C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions Please...Screw in tire is plug too close to sidewall

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Mark Little
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions Please...Screw in tire is plug too close to sidewall

Hey guys, I just noticed a screw in my right front tire on my Z06. I plugged it, do you think it is a safe plug or too close to the sidewall. Only 950 miles on tire

Opinions greatly appreciated

Old 02-16-2008, 12:09 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

If the car is less than a year old,I think,it's warrantied by GOODYEAR,IN FULL.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:19 PM
mfquinn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just gone thru this twice. They will NOT patch that. If your tires are still in warrenty and have enough tread depth left, they will replace for you. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Mark Little
Pro

Originally Posted by mfquinn
I have just gone thru this twice. They will NOT patch that. If your tires are still in warrenty and have enough tread depth left, they will replace for you. Good luck.
Did you go through the dealer or any Goodyear tire distrubutor?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-16-2008, 12:33 PM
gogetum
Pro

Originally Posted by mfquinn

Futile
Pro

I'm going to have to look at my warranty closer.

I don't think it would be covered by a standard warranty. (It is strickly a road hazzard)

I did buy from Goodyear/Just Tires, their road hazzard warranty which does cover this, but not as standard.

I am going to get these pics to my brother who works for Goodyear/Just tires. And see what the official word is.

I'll post later after seeing him.

Last edited by Futile; 02-16-2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spellin misteak
mfquinn
Pro

I have a 2008 and only had 5,000 babied miles on the tires. The first time I went to the dealer (where it sat all day) and they called me and said the local Goodyear dealer would not patch run flats. I had the detailed instructions on how to do it with me but they didn't want to hear it. I then called Goodyear (they were rude as hell) and they told me to try taking it to another Goodyear dealer. I took it to them and they said they couldn't fix it (it was a good 2-3 inches inside the edge, where your hole is over the edge in the side wall). However they said they would replace it for free. So I ordered one rear from Tirerack so that I would have matching tread depth tires on the rear and just kept the other tire that was ok.

Two weeks later the new tire was low on pressure. I couldn't believe it that I picked up another nail. However this time it was dead center and they fixed it free.

Good luck. I hope you find a dealer that has newer equipment so your wheel doesn't get damaged. Also, when they pull off the weights that are on it, it is a pain in the ### to get that black sticky glue tape crap off.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:48 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

I went to Goodyear a couple of weeks ago with a screw in a tire, not nearly as close to the sidewall as yours and they said it was not patchable, I was fortunate in that it was a short screw and did not go very far into the tread. Real fortunate in that there are not very many replacement tires in stock at this time, GY and FS are both an Backorder!!!!
Old 02-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Futile
I'm going to have to look at my warranty closer.

I don't think it would be covered by a standard warranty. (It is strickly a road hazzard)

I did buy from Goodyear/Just Tires, their road hazzard warranty which does cover this, but not as standard.

I am going to get these pics to my brother who works for Goodyear/Just tires. And see what the official word is.

I'll post later after seeing him.
Look at the Goodyear warranty booklet that came with your C6.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:02 PM
ROC OUT
Pro

In less than three months from the date of purchasing my '07 Coupe new from a dealer, I ended up with a screw in each of my rear tires, about an inch to two inches from the side. Both were repaired with a patch-plug by a local Austin Goodyear dealer. Each repair was free of charge due to the tires being under warranty from Goodyear. Had the tires needed to be replaced, those would have been free also since I had not exceeded the tread wear for the tires. The patch-plugs have held fine so far, even with some aggressive driving.

As for the puncture on your tire, I have doubts that any repair will hold for an extended period of time and most tire repair places would probably refuse to patch or plug a puncture that close to the sidewall.

If your tires are still under warranty with Goodyear, you should be able to get a new tire free of charge. Definitely check into it before spending your hard earned money.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:41 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Little
Did you go through the dealer or any Goodyear tire distrubutor?

