C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self Healing Paint

Old 12-22-2007, 09:00 PM
rnpjstewart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Self Healing Paint

Read this while looking at the new EX-35 Infiniti....
One of the unique features of the new EX35 is the special “Scratch Shield,” a special “self-healing” clearcoat paint, which is designed to maintain its gloss-level over time. The paint repairs fine scratches, such as fingernail scratches under door handles, restoring the EX35’s surface close to the original state. The process, which takes anywhere from one day to one week (depending on the surrounding temperature and the depth of the scratch), is accomplished through the use of a special highly elastic resin. This resin is combined with a conventional clearcoat to increase the paint’s flexibility and strength by raising the resin density.

I like this on my next Vette....
Old 12-22-2007, 09:07 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Sound pretty cool unless you have to get something repainted? Wonder how that would work out. Doesn't sound like something a body shop would be painting with anytime soon?
Old 12-22-2007, 09:26 PM
GTRbob
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like something that might swallow up dirt particles too.

Current clear coats will smooth scratches if you melt them with thinner. I gotta think that any paint that will melt scratches will be able to get particles of dirt inbeded in it too.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:47 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

my new learning of the day...
Old 12-23-2007, 11:40 AM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

I read about the "self-healing" paint several years ago. I think Nissan invented it? I feel it will probably be on all cars in the future if the EPA is OK with it? Perfect for dark color cars like black. No more paint swirls! Good to see it actually made it to market. Here is a link to more info on it. Cool stuff!!

The link..
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS...1202-01-e.html
Old 12-23-2007, 11:56 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rexracerx9
I read about the "self-healing" paint several years ago. I think Nissan invented it? I feel it will probably be on all cars in the future if the EPA is OK with it? Perfect for dark color cars like black. No more paint swirls! Good to see it actually made it to market. Here is a link to more info on it. Cool stuff!!

The link..

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS...1202-01-e.html
Thanks for the info. That really is some very cool stuff... I think if I had a black car I'd really want this on it. I wonder if it can be reapplied at a body shop? If it reduces scratches by around 75% it's a good thing over all........ Give Nissan kudos on this one...
Old 12-23-2007, 12:03 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do we have car painters on the forum, would like to hear from them as to what this healing paint will do to the industry. Sounds like it would be labor intensive if there was to be a repaint.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:56 AM
rnpjstewart
Instructor

Thanx for the info always appreciated...
Old 12-24-2007, 08:45 AM
Dale_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I remember reading a post that said the Corvette paint had a certain amount of "reflow" when it got hot. Not as much as the new stuff you're talking about though.

Get notified of new replies

To Self Healing Paint

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Self Healing Paint