Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
Rich Mickol
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Rich Mickol's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey
Default Mirror Removal

Can anyone tell me how to remove the rear view mirror from the windshield of a 2007 C6. I'm trying to install a Invisacord and get get the plug out. Thanks
Rich Mickol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
c7joe
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
c7joe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: Toledo Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
Can anyone tell me how to remove the rear view mirror from the windshield of a 2007 C6. I'm trying to install a Invisacord and get get the plug out. Thanks
I installed out of these three years ago, but if I remember right, there is a clip that needs to be press in, and the plug comes out. No need to remove the mirror.
Joe
c7joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
*FAÇADE*
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!
 
*FAÇADE*'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Default

You do not need to remove the mirror.
Check out this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1944901
*FAÇADE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
c7joe
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
c7joe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: Toledo Ohio
Default

Also see bugman's site. http://www.bugmanweb.com/c6/c6index.html
c7joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
drbonebreak
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2007
Location: Decatur AL
Default

Don't remove the mirror, you will regret it. But if you need to the procedure is to rotate the mirror 120 degrees clockwise where the base attaches to the windshield then pull straight off the window. To reattach you also rotate it clockwise after pushing it onto the window.

The invisicord is easily attached with the mirror in place, just remove the mirror power cord by pointing the mirror straight down then pushing the clip on the top of the plug and pulling it straight out the back.

Once you remove and re-install your mirror there is a good chance it will be loose against the windshield base and vibrate. The three flat springs in the mirror base are not able to withstand much deformation during the removal process. I know this firsthand due to a windshield replacement that eventually required a new mirror also since it would not re-install tightly to the window.
drbonebreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #6
keg
CF Senior Member
 
keg's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Chambersburg pa.
Default

With the postings of don't remove the mirror. The connector has a retaining clip that you need to squeeze. Use a mirror to look behind the car's mirror and you can see the clip, or look thru the windshield. Although this might be a bit harder to see. I've two of these installations and never removed the mirror.
keg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
wudturner
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
wudturner's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Camas, WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
Can anyone tell me how to remove the rear view mirror from the windshield of a 2007 C6. I'm trying to install a Invisacord and get get the plug out. Thanks
I started one of the threads mentioned below and I still do not have the Invisicord installed. I continued to have problems and e-mailed BUGMAN to see if there are any special tricks to getting the plug out. He said you have to wiggle the connector back and forth while depressing the tab in the middle and pull hard. After reading several posts it is clear some connectors slip right out and others are stubborn. My car is an '08 and maybe there are some variations from model year to model year. Part of my problem is being able to maneuver my hand and fingers in such tight quarters. Good luck and let us know if you are successful.
wudturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
chevyc6z51
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonebreak View Post
Don't remove the mirror, you will regret it. But if you need to the procedure is to rotate the mirror 120 degrees clockwise where the base attaches to the windshield then pull straight off the window. To reattach you also rotate it clockwise after pushing it onto the window.

The invisicord is easily attached with the mirror in place, just remove the mirror power cord by pointing the mirror straight down then pushing the clip on the top of the plug and pulling it straight out the back.

Once you remove and re-install your mirror there is a good chance it will be loose against the windshield base and vibrate. The three flat springs in the mirror base are not able to withstand much deformation during the removal process. I know this firsthand due to a windshield replacement that eventually required a new mirror also since it would not re-install tightly to the window.
So is your mirror still loose? Also do you have rattels??
chevyc6z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
Rich Mickol
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Rich Mickol's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wudturner View Post
I started one of the threads mentioned below and I still do not have the Invisicord installed. I continued to have problems and e-mailed BUGMAN to see if there are any special tricks to getting the plug out. He said you have to wiggle the connector back and forth while depressing the tab in the middle and pull hard. After reading several posts it is clear some connectors slip right out and others are stubborn. My car is an '08 and maybe there are some variations from model year to model year. Part of my problem is being able to maneuver my hand and fingers in such tight quarters. Good luck and let us know if you are successful.
I'm like you. There is just no way this plug is coming out. The tab pushes down with no problem but I just can't get a good enough grip on the plug to wiggle it out. I also tried to wire it with the plug in place. I can only get the red wire (to middle pink )in half way and the green one ( top black )goes in so easy that I'm not even sure it was in. I do know this, after starting the car the detector didn't work so something is not right. I contacted Invisacord and they did tell me that on some cars the plug is a b*t*H to get out. I don't want to break or fry the mirror. Mine is an 07. I think I'll wait a week and try it again.
Rich Mickol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:57 AM   #10
azvetters
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: peoria AZ
Default Mirror removel

Invisacord and they did tell me that on some cars the plug is a b*t*H to get out. I don't want to break or fry the mirror. Mine is an 07. I think I'll wait a week and try it again.[/QUOTE]

I 'v had good luck using a 45/needle nose

try it...
azvetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #11
Rich Mickol
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Rich Mickol's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azvetters View Post
Invisacord and they did tell me that on some cars the plug is a b*t*H to get out. I don't want to break or fry the mirror. Mine is an 07. I think I'll wait a week and try it again.
I 'v had good luck using a 45/needle nose

try it...[/QUOTE]

Thanks I'll give it a try
Rich Mickol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #12
MiamiZ51
CF Member
 
