C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window indexing problem, YES, I read the FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 12:14 PM
JT-C6
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'06-'08-'10-'11

Default Window indexing problem, YES, I read the FAQ

I had my battery drain down to the point where the car wouldn't start. I still had some power, but it wouldn't crank. I have since recharged the battery and car is starting just fine.

Now my drivers side window indexing no longer works or I simply can not get the drivers window all of the way up. I have followed the window indexing initialization procedure in the owner's manual and the one in the C6 FAQ in this forum to re-initalize this, but it just isn't helping. The passenger side is actually still working and did not need to be re-initialized.

I can open the door because the window simply won't go all of the way up. It is still down about a ½ to ¼ inch, even when I try to raise the window fully. I think the real problem is that I can't raise the window all of the way up no matter what I try. So I can't fully say that the window indexing isn't working, it may work fine if I could get the window all of the way back up.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this window all of the way back up? I would absolutely hate to visit a dealer tech for such a silly problem.

Last edited by JT-C6; 01-26-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:09 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by JT-C6
I had my battery drain down to the point where the car wouldn't start. I still had some power, but it wouldn't crank. I have since recharged the battery and car is starting just fine.

Now my drivers side window indexing no longer works or I simply can not get the drivers window all of the way up. I have followed the window indexing initialization procedure in the owner's manual and the one in the C6 FAQ in this forum to re-initalize this, but it just isn't helping. The passenger side is actually still working and did not need to be re-initialized.

I can open the door because the window simply won't go all of the way up. It is still down about a ½ to ¼ inch, even when I try to raise the window fully. I think the real problem is that I can't raise the window all of the way up no matter what I try. So I can't fully say that the window indexing isn't working, it may work fine if I could get the window all of the way back up.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this window all of the way back up? I would absolutely hate to visit a dealer tech for such a silly problem.
Just a silly question on the window. Have you tried to lower it all the way and hold the button for a couple of extra seconds. It won't go all the way up likely because it thinks it is all the way up all ready. Lowering it may reset the sensor that tracks the window position. Once you do it may allow it to raise to the top. Once this is done if it works I'd then go ahead and redo the window index procedure from the manual.

If that doesn't work or you have all ready tried it, not sure what to suggest.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:50 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
Just a silly question on the window. Have you tried to lower it all the way and hold the button for a couple of extra seconds. It won't go all the way up likely because it thinks it is all the way up all ready. Lowering it may reset the sensor that tracks the window position. Once you do it may allow it to raise to the top. Once this is done if it works I'd then go ahead and redo the window index procedure from the manual.

If that doesn't work or you have all ready tried it, not sure what to suggest.
If that doesn't work, try disconnecting the battery and then try to re-index.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:16 PM
TCKT B8
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '11

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Old 01-26-2008, 07:45 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
but I would try to put the windows ALL the way down before disconnecting the barttery.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:06 AM
JT-C6
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Yes, I have been able to get the windows all the way down before re-trying the window re-initialization thing. Yes, I have held the window button down for 5 seconds after its fully down and for 5 seconds after it fully stops going up. It does go fully down, although sometimes it actually stops just at the point where it would disappear into the door and other times, it completely disappears (another inconsistent operation).

I kind of knew the suggestions would be to disconnect the battery, I was hoping there was a better procedure than going through that. Any suggested fuses I can pull instead or is there fuse to the main battery power so I don't have to mess with disconnecting a battery terminal?
Old 01-27-2008, 09:10 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by JT-C6
Yes, I have been able to get the windows all the way down before re-trying the window re-initialization thing. Yes, I have held the window button down for 5 seconds after its fully down and for 5 seconds after it fully stops going up. It does go fully down, although sometimes it actually stops just at the point where it would disappear into the door and other times, it completely disappears (another inconsistent operation).

I kind of knew the suggestions would be to disconnect the battery, I was hoping there was a better procedure than going through that. Any suggested fuses I can pull instead or is there fuse to the main battery power so I don't have to mess with disconnecting a battery terminal?

Unfortunately, no. There is (as far as I know) not a fuse that will take care of the reset. I would put the window all the way down and disconnect the battery. The battery is easy to access and the terminal is easy to remove. Any fuse you find would be accessory specific (window motor) and may not reset the specific control module that interrogates the window position sensor. Once you disconnect the battery you will likely need to re-initialize both windows but unless there is something specifically wrong mechanically with your window it should solve your problem.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Sven
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Old 01-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately, no. There is (as far as I know) not a fuse that will take care of the reset. I would put the window all the way down and disconnect the battery. The battery is easy to access and the terminal is easy to remove. Any fuse you find would be accessory specific (window motor) and may not reset the specific control module that interrogates the window position sensor. Once you disconnect the battery you will likely need to re-initialize both windows but unless there is something specifically wrong mechanically with your window it should solve your problem.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:34 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Get a 10mm nut driver and it is a easy removal. I disconnect my battery EVERY time I do any electrical work.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:09 PM
JT-C6
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I will try to disconnect the battery shortly and we'll see what happens. Ugh.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:32 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would add that when you disconnect the battery, if it looks like that didn't help, try leaving it disconnected for at least 30 minutes. No kidding! Don't short cut it. Then reconnect after 30+ minutes. I had to do that one time my XM locked up. Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes wouldn't do it. I disconnected it for about 45 minutes and the XM came right back, so it is my feeling that some of the stuff in that car takes quite a while to reset after battery disconnect.

Mike
Old 01-27-2008, 04:39 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
I would add that when you disconnect the battery, if it looks like that didn't help, try leaving it disconnected for at least 30 minutes. No kidding! Don't short cut it. Then reconnect after 30+ minutes. I had to do that one time my XM locked up. Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes wouldn't do it. I disconnected it for about 45 minutes and the XM came right back, so it is my feeling that some of the stuff in that car takes quite a while to reset after battery disconnect.

Mike
Yep. Some circuits have capacitors that take a while to leak down.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:32 PM
JT-C6
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I went to disconnect the battery and hesitated about the negative battery terminal configuration. It was something like I never saw before. I called another fellow CF guy, carboman, and asked him if he had ever taken off the battery terminal and he explained to me that it simply needed to have its nut loosened and then the clamp would wiggle off.

Anyway, he asked about why I'd actually be doing this and I told him of my issue. He recommended disconnecting the window motor fuse. I figured "what do I have to lose?" I located the power windows/lock/hatch release fuse in the passenger footwell and pulled it for about 10 seconds. I re-installed it and the window can now go back up 100%. I was easily able to re-initialize the window indexing after that on the first try. (I knew I was doing it right!)

I never did disconnect the battery, so I'll have to remember this in case it ever happens again. I'll be sure to keep the battery tender on it in the future, especially like now in the winter. Thanks to those remained interested in this obscure issue thread and thanks to carboman!
Old 01-27-2008, 07:57 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Glad to hear it worked out. It does at least confirm that the battery would have solved it. Also good to know that in this case the fuse will work. Nice job on the fix.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:11 PM
carboman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

JT

Glad all worked out well. Now when are we going to do some performance mods to your ride?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:04 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For future reference, if you loosen the battery cable nut a few turns, you can just wiggle the cable off the post. When you put it back on, just push it down onto the post firmly and then tighten the nut. When you tighten the nut, it just compresses the ring onto the post. My own personal opinion is that this car is full of computers and it doesn't hurt to "reboot" it once in a while. It doesn't take the computer long to relearn while you drive.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Window indexing problem, YES, I read the FAQ

Quick Reply: Window indexing problem, YES, I read the FAQ