Thanks guys!
All dealers will tell you that GM doesn't warranty tires. The good ones will tell you that Goodyear does warranty your tires. So, although some dealers will try to help you by driving your car to a Goodyear dealer for you, take it to Goodyear yourself and save some time. But not all Goodyear dealers are equipped to handle runflats. Go here - http://www.goodyeardealers.com/ and make sure the one you pick has
below the address.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:56 PM
RushThruLife
Burning Brakes

Never plug a tire.. Except to get it to a service station (at low speed)to have it patched Especially a run flat tire. When you push in the reamer you tear open the steel belts wider than the screw did in the first place. Drive your EMT to a dealer to have it patched. If they don`t patch it, replace it. Easier to replace a EMT than your life when the tire(high peformance EMT) opens up on the highway. Areas around the plug expand with generated heat,and since there is no steel to hold it togeather it tends to explode(blow-out) at this area.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:11 PM
It'sHerVette!
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The Goodyear warranty covers road hazards for one year. They also sell road hazard insurance for the tires at 10% of the cost of a new tire. Less that $200 for the set. Good for the life of the tire. Covers repairs and pro rata replacement.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:14 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a run flat that had about 5k miles on it and it got a screw in the first outside circular water grove. GY jobber/dealer and GM dealer would not fix it. One year later in a comment on the CF a member posted about the 1 year warranty from GY. I called GY and the lady representative was SO NICE and asked me a few questions which I answered and she told me to fax her a copy of the invoice ( I used the dealer for the $400 rear runflat on C6). I don't remember now but I think she gave me a confirmation number, I faxed the invoice to her with confirmation number and two week later had a FULL refund including ALL taxes, fees, etc. GY WAS GREAT. Keep your invoice and call GY factory on their 800 number, goto their website.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:16 PM
allred
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RushThruLife
Never plug a tire.. Except to get it to a service station (at low speed).
Definitely...........sometimes the gods don't smile kindly on you, and you get something in your tire. Buy a new tire. Always. It isn't worth the risk to repair it no matter what method. As the Michelin ads have been saying for years, "There's too much riding on your tires". Yes, it hurts financially, but the peace of mind is well worth it. Not only is your safety at risk, but other road users too. The relatively small price of a replacement tire is worth it. (IMHO)
Old 02-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Mark Little
Pro

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie
You are the man...thank you. I found the pamplet that shows the extented 12 month warranty that comes with these tires including road hazzard if repair can not be done. The rep at the store told me most people do not realize this comes with these high performance tires. I sure did not.

They are ordering me a tire

Thanks to each of you for your comments.

Last edited by Mark Little; 02-16-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Futile
Pro

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie

Per Goodyear Warranty Pamphlet (included with '08 Vette)
"....
WHAT IS COVERED
AND FOR HOW LONG?

1. FREE TIRE REPLACEMENT
Any new Goodyear Extended Mobility Technology tire
removed from servicedue to a covered warranty condition
or rendered not repairable due to a raod hazard injury
during the first 2/32" treadwear or 12 months from date
of purchase, whichever occurs first, will be at no
charge. Mounting and balancing are included. Repairable
punctures will also be repaired at no charge during this
period. Without proof of purchase, date of manufacture
will be used to determine age.

..."

This should be good info for all who read!

My brother (Who works for Goodyear/ Just Tires) was not even aware that this came with the Corvette.

---- He has a copy now ----
Old 02-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,074 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by RushThruLife
Never plug a tire.. Except to get it to a service station (at low speed)to have it patched Especially a run flat tire. When you push in the reamer you tear open the steel belts wider than the screw did in the first place. Drive your EMT to a dealer to have it patched. If they don`t patch it, replace it. Easier to replace a EMT than your life when the tire(high peformance EMT) opens up on the highway. Areas around the plug expand with generated heat,and since there is no steel to hold it togeather it tends to explode(blow-out) at this area.
Goodyear does not seem to agree with you:

