C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging the battery from engine idle... how long?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:40 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by entwood
On second thought listen to Shopdog.
Shopdog the MAN, he will tell it like it is.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:16 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by mwct
I haven't driven my vette in a while so I want to idle the engine in my garage to make sure the battery doesn't die. How long do I need to leave the car on, and is it safe to let it idle unattended?
You're in Tucson! Drive your dang car! You're not doing your car any favors by "letting it idle unattended."
Old 12-04-2007, 05:21 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I have been told, last week, by Bowling Green that either: 1) use the car, not idle it, or 2) use a battery tender. The only other alternative is to take out the battery and, as written above, bring IT to the electrical outlet for charging.

If the car needs charging because it hasn't been used in quite awhile, it'll take at least a half an hour of driving around at above 1500 rpm.

And to those who think this is like cars of yesterday that can sit for many weeks and months, they can sit. But they probably won't start.

And no---more than a few weeks or so sitting unused is NOT all right. I left mine for just under 4 weeks and the whole system was very, very dead.

And I was told that this is to be expected as normal. The car is normal to go juiceless and not be able to start or open doors in under 4 weeks without either use or a battery tender of some kind.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:36 PM
6 speed Sid
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Long heavy gauge extension cord?
Old 12-04-2007, 06:14 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mwct
I haven't driven my vette in a while so I want to idle the engine in my garage to make sure the battery doesn't die. How long do I need to leave the car on, and is it safe to let it idle unattended?

My opinion: Not a good idea.
  1. Excessive engine idling is not good
  2. Generator does not have much output at idle

Use a battery charger.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:25 PM
HOTSOSS
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have lights in your Garage? If so you've got electricity, so putting in an outlet should be pretty simple.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by entwood
Your 07 coupe should be fine for several weeks at a time. I would suggest a battery tender, which come with eye connections that you can leave connected year round. These plug in and out to the actual tender, that you only need to connect, maybe once a month, to stay at peak battery. So move it once a month, to power supply, leave connected and covered early a.m. to late evening, and tender should give you a green light to show full peak. Put back in garage for 4 to 6 more weeks. Az. must be nice. Good Luck
You might not think so in July but our winters are terrific!
Old 12-04-2007, 11:37 PM
1cheesecake
Racer

Originally Posted by johnodrake
If you can't get electricity to your battery, take your battery to the electricity. Remove it and put a charger on it in the house.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:41 AM
candlemuse
Drifting

I always have some car sitting long enough in my garage for the battery to go dead , sometimes for months. However I have an extra one of those large Diehard SUV batteries with the handle , that I keep it charged at home. So if I need to start any of the cars with the dead battery , I just use the jump cable and start the car. It has worked for me .It would cost more but you can get a power generator and connect that to an automatic charger , this way you can use other power tools and appliances in your remote garage.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:04 AM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by shopdog
If you can't drive it, remove the battery to a warm location and keep it on a charger.
In the 'old days' when I lived in Fairbanks, Alaska and it got to minus 50 and colder in the winter, we would take our batteries in the house with us every night to keep them warm and charged!
Old 12-05-2007, 07:28 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 410 Posts

Well, I have to admit that I always start my C6 up every week to two weeks when it's not being driven much during the winter. I let it idle for 30-45 minutes and then shut it off. During the long winter months, I will get a chance to drive it every 3 or 4 weeks, weather permitting.

So far, this has resulted in no problems at all, and I have not experienced any starting issues. I've used this same routine for every sports car I've ever owned, and have never had the slightest problem.

So, while this may not be the recommended way of keeping your car alive during the winter, it has worked well for me.

Quick Reply: Charging the battery from engine idle... how long?