C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dad can I borrow your car for Prom Night?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:19 AM
LS3M6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dad can I borrow your car for Prom Night?

My son of 17 years threw that one at me last week. I told him I would think about it. Thought about it, and tonight I told him no. I told him I am not comfortable with his skills in a car with this much power plus the liability for somones daughter. He just learned to drive a manual this year on my beater truck and a C6 M6 requires more savvy than a Dodge Ram 5-spd with a 318. He's disappointed and of course that rubs off on my conscience as well. Heck, 25 years ago my prom date rode shotgun in Mom's 4-door Ford Fairmont with 2.3L 4cyl auto. He owns his own Ford Explorer and I even offered to pay for a limo but he says, "That's what everyone else is doing." Five coworkers with older kids agree with my decision. My older brother (has a 4 year old daughter) and my best friend (career bachelor, no kids) say let him use it. What better place to share this thought process than CF? The prom is in April and I can still overturn my decision with enlightment from the CF Powers that be, but should I?
Thanks
Old 02-26-2008, 05:24 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Let him pick out a rental car.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:24 AM
gene0809
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no it is!!!
Old 02-26-2008, 05:26 AM
0Rage@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '10

Hmmmm No! Maybe on Graduation day he gets to take it for a spin. Incentive to study and good grades.

Prom...rent him a Limo
Old 02-26-2008, 05:40 AM
VETTAMOUS
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14

na if he hurt himself and his date you know you never forgive yourself. if i had that car at 17 or 18 i would try to impress my girl and buddies.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:43 AM
MaxOctane
Racer

You made the right decision. Liability is too high.

As well as traction control and active handling work, It's still too high of a liability considering his driving skill and experience. With the power of this car, it's too easy to let this car get away from you, especially with somebody who doesn't have the experience of driving a Vette. Plus, with the life of another in his hands, it's just not worth it.

I'm still rather young (at least relatively speaking), maybe I just remember what it would have been like and how easy it would have been to submit to peer pressure or push the limits of the car.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:44 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Vette for prom night? Sounds like the lead story for the 10:00 news.
Stand by your guns dad, it's tough love, but you may have just saved his life.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:47 AM
StarJack
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

You made the right decision.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:49 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)

If you are sure you can trust him to not race around then I say YES! This is a big night for him and he would really appreciate it. Besides he will remember the prom for the rest of his life and tell the story how his "super cool" dad let him drive his new Corvette! Liability is ALWAYS there, everytime he takes a friend or a girlfriend in his Explorer its the same liability!

IF YOU TRUST HIM DO IT!

Last edited by LMB 4 ME; 02-26-2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:10 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

It all depends on how mature he is for his age. At 17 I was very mature, I was forced to grow up fast. Do YOU feel he is mature enough? Maybe go for a ride with him in the car see his demeanor while driving if he feels like he wants to get on it. It's a big night for him and you are probably the one who knows his maturity and trust level. Just my 2 cents.
David
Old 02-26-2008, 06:18 AM
pwoolford
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Mine are only 5 and 7 now but I know this question will come up one day. I would do some riding along with him and if I trusted him I would probably let him drive TO the prom. His Ford Explorer would be waiting in the C6 parking space for the ride home though.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:26 AM
MostWanted
Drifting

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
It all depends on how mature he is for his age. At 17 I was very mature, I was forced to grow up fast. Do YOU feel he is mature enough? Maybe go for a ride with him in the car see his demeanor while driving if he feels like he wants to get on it. It's a big night for him and you are probably the one who knows his maturity and trust level. Just my 2 cents.
David
Only you can be the judge!
Old 02-26-2008, 06:26 AM
bent
Burning Brakes

You're not protecting your car, you are protecting your son and his date. tough situation, but right decision......when I was in high school, I stole my fathers 1987 Buick Grand National which was slightly modified...way too much power for me, as I almost wrecked it....I still don't think he knows.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:32 AM
tnt71
Instructor

Default Prom night

Despite how much I love Vettes, for Prom night the last thing I would want to focus on is a car, especially one without a back seat!
Old 02-26-2008, 06:46 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTAMOUS
na if he hurt himself and his date you know you never forgive yourself. if i had that car at 17 or 18 i would try to impress my girl and buddies.
Originally Posted by MaxOctane
You made the right decision. Liability is too high.

As well as traction control and active handling work, It's still too high of a liability considering his driving skill and experience. With the power of this car, it's too easy to let this car get away from you, especially with somebody who doesn't have the experience of driving a Vette. Plus, with the life of another in his hands, it's just not worth it.

I'm still rather young (at least relatively speaking), maybe I just remember what it would have been like and how easy it would have been to submit to peer pressure or push the limits of the car.
Originally Posted by gota07
Vette for prom night? Sounds like the lead story for the 10:00 news.
Stand by your guns dad, it's tough love, but you may have just saved his life.
Originally Posted by StarJack
You made the right decision.
Originally Posted by bent
You're not protecting your car, you are protecting your son and his date. tough situation, but right decision......when I was in high school, I stole my fathers 1987 Buick Grand National which was slightly modified...way too much power for me, as I almost wrecked it....I still don't think he knows.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:01 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I think you made the right decision as well. Check your insurance policy. It might give you more ammo to back your decision. My policy excludes drivers under 25!!!!!!!!! That is the compromise made to get lower rates on my two vettes.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:02 AM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,326 Likes on 769 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

All things considered you made the best decision for everyone. The maturity and experience required to make this a good and safe situation probably won't be there for several more years. This is not meant to have any reflection what so ever on your son either.

Get notified of new replies

To Dad can I borrow your car for Prom Night?

Old 02-26-2008, 07:08 AM
VetteManRay
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Forest Hill, (Out in the country), north of Baltimore. Maryland. Land of "Pleasant Living" with my Corvette, steamed crabs & crab cakes.
Default Hello from Forest Hill, Maryland

You are right, you don't want to put your son in a position where he can hurt himself and someone else. These Vettes are scary fast, even mature adults can loose control. If he tries to impress his date or races someone, it could turn into a very bad situation instantly. You have to make decisions to protect your children and this is one of those times. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:10 AM
jccarr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All kids are different, only you can make the decision if he is mature enough and has enough comfort in daily driving to handle the situation.

My son is now 20 and if we had had the opportunity when he was 17, I would have said yes. I would have based that on the fact he has never had a ticket and no incidents with anything. He is currently a commercial rated multi engine pilot and instrument flight instructor. He will fly me to the NCM next Monday to pick up my first vette. Like I said all kids are different and you have to be the judge.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:16 AM
Jim Nebraska
Pro

We have two sons....and were faced with this decision (although the car was my BMW). We came to the same conclusion and said "no" as well. Our kids are both great kids, but we did not want them placed into a situation with peers goding them into trying to impress with a car. Giving your son the Corvette places him into an unfair and dangerous situation. Best case scenario: He has a nice evening, no problems, the car is returned and in 20 years or so down the road, he has no recollection of Prom because his priorities have changed dramatically. Worse case scenario: Something bad happens, car gets damaged, feelings get hurt.....worst worse case, somebody gets injured or killed and you and he live with guilt forever. Easy call, IMHO.

Quick Reply: Dad can I borrow your car for Prom Night?