C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Billy Boat Fusion Bi-mode Exhaust Review (long) - Many Pictures + a Video

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:50 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default 2008 Billy Boat Fusion Bi-mode Exhaust Review (long) - Many Pictures + a Video

Here is my review of the new Billy Boat Fusion bi-mode exhaust. This is the 3" Z06 system with the Quad Round tips.

As some of you may know I retrofitted the 3" Z06 exhaust to my 2005 C6 last July before NPP mufflers were even an option to buy. I really liked the Bi-mode exhaust concept and had to have it on my 05. At first I used the stock Z06 mufflers. The Z06 mufflers were nice and quiet when closed, and were louder than stock when open, but just didnt have the true Muscle Car sound that I was searching for.

In comes the B+B Fusion exhaust system!

B+B makes a 2.5" Fusion muffler that is a direct bolt on fit for any 2005-2008 C6 with or without the NPP option.
They also have the Z06 system which is 3" all the way through and a direct bolt on for the Z06.
If you have the NPP option or a Z06 you wont need a vacuum source. If you are retrofitting you can get the vacuum control kit right from B+B!

The B+B Fusion mufflers arrived at my home in an extra heavy duty box. Inside the box the mufflers were wrapped up with speacial foam protecting the tips and all the vital components. Bubble wrap and expansion foam in bags were used throughout the box. This is some of the best shipping packaging I have ever seen. There is NO possible way that these mufflers are going to get damaged in transit. They arrived in Perfect shape!

I pulled out the mufflers and they gleamed like fine jewelry! These are some of the highest quality mufflers I have ever seen! The workmanship is exceptional. The welds are perfect and the vacuum actuator hardware is Top Notch. Billy Boat really knows how to make a high quality muffler. To top it off there is a LIFETIME warranty against corrosion!
The B+B 4" tips are Massive and certainly make the stock Z06 tips look small. The B+B Fusion 4" Quad round tips really fill out the rear of the vette nicely.

Here are a few shots of them:

Here are some shots comparing them to a stock Z06 muffler:

I switfly moved out to the garage and put the C6 up on stands. I was able to remove my stock Z06 mufflers in about 30 minutes. I brought the B+B Fusions out to the garage and installed them on the car. It was a simple install. The Fusion cans are actually smaller than the Z06 cans so it was fairly easy to get them to go in. Over the axles it is always tight, but I had no trouble at all getting them to go in. There were no clearance or fittment issues at all.
With the mufflers on the hangers and all bolted up I then plugged my vacuum system back in. All in all I spent about 90 minutes removing and installing the mufflers.

I use my Sunset Orange Creations ULTIMATE Exhaust Commander that has user selectable rpm opening points and wireless remotes to control the opening and closing of the butterflies. I used engine vacuum and a vacuum solenoid for the vacuum source and solenoid control.

B+B also sells a kit that uses engine vacuum with a vacuum solenoid and wireless control that does the opening and closing of the butterflies for those who wish to retrofit these to a C6 that didnt have bi-mode originally. Its really not very hard to do the retrofit at all.

Here are some on car pix:

Let me say this, the first time I started the car with the new mufflers I was HAPPY! These mufflers sound great!

The closed mode sounds great, no drone in the cabin but certainly more volume than closed Z06 mufflers. The open mode is well...BadA$$. Much louder than a Z06 muffler in the open position.

There is plenty of difference between open and closed modes at idle!
When those butterflies open the exhaust tone becomes much deeper and the volume is certainly louder than in the closed mode.

I hopped in and went for a spin. All I can say is wow! What a difference from the stock Z06 mufflers. The Fusion closed mode sounds great when running through the gears. Its aggressive sounding without being overbearing or too much.
In closed mode the exhaust sounds great.

The Fusion open mode is outright Mean sounding. It has the Muscle Car sound I was looking for! Exhaust volume with the butterflies open and running through the rpms is a lot louder than a stock Z06 mufflers in the open position.
There is a nice burble on decel when in the open position, but nothing obnoxious. At WOT these things wail! In th open position I wouldnt say they are as loud as the B+B bullets, but are fairly close. Maybe 75-80% as loud as B+B Bullets.

There is no noticable drone with the mufflers closed on the freeway.

On the freeway with the Fusions open there is some resonation, just as the Z06 mufflers have. But its not an issue because you either have a controller to open and close them, or are a stock system that opens and closes via rpm control.
I have mine set to open at 2000 rpms using my S.O.C. Ultimate Exhaust Commander, they open past the drone zone but are open for the maximum amount of time so you the maximum muscle sound possible. I can adjust the opening point rpm on my Ultimate Exhaust Commander to tailer it to any rpm profile I want.