MiamiZ51's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2008
Location: Miami Fl
Default

Don't remove the mirror! I accidentally did that (rotate the mirror 120 degrees clockwise etc. etc.) futzing around with the mirror when installing the invisacord.
It's of no use whatsoever in the install and it took me forever to reverse engineer my original screw-up (rotate the mirror 120 degrees clockwise etc. etc.) and figure out how to replace it!
MiamiZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:50 PM   #13
Z28TOZO6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Z28TOZO6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Send a message via AIM to Z28TOZO6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
I 'v had good luck using a 45/needle nose

try it...
Thanks I'll give it a try[/QUOTE]

This thing is pissing me off! I am thinking about using a 45 at this point too, however its made by springfield armory not craftsman! I have been laying on my back on that unfvckincomfortable console screwing with this thing. I gave up trying to get the plug out and I am trying to just stick the pins that come on the end of the invisicord. It aint happening. It is so loose it falls out before I can even attempt to get the tywrap around it.

I don't want to live in fear that the V1 is going to be bouncing in and out of power while I am driving.
Z28TOZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #14
NEV3R L8
CF Senior Member
 
NEV3R L8's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: Naples FL
Default

I took mine off a while ago unfortunetly when I installed my mirror mount and it has never been the same since. Also only recently when I get on it hard it kinda shakes back and forth really bad and sounds like something very bad is happening.

So...anyone come up with a way to kinda get back to that stock feel if you took the mirror off. Maybe take off the mirror and that mount on the window then put that piece in the mount then tighten the reinstall with super glue for windows?

Just thinking out loud here
NEV3R L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:08 AM   #15
chevyc6z51
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEV3R L8 View Post
I took mine off a while ago unfortunetly when I installed my mirror mount and it has never been the same since. Also only recently when I get on it hard it kinda shakes back and forth really bad and sounds like something very bad is happening.

So...anyone come up with a way to kinda get back to that stock feel if you took the mirror off. Maybe take off the mirror and that mount on the window then put that piece in the mount then tighten the reinstall with super glue for windows?

Just thinking out loud here
chevyc6z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:59 AM   #16
Z28TOZO6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Z28TOZO6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Send a message via AIM to Z28TOZO6
Default

finally got the plug out. the connectors on the end of the invisicord are lacking. i have pushed them in every which way and the contact is poor. i ty-wrapped it to the rvm cord, let's hope it holds.

Also when I shift in to reverse it cuts the power to the unit but the combination of wires i found seemed to be the only one that would shut the unit off when I turned the key off.

The guy from vette mods emailed me back and said there are specific instructions on the forum, but a search didn't turn much up. You would think what ever tech data is out there would pop up with invisicord in the search box.
Z28TOZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:18 AM   #17
ufaj26
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ufaj26's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2005
Location: Hoschton Georgia
Default

when I made my own connectors. I connected the hot wire from the detector to the bottom row middle pink(dark pink). The ground to the top row black. My mirror has on-star compass etc. Cuts on and off with ignition
ufaj26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:25 AM   #18
talon90
Moderator
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10
Support Corvetteforum!
 
talon90's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28TOZO6 View Post
finally got the plug out. the connectors on the end of the invisicord are lacking. i have pushed them in every which way and the contact is poor. i ty-wrapped it to the rvm cord, let's hope it holds.

Also when I shift in to reverse it cuts the power to the unit but the combination of wires i found seemed to be the only one that would shut the unit off when I turned the key off.

The guy from vette mods emailed me back and said there are specific instructions on the forum, but a search didn't turn much up. You would think what ever tech data is out there would pop up with invisicord in the search box.
Click the image to open in full size.

I had zero problems with the wires making contact and staying put just fine. This includes one event where the suction cups on my V1 let go and I found the unit hanging from the wires from the mirror.

My V1 powers on and off just fine with the ignition. You need to have an autodimming mirror in order for the power off option to work. Otherwise you will need to turn the unit off manually.
talon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:34 AM   #19
Z28TOZO6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Z28TOZO6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Send a message via AIM to Z28TOZO6
Default

I do have auto dim but I am in a c5.
Z28TOZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:36 AM   #20
talon90
Moderator
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10
Support Corvetteforum!
 
talon90's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28TOZO6 View Post
I do have auto dim but I am in a c5.
You might have better luck in the C5 section with some folks with better experience then. My C5 had an invisicord but I did not have the dimming mirror. I had to manually turn on and off the detector when I used it.
talon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:36 AM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page Mirror Removal
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driver Side Mirror 66 Vette C5 Tech 7 10-24-2014 07:59 AM
Need photo of driver side mirror - inside! volvos80 C7 General Discussion 0 10-15-2013 08:29 AM
C4 Mirror removal - how? c4sailor Paint/Body 3 05-17-2009 04:39 AM
Electric Rear View Mirror Problem trulytex C4 Tech/Performance 5 06-18-2006 11:30 PM
Removing side mirror sirsenna C5 Tech 5 02-27-2005 06:49 PM


Tags
2005, c4, c6, cam, corvette, ignition, lock, mirror, rear, reattach, removal, remove, removing, review, view


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:18 PM.


Emails & Password Backup