C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all you mechanical guru's...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 05:34 PM
C6Rocks!
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all you mechanical guru's...

So - my alternator crapped out and I oredered a replacement. Took the old out (with just a little difficulty) but now putting the replacement in is another story. Looks like just 2 bolts but the belt seems so much smaller, I have to really streatch this thing to get it back on. I'm worried about the tension and the ribs on the belt itself. If I wedge the alternator in (which I will have to do) to line up the bolt holes and have the belt around the pulley, I worry about the ribs being shreaded as the alternator pulley spins to align everything. Is there a special method or tool involved here? The obvious method is to put the alternator in and then use a crowbar type tool to wedge the belt on but that doesnt seem right either... I know it shouldnt be this difficult... Sugestions anyone who's done this?
Old 05-23-2008, 05:37 PM
ZeusC6
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

You need to relieve the tension put on by the tensioner (idler) pully.
Its on the passenger side up high in front of the fuel rail cover and is spring loaded.
Get a rachet or wrench, (appears to be 9/16 unless its metric) on the exposed silver bolt and just relieve the tension. You'll come up with lots of slack to fit the ribs in the proper v grooves.

Last edited by ZeusC6; 05-23-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:51 PM
C6Rocks!
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeusC6
You need to relieve the tension put on by the tensioner (idler) pully.
Its on the passenger side up high in front of the fuel rail cover and is spring loaded.
Get a rachet or wrench, (appears to be 9/16 unless its metric) on the exposed silver bolt and just relieve the tension. You'll come up with lots of slack to fit the ribs in the proper v grooves.
Got it! Actually its not a bolted piece but is spring loaded. Thanks for the help!

Get notified of new replies

To Calling all you mechanical guru's...

Quick Reply: Calling all you mechanical guru's...