C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OnStar subscription question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:51 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Default OnStar subscription question

My first year OnStar subscription is coming due next month. I’m not proposing a debate about the pro’s and con’s of OnStar. Has anyone heard of a discount for OnStar like that for XM?

Thanks!

(And I know that I can “just say No”).........
Old 02-09-2008, 12:16 AM
bm bradley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarP3C
My first year OnStar subscription is coming due next month. I’m not proposing a debate about the pro’s and con’s of OnStar. Has anyone heard of a discount for OnStar like that for XM?

Thanks!

(And I know that I can “just say No”).........
simple answer is do you use the onstar? I've onstar in 2 caddys and I love it, use it all the time. love the phone, love making reservations, getting directions etc.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:46 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I never seen it below $12.95 a month. I usually have to talk to the cancellation department and explain to them that I'm not going to spend $34 for OnStar for two vehicles every month.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Victoryred 08
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

This is the forth car that I've owned that came with On Star. I've never renewed it on any of the vehicles. Didn't care for the phone, why pay more when you've got a cell. I did use the lockout feature on my truck one time, but that was it. When my year comes up next December, I guess I'll cancell it again.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:05 AM
One Nut
Racer

The system can be used as a lojak of some sort. saftey issues i've used mine in my crew cab several times report accidents get directions book vegas on the fly worth the peace of mind ?? mine was 16.95$ a month after my 3rd year..... cancelled it...... go figure. If my 01 had it I'd activate it. And yes I did cary 2 35"spare tires in my DURAMAX CREW CAB
Old 02-09-2008, 01:49 AM
humvet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The only discount I have been able to find is the multi year discount on their website. They are very stingy with this marginal benefit service.

Also, don't forget that you lose your cell phone minutes after a year if you don't use them or buy some once a year. This is a point that ticks me off.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:53 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Has anyone heard of a discount for OnStar like that for XM?

No, I've never heard of a discount. AFAIK the base package "Safe & Sound" is $199 per year. Might even go up as inflation rears it's ugly head more.

My personal opinion is the OnStar is worth every penny. It's like insurance; you never know how important it is until you need it.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:13 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Old 02-09-2008, 02:53 AM
traindude
Race Director

I am not aware of any discounts other than what always been posted in the replies so far.

My first year OnStar subscription is due at the end of this month. I've not used the service in the 11+ months since I bought my Vette. I'll not be renewing.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a little different take on the "never use it, therefore don't need it" arguments. With just the Safe & Sound package, I look at not using it as a good thing, and just knock on wood. Got my first OnStar vehicle in 2001, and bought 6 years extended service at a pretty good discount back then. I transferred the unused time to a new vehicle, and that now will be running out this summer, but I will be renewing it.

In all that time I have used it once, and that was just to see them do the remote unlock. However, in that same time I have never used my car insurance either, and that is a heck of a lot more expensive.

The wildcard in all this is that when my new Vette gets here soon I will be supporting two OnStar systems that I hope not to use.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Wezel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OnStar called me Thursday trying to get me to re-up after mine expired. I told the guy it wasn't worth $19.95 a month; he didn't offer any deals. I'm now OnStarLess.

Last edited by Wezel; 02-09-2008 at 08:30 AM. Reason: sp
Old 02-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I haven't heard of any OnStar discounts but with their 'basic' plan you're only paying pennies a day anyway....it ain't that much.

Certain OnStar features I could care less about but a few features make OnStar worthwhile to me. With a manual shift I appreciate the more powerful, built-in, hands-free OnStar cell phone.

In the unlikely event my car is ever stolen...GPS positioning would be invaluable. A friend of mine had his Suburban stolen years ago. OnStar worked with the police...the car was recovered (intact) and the thieves caught within an hour. I'm not one of those that hope their stolen Vette is never recovered and declared a total loss...an insurance check for depreciated value doesn't excite me too much.

Lastly, OnStar emergency notification just might save your life or the life of someone you love.

The analogy to insurance is valid. Do you skimp on insurance coverage...do you carry minimal or insufficient liability insurance because you haven’t used it before? For the features I value, OnStar is well worth pennies a day.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:39 AM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

NONE that I have heard of.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:00 AM
SvetteC6
Racer

I have onstar in two vehicle and just recently had to pay to have it upgraded to digital. I haven't heard of any discounts other then purchasing longer agreements. Although very small, some insurance companies will give you a discount for having onstar in the vehicle do to the vehicle tracking system if it's stolen.

I also have a friend who was in a major accident were the other driver was killed and he was unconscious. Onstar called for help and they were there when he came to. Worth every penny.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:00 AM
slvr 07
Melting Slicks

i contacted onstar in december and advised them that i was taking my vert. off the road till april, they made me an offer i could not refuse, keep the onstar active unitl my anniversary date, which is 2/08, then continue till april and then start my subscription in april at 142.00 for the year, plus 100 free phone mins,
Old 02-09-2008, 10:16 AM
VETFOR4
Racer

I have gotten the $142 twice in the C6 and once in my wife's Denali, but never the 100 free minutes. It was no problem at all I just asked if there was something that they could do and was offered the lower rate.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:30 AM
ocjim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keyplyr
No, I've never heard of a discount. AFAIK the base package "Safe & Sound" is $199 per year. Might even go up as inflation rears it's ugly head more.

My personal opinion is the OnStar is worth every penny. It's like insurance; you never know how important it is until you need it.

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar subscription question

Old 02-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Another Don
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cliffnotes version: I got a one-year renewal for $148 plus my unused minutes rolled over.

My On* was to expire on 2/12. I had gotten a letter telling me that they intended to renew on a month-by-month basis for a little over $20/month. They would just charge this to the credit card that I had given them to buy some phone minutes. I looked on the website and the price was a little over $200 for the year.

So, I called them to tell them that I don't drive the car enough for the service to be worth $240 or even $200 a year for me. I talked to the first person and he spent about 10 minutes trying to find a promotional rate for me which he couldn't. No surprise there. I told him to cancel my subscription. He told me he couldn't cancel the subscription but would transfer me to the "Cancellation Department". I said, "Fine."

When I was connected to the Cancellation Department, the young lady asked what she could do to help me. I told her she could cancel my On*. She asked if I would keep the service if she could find a discount for me. I said I might but that a $5 or $10 discount wasn't going to do it and the guy that had transferred me to her had spent 10 minutes trying to find a discount for me and he failed. She then told me that she had access to promotions that he couldn't get to. When she came back to the phone she offered me $148 for the year. I told her that was good enough if she'd rollover my unused phone minutes. She agreed and I extended the service for another year.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:59 PM
rhoward2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-28-2008, 07:49 PM
guistg1
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

My subscription just expired, about a month ago I was offered thru an e-mail from On-Star 1 year at $149 - $50 off.
I posted same question a few months ago and got a few replies that they were able to get $50 off a year, don't know details.

Quick Reply: OnStar subscription question