I drove down to my local gas station for some gas and the first person at the pump that I pulled up next to commented that the Vette sounded "BadA$$". I never got that kind of compliment on the stock Z06 mufflers.

If you are on the fence about buying a set of the B+B Fusion mufflers, I would say get off the fence and buy them. They are without a doubt the BEST Bi-Mode muffler available! Spend just a little more on the B+B's as compared to stock NPP or Z06 cans and get the best quality and sound for your Vette.

I realize that exhaust tone is a subjective matter and that not everyone likes the Bi-mode system. Searching for the perfect exhaust tone is all part of making your Vette your own. If you like the bi-mode system and want a more aggressive sound. The B+B Fusion mufflers are the ticket.

Here's a video of the mufflers on the car. It runs through the rpms and I have them open at 2000 rpm and at 3500 rpm as well as full open and closed modes. An in car video is in the works.
Turn it up LOUD and Enjoy! (its a big video so be patient)(ps...sorry about the wind noise it was really windy)

Ben

Last edited by SunsetOrangeCreations; 03-27-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Great review... If I had an '08 w/ NPP this would be my choice for sure. I love loud pipes, but only when I'm in the right mood for loud. It's nice to be able to simply "turn off" the loud
Old 03-10-2008, 10:35 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Great review... If I had an '08 w/ NPP this would be my choice for sure. I love loud pipes, but only when I'm in the right mood for loud. It's nice to be able to simply "turn off" the loud
Thanks for checking out my review.

B+B has made the perfect muffler for those who want this type of system. Loud when you want it, and quiet when you dont.
Now with thier new C6 Fusion kit it makes it easy for anyone to retrofit the bi-mode exhaust to their C6 whether it has NPP or not.

Mines an '05 that I retrofitted back in July 2007 before NPP was even available. I wanted the bi-mode exhaust ever since I saw the z06 when it came out. I liked it with the Z06 mufflers, they just didnt quite have the muscle sound I wasn looking for.

The search is over for me now.

I love the B+B Fusions!

Ben
Old 03-10-2008, 12:09 PM
BoilerRxC6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing beats the sound and quality of B&B systems! I was a Corsa guy and then I got bullets (non-fusion) on my Z06. WOW! The finish is unbelievable and if you don't like the sound, something's just plain wrong with you! I'd never own another brand of exhaust for my Z06!

Sound Clip at idle with low revs(4k):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmreDg3DF4k
Old 03-10-2008, 12:24 PM
STEVE MC
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice pipes
Old 03-10-2008, 12:25 PM
MY78 C3
Instructor

Great review! I guess it is time for me to get off the fence... My 08' will be here before you know it...
Old 03-10-2008, 12:29 PM
BBExhaust
Supporting Manufacturer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Cobra4B,
With our "retro" kit you do not need factory NPP to install the FUSION. The kit comes with everything you need to convert you car to Bi-modal. Give me a call at 888-228-7435 ext.15 if you have any questions.

Mark Fowler
Billy Boat Performance Exhaust
Old 03-10-2008, 12:32 PM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by mark@BBExhaust
Cobra4B,
With our "retro" kit you do not need factory NPP to install the FUSION. The kit comes with everything you need to convert you car to Bi-modal. Give me a call at 888-228-7435 ext.15 if you have any questions.

Mark Fowler
This is a great setup and can be retrofit onto ANY C6!

Thanks for such a superior product!

Ben
Old 03-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Cobra4B,

Mark Fowler
I have a 2001 Z06.... doubt the retro kit or the exhaust would work
Old 03-10-2008, 12:49 PM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Cobra, I think they may be looking into doing them for the C5 too.

I think it would be a great idea if they did.

I did a poll about 3 months ago asking if C5'rs wanted a bi-mode exhaust and it was about 75% yes!

Hopefully they move forward on it.

Ben
Old 03-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ It would be cool and looking at the retrofit kit it should work fine. The question would be is there a market for the development costs? C5s are not being produced anymore, and while ther are many on the roads still I guess you'd have to figure out the potential customer base stc. Plus, many C5s are now owned by more price sensitive people who will not pay close to $2000 for mufflers. I'd like to see it done... I'd love to have one.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:30 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Great review. I've owned serveral sets of B&B exhausts, and I've been to their facility. They make a great system, and their customer service is second to none!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Cobra4B,

Mark Fowler
Mark, how does this system in the closed position compare to the RT66? I ran that system in the past and loved it, but with headers it was right at my drone limit in 6th on the freeway.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Just Enough
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent work Ben, both on your review and controller.

