C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirror Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Z28TOZO6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

therin lies the problem Talon. When doing a search this therad made the most sense for answers as the others didn't cover the issue as well as this one did.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:13 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

DON'T REMOVE THE MIRROR! I've done 3 Invisicord installs and on every one removing the wire harness clip from the mirror is the hardest part.

Tilt the mirror (drivers side down and out). With your left hand depress the clip at the top of the plug and wiggle, twist and pull. It will come out! On the last install yesterday on my '08 re-installing the plug after placing the Invisicord taps was as difficult as removing it.

Between the V1 install, the Homelink garage door remote (The Owners Manual doesn't have a clue, I had to call Lear for the process) and the Nav. set up I've got about 8 hours into the change from the '05 already.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Kreuzen
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default ~ for those of you with vibration problems...

this may help;

"Anyways, I took both mirrors today to a local place near me which installs customs parts on pickups/vans etc. Its not a garage per se and they do not do mechanical work per se. They took pity on me (not to mention they liked my 2007). They took a look at my wiggly mirror. He took a #8 Torx tool and easily unscrewed the 3 torx screws. He took the disk out along with the three pins. The pins were all bent and he took a wrench and straightened them. He put it back together. I took it out to my vette and twisted it in and voila!! its like new again with no wiggles . The rearview mirror with the cam lock on the the mirror and the male on the windshield. Note on the cam lock ring there a 3 tiny circle/bumps (not the torx screws) that fit around the cam's outer male cutouts on the windshield. While those tiny bumps dont actually hold the cam lock on per se, by taking the mirror off and back on and so on, it grinds those bumps down (they are only about 1/16" sticking above the disc when new). If they get worn down they can give the mirror cam a slight loooseness but nowhere as bad as faulty spring pin wiggles. Dont know what GM was smoking when they designed this system. The mirror has a cam that locks it in. Swivel the mirror as if your setting it at about 1/4 to 1/3 turn and then turn the whole thing (like a twist) and the whole shebang will come off. To remount it keep the mirror at that setting angle and then line up the cam at about a 90 degree angle and then turn/twist the cam back on."

Last edited by Kreuzen; 04-19-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:55 PM
chevyc6z51
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kreuzen
this may help;

"Anyways, I took both mirrors today to a local place near me which installs customs parts on pickups/vans etc. Its not a garage per se and they do not do mechanical work per se. They took pity on me (not to mention they liked my 2007). They took a look at my wiggly mirror. He took a #8 Torx tool and easily unscrewed the 3 torx screws. He took the disk out along with the three pins. The pins were all bent and he took a wrench and straightened them. He put it back together. I took it out to my vette and twisted it in and voila!! its like new again with no wiggles . The rearview mirror with the cam lock on the the mirror and the male on the windshield. Note on the cam lock ring there a 3 tiny circle/bumps (not the torx screws) that fit around the cam's outer male cutouts on the windshield. While those tiny bumps dont actually hold the cam lock on per se, by taking the mirror off and back on and so on, it grinds those bumps down (they are only about 1/16" sticking above the disc when new). If they get worn down they can give the mirror cam a slight loooseness but nowhere as bad as faulty spring pin wiggles. Dont know what GM was smoking when they designed this system. The mirror has a cam that locks it in. Swivel the mirror as if your setting it at about 1/4 to 1/3 turn and then turn the whole thing (like a twist) and the whole shebang will come off. To remount it keep the mirror at that setting angle and then line up the cam at about a 90 degree angle and then turn/twist the cam back on."

do you have any rattel noises??
Old 04-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Kreuzen
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by chevyc6z51
do you have any rattel noises??
None ~ but I can tell you given the poor "cam-lock" design, no guarantees ~ seems to work like a charm in some cases but not in others. Hey, its worth a shot compared to buying a new mirror. Good luck
Old 04-20-2008, 04:25 PM
chevyc6z51
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kreuzen
None ~ but I can tell you given the poor "cam-lock" design, no guarantees ~ seems to work like a charm in some cases but not in others. Hey, its worth a shot compared to buying a new mirror. Good luck
thanks good luck

Quick Reply: Mirror Removal