C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls8

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 09:10 AM
RushThruLife
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ls8

With the advent of the ZR1/LS9 and the 08 LS3 will there be an upgrade to the ZO6/LS7......as in LS8? Perhaps in the 520 to 530HP range?
Old 12-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Only if you get a Camaro
Old 12-22-2007, 10:44 AM
NIGHTSTALKER
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VETLESStil08
Only if you get a Camaro
Is that a definite???
Old 12-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Corellian Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LS7 is done i think after this year or the next.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NIGHTSTALKER
Is that a definite???
Check back in about 30 months....

As to the OP's question about the Z. I dunno, maybe? But for the weight gain that would happen, I'm not sure the extra 20 hp or so would effectively counter it.

EDIT: Then again, it's not like you'd have to beef up a whole lot of suspension and braking components, so maybe weight gain would be limited to the actual weight of the FI parts. If that were the case, then yeah, maybe so. In any case, this engine won't go into production for about 2 years, so don't expect to see it any time soon.

Last edited by Vettin08; 12-22-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:07 AM
RushThruLife
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ZR1 gains a couple hundred LBs over the ZO6, according to Motortrend. Maybe a simple cam change is in order. The supercharger isn`t for everyone, No replacement, for displacement is the standing rule for gearheads. However the upgraded F55 suspension could be the main draw.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:50 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I happened to read a post the other day that said ( from a reputable source I think ) that the LS7 cannot be rebuilt due to cast in vs pressed in liners or something like that. It was news to me and remains to be verified that this is true that the engine cannot be rebuilt. I'd have to ask , though, if this is true , what will happen in the future when owners start to get this message. No ability to rebuild sounds like a design problem that would call for a better engine.

The LS3 makes 436 hp in the base NPP car. So what would the ZR1 engine make without the supercharger? Perhaps the design of that engine is such that it would make as much hp as the LS7 without the blower? If that's the case then , if the Z06 continues to be produced, perhaps they will put the ZR1 engine in it minus the sc?

We don't know what the mpg of the ZR1 will be yet. No doubt when it's packing fuel and air under high demand it will be poor. But what about cruising? Feeding the 6.2 might take less fuel overall than feeding the bigger displacement LS7?

I agree that there is no replacement for displacement. However, that was in heavy robust big blocks that could be bored way over and still be safe. The future is going to look different than the past and present for a variety of reasons. I think GM is showing us with the ZR1 engine their view of that future. They are trying to keep performance alive with smaller displacement and supercharging.

My bet is that the LS7 will disappear in a year or two and be replaced, if GM continue with an intermediary model between base and ZR1, with a higher output LS3 than in the base car.

Get notified of new replies

To Ls8

Quick Reply: Ls8