I think if you put some lithium in your tank you can get rid of that bi-modal disorder.

Later, John
Old 03-10-2008, 03:22 PM
BBExhaust
Supporting Manufacturer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Flareside
Mark, how does this system in the closed position compare to the RT66? I ran that system in the past and loved it, but with headers it was right at my drone limit in 6th on the freeway.
With the valves closed the exhaust note is just slightly louder than the Rt.66. With the valves open it is just under the Bullet.

Mark Fowler
Old 03-10-2008, 09:04 PM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Just Enough
Excellent work Ben, both on your review and controller.

I think if you put some lithium in your tank you can get rid of that bi-modal disorder.

Later, John
I think I may need that lithium to keep from doing more mods....

Thanks for cheking out the review, see you up at the next get together!

Ben
Old 03-13-2008, 06:55 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by BoilerRxC6
Nothing beats the sound and quality of B&B systems! I was a Corsa guy and then I got bullets (non-fusion) on my Z06. WOW! The finish is unbelievable and if you don't like the sound, something's just plain wrong with you! I'd never own another brand of exhaust for my Z06!

Sound Clip at idle with low revs(4k):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmreDg3DF4k
The Fit and Finish is absolutely gorgeous. I have looked at the Borla and Corsa and they are nice too. But the B+B's really wowed me.

Its all personal preference, but the B+B' were what I was looking for. Awesome sound and beautiful as well.

Since I've put them on I've had more compliments on the sound of my vette in 2 weeks than Ive had since I bought it 2 years ago!

I'm happy!

Ben

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Billy Boat Fusion Bi-mode Exhaust Review (long) - Many Pictures + a Video

Old 03-13-2008, 08:04 AM
RocketV
Racer

Great review! Awesome pics! Lotta exclamation points!

All kidding aside, I appreciate the review. I've been holding off from buying exhaust for my coupe and this system might just fit the bill. My wife and I use the Corvette for road trips as well as my acting like a reprobate from time to time, so a dual mode system is probably the best bet.
My only question is if the system will drone on the freeway with my A6 transmission (21 years of active duty in the Marine Corps = shredded knees = A6). I don't plan on installing headers in this car, so it may be okay. Any thoughts?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:25 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by RocketV
Great review! Awesome pics! Lotta exclamation points!

All kidding aside, I appreciate the review. I've been holding off from buying exhaust for my coupe and this system might just fit the bill. My wife and I use the Corvette for road trips as well as my acting like a reprobate from time to time, so a dual mode system is probably the best bet.
My only question is if the system will drone on the freeway with my A6 transmission (21 years of active duty in the Marine Corps = shredded knees = A6). I don't plan on installing headers in this car, so it may be okay. Any thoughts?

LOL, your right, I guess I got a little hyper with "!" key....

On my car with the valves closed I dont have any drone. I can hear the exhaust and it is louder than a stock C6 exhaust, but isnt "drony".

I cruise in the 1400-1800 rpm range which is the high drone area of most performance exhausts and I am happy with the Fusions sound.
They dont drone on the freeway with the valves closed.

When the valves are set to open all the time, there is drone on the freeway in those rpms.

I have my Ultimate Commander controller set to open them after 2000 rpms so the mufflers are closed in the drone range and open after it. Once you get into the 2000 rpm and up its nothing but sweet sound.

Around town I leave them open all the time, I pass through the drone range quickly ( manual trans) and they are nice and powerful sounding.. But in an A6 you probalby would want to have a controller set to keep them closed in the 1400-1800 range and then open after so you dont drone around town too.

I know a few people are picking these up and will be installing them in an A6 shortly so I am loooking forward to hearing how they like them. Hopefully they will pop in here and post too.

Hope that helps a little.

Ben

Last edited by SunsetOrangeCreations; 03-13-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:49 AM
RocketV
Racer

It helped a lot, thanks. Regardless of the transmission, the drone is a product of RPM, and installing a controller should help. No drone with the valve closed solves any freeway cruise issues.

Quick Reply: 2008 Billy Boat Fusion Bi-mode Exhaust Review (long) - Many Pictures + a Video