1,200 miles, A6, 93 Octane, base exhaust. The AF mixture was BELOW 10! We are about 500 feet above sea level and it was around 80 degrees when we did the tune. I don't know what brand of machine it was done on.

Base line pull was 369.1 rwhp and 367.6 lbs of torque, Pull number 4 was the best at 375.9 rwhp and 379.4 lbs of torque. We picked up power all across the band. 21st century muscle cars in Carrolton, TX did a nice job.

Get notified of new replies

To Post your BONE STOCK LS3 dyno numbers...

Old 11-22-2007, 10:28 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,332 Likes on 674 Posts

The lowest so far 366 while the highest is 392!!! I realize the NPP may add a few horses. I know there's a lot of factors involved, but 28rwhp is a big variance!!!
So I come over to C6 gen and read this 392 is a 383 stroker LT1 Must be Nice and b.t.w I love the C6. It's just funny how far these cars have come, I have a 383 and it's making 440chp and it's NOTHING like a LS3. it's rude it's crude and it's loud. You guys have it GOOD.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:17 PM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

I understand SAE Certification, but hasn't GM been doing it voluntarily since '06 or so? I could have sworn I remembered hearing that the LS7 was the first motor to be given an SAE Certified rating.

I also remember cases prior to '08 when other cars, such as the WRX and Civic Si having to lower their ratings a few HP...I thought that was because of the SAE Certified rating system.

Additionally, I BELIEVE SAE certification is primarily meant to prevent manufacturers from OVERrating engine power. I don't see much reason to keep a company from calling a car weaker than it actually is. It's nothing but marketing and isn't detrimental to the consumer.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:21 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JSB LS3
I understand SAE Certification, but hasn't GM been doing it voluntarily since '06 or so? I could have sworn I remembered hearing that the LS7 was the first motor to be given an SAE Certified rating.

I also remember cases prior to '08 when other cars, such as the WRX and Civic Si having to lower their ratings a few HP...I thought that was because of the SAE Certified rating system.

Additionally, I BELIEVE SAE certification is primarily meant to prevent manufacturers from OVERrating engine power......
Common misconception.

The new SAE guidelines whereby a manufacturer can claim "SAE Certified" status prevents the manufacturer from grossly overrating or under rating horsepower numbers.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/e...8_technologue/

....."The standard spells out the qualifications for the witness and requires the manufacturer to test a production or production-intent prototype engine, documenting all input variables and output statistics, and filing the information with the SAE. The certified output must be within one percent of the dynamometer output."

Remember that GMs engines, the new LS3 and in the LS7 are "SAE certified".

According to the above: ." .... The certified output must be within one percent of the dynamometer output." ....or else they cannot call it " SAE certified".

So there is no underrating because ......."The certified output must be within one percent of the dynamometer output."

So the notion that either the LS3 or the LS7 is significantly underrated is a myth. Because both engines outputs are now "certified".

This might help as well and this "one percent" tolerance is discussed here as well.

http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/...esolution.html

"....Since minute differences in the dimensions of engine components that naturally occur during series production—the compression ratio could be a smidge higher in one engine versus another—can result in two identical-looking engines making slightly different horsepower, the SAE allows a one-percent tolerance between the number that the witness observes and the horsepower rating that a manufacturer chooses to publish. For example, according to DaimlerChrysler’s senior manager of SRT Powertrain, Pete Gladysz, Dodge rates its Viper V-10 at 510 horsepower, even though a randomly selected V-10 that was plucked from the assembly line and broken in according to DC’s usual cycle developed 512 horsepower on the dyno run for the designated witness. Sometimes a bunch of components are at the outer edge of production tolerances, and the combination hurts the engine’s output. Sometimes they help it. The 0.4-percent difference between the V-10’s observed output and its rating lies well within the SAE’s allowable tolerance band. In fact, Dodge could have rated the engine at 517 horsepower and still met the SAE’s one-percent tolerance. “But we’d rather deliver more than we promise,” said Gladysz."

They could have called it anything from 517 all the way down to 507 and still been able to call it SAE certified horsepower.

To me that means that they could not have "underrated" it to the point of say, 500hp and still had it SAE certified, because that would have been outside the "one percent tolerance band". The least they could have called it and still had it certified would have been 507. 512- 5.12+ 506.88.

If it's "underrated" then it cannot be "underrated" by more than one percent and remain "SAE certified".
So folks saying that this engine actually makes, say 460 horsepower and is "underrated" by some 24 horsepower or more????.....not if its SAE certified.

If its SAE certified, you can take it to the bank. That is why a lot of these chassis dyno numbers are meaningless. All stock LS3 engines make about the same power. All stock LS7 engines make about the same power to within one percent of one another.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-22-2007 at 11:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Post your BONE STOCK LS3 dyno numbers...