Goodyear Run Flat Repair Procedure
REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. CAREFULLY REMOVE THE TIRE COMPLETELY FROM THE RIM.
2. Locate the puncture on the inside of the tire and circle with crayon.
3. Remove puncturing object if it is still in the tire.
4. Carefully inspect tire on a good tire spreader, with ample light, which will show any cracks, breaks, punctures, damaged or broken beads.
5. Check liner for cuts, cracks, or holes which may cause the tubeless liner to lose air.
6. Check the injury with an inspection awl:
(a)Determine size and angle of injury.
(b)Check for ply or belt separation.
7. Reject any tire that has separation, loose cords, damaged bead(s), or any other non-repairable injury.
8. If the hole is simple and round, steps 9 through 17 of the puncture repair procedure will be successful.
NOTE: If the hole shows evidence of fabric splitting, such an injury cannot be properly repaired using this puncture repair procedure. Such an injury must be skived out and repaired as a section (reinforced) repair, which will maintain the serviceability of the tire, but will invalidate the tire's speed rating. If a section repair is necessary, the customer must be advised, before the repair is made, that the tire will lose its speed rating, and must not exceed operation at normal highway speeds.
9. Use a pre-buff cleaner and a scraper to remove contaminants from the liner in the area to be buffed around the injury.
10. Use a 7/32"carbide cutter for 1/4" repairs to clean out the puncture.
(a)Make sure that the drill follows the direction of the puncturing object.
(b)Always drill from inside to outside of tire.
11. Using chemical vulcanizing cement, lightly coat at least 1/2 of the tapered end of the repair plug. Install the plug in the prepared puncture according to the manufacturer's instructions. Trim the liner side of the plug slightly higher than the surface of the liner without stretching the plug.
12. Center the patch (or patch template) over the injury without removing the backing. Adhere to patch or template instructions, as to positioning as related to bead location. Mark around the outside edge of the patch, approximately 1/4" larger than the patch.
13. Buff the liner and plug at the puncture location. The buffed area should be slightly larger than the patch. The buffed surface should be finely grained (RMA 1 or 2 texture) and even for proper bonding. Use care to prevent burning the rubber with the buffing tool. Do not buff through the liner. Do not buff into the marking crayon.
14. Clean the buffing dust from the tire using only a vacuum or brush. Do not use gasoline or other petroleum solvents on the buffed area.
15. Coat the buffed liner surface and the patch with one evenly applied coat of chemical vulcanizing cement in accordance with the recommendations of the repair materials manufacturer. Allow the cement to dry thoroughly. Do not touch the cemented areas.
16. Install the patch with the beads of the tire in the relaxed position. Position the patch over the puncture according to the markings on the patch. Stitch the entire patch starting from the center, keeping the strokes close together to avoid trapping air under the patch.
17. Cut off the protruding end of the plug about 1/8" above the tread surface.
18. FINAL INSPECTION - The repair must seal the inner liner and fill the injury. After remounting and inflating check the repair, both beads and valve with a soap solution to assure a complete seal.

Goodyear Speed-Rated Tire Repair Limits
II. DETAILED POLICY - Puncture Repair of Goodyear Speed-Rated Tires

The puncture must be confined to the tread area only.
(See "Repair Area", item III-B).

Restrictions on the number and size of repairs must be followed.
(See "Puncture Repair Limits" table, item III-C).

A detailed repair procedure must be followed.
(See "Repair Procedure", item III-E).

A Goodyear speed-rated new tire repaired in strict accordance with items II-A, B & C, will retain its speed rating.

III. REPAIR PROCEDURE FOR SPEED-RATED TIRES

GENERAL
The objective of the puncture repair is to seal the tire against loss of inflation pressure and to prevent damage to the carcass from moisture. In all puncture repairs approved by Goodyear, the hole must be filled with a plug, and a patch covering the hole must be applied according to repair material manufacturer instructions to the inside of the tire. Never repair tires which are worn below 2/32" tread depth.

NOTE: No tire is to be repaired without first being removed from the rim.

REPAIR AREA
Repairing is limited to the tread area only within the outside grooves. No repairs are allowed in the tread area beyond the outside grooves or sidewall.

PUNCTURE REPAIR LIMITS
TIRE SPEED...............MAX. NUMBER...........MAX REPAIR
(SPEED SYMBOL)................................. ....DIAMETER
130 mph and over ...........1......................1/4 in. (6mm)
(H, V, Z)
Old 02-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Goodyear did NOT want to repair the puncture pictured below. They said it was "too close" to the sidewall. Now, it does not LOOK too close, but they say that the mushroom plug, being a few inches in diameter, must lay FLAT when installed inside the tire, it CANNOT "ride up" the sidewall... or it may fail over time if not right away.

To make a long story short , I talked them into repairing it (wasn't easy) because I did not want to buy a new pair of new rear tires for $700+ just because of one nail.

I watched the mechanic repair the tire and the patch did "ride up" the sidewall a bit. He told me that this is certainly not "ideal", but it would probably be ok. He said the excessive flexing at the sidewall area might cause the patch part of the mushroom to lift up, allowing for a possible leak.

Over 10k miles later, the tire is fine.

I'm sure if the hole had been any closer to the sidewall, they would have completely refused the repair.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions Please...Screw in tire is plug too close to sidewall

Quick Reply: Opinions Please...Screw in tire is plug too close to sidewall