C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Cyber Gray color - extra cost?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 05:54 PM
nhpln
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2009 Cyber Gray color - extra cost?

Does the Cyber Gray have the tint coat (extra cost) like VY/CRM/JSB?
Old 03-22-2008, 05:56 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by nhpln
Does the Cyber Gray have the tint coat (extra cost) like VY/CRM/JSB?
Pricing is not publicly released but plan on it. It will likely be a premium color option.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

My machine silver wasn't a premium color but I wouldn't be surprised that the new gray will be. Just because it can.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:46 PM
rockethead7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
My machine silver wasn't a premium color but I wouldn't be surprised that the new gray will be. Just because it can.
I agree.

"Premium tintcoat" are the words that GM uses, making it *sound* like it cost them more money to paint the car that color, and they're just passing on the expense. But, kid yourself not, "premium tintcoat" really means - "we know you really want this color, now fork over some extra cash"....

I'm fine with this, by the way. They have the right to charge whatever they want, and as long as people are paying it, you can't fault them for it. My C6 is Velocity Yellow, and I wouldn't have it any other way... $750 extra or not.

So, if people don't want a new color to be a "premium" color, everyone should band together, stop the hype, pretend like it means nothing, get the word to GM that the new color isn't all that great (secretly drooling about it), then order it. Easier said than done, of course. Something tells me that GM knows darn well which colors will sell for a premium, and which won't.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:52 PM
nhpln
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Black is the most popular color on the C6 but there is no extra charge for it
Old 03-22-2008, 08:55 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by rockethead7
I agree.

"Premium tintcoat" are the words that GM uses, making it *sound* like it cost them more money to paint the car that color, and they're just passing on the expense. But, kid yourself not, "premium tintcoat" really means - "we know you really want this color, now fork over some extra cash"....

I'm fine with this, by the way. They have the right to charge whatever they want, and as long as people are paying it, you can't fault them for it. My C6 is Velocity Yellow, and I wouldn't have it any other way... $750 extra or not.

So, if people don't want a new color to be a "premium" color, everyone should band together, stop the hype, pretend like it means nothing, get the word to GM that the new color isn't all that great (secretly drooling about it), then order it. Easier said than done, of course. Something tells me that GM knows darn well which colors will sell for a premium, and which won't.
I know that you don't want to hear this (sometimes a good gripe is just that) but the premium tint coat colors do actually cost more to paint.

Each Corvette is painted with a primer coat, a color coat and a clear coat. The "premium" colors have either a tinted clear coat or a metallic basecoast, both cost extrain materials. So what, still three coats you say? Well the plant has a limited number of paint robots and clear robots. Since every regular color with conventional clear goes through the same robot no extra effort is required. Now, to paint the tint coat colors the robot must be broken down and cleaned top to bottom. The nozzles must be changed and the settings for painting the panels must be changed. This takes time. Valuable time actually when you consider that the paint shop is only about a week ahead of the production line. Once the run of this particular color is done it must be done all over again for the conventional clear. Since each tintcoat color is different it must be done for each of the tinted panels.

Now, does it cost $350.00 or $750.00? I don't know but it takes extra effort, extra time and the paint components are more expensive. How much so, only GM knows that.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:02 PM
rockethead7
Racer

Originally Posted by talon90
I know that you don't want to hear this (sometimes a good gripe is just that) but the premium tint coat colors do actually cost more to paint.

Each Corvette is painted with a primer coat, a color coat and a clear coat. The "premium" colors have either a tinted clear coat or a metallic basecoast, both cost extrain materials. So what, still three coats you say? Well the plant has a limited number of paint robots and clear robots. Since every regular color with conventional clear goes through the same robot no extra effort is required. Now, to paint the tint coat colors the robot must be broken down and cleaned top to bottom. The nozzles must be changed and the settings for painting the panels must be changed. This takes time. Valuable time actually when you consider that the paint shop is only about a week ahead of the production line. Once the run of this particular color is done it must be done all over again for the conventional clear. Since each tintcoat color is different it must be done for each of the tinted panels.

Now, does it cost $350.00 or $750.00? I don't know but it takes extra effort, extra time and the paint components are more expensive. How much so, only GM knows that.
Oh, of course, I know that not every color is created equal (cost wise). And, I'm no expert on what GM paid for each paint (both to purchase, and to implement). But, just from a layman's view, I'd expect a silver metallic paint to be as expensive (probably more) than a non-metallic yellow. Yet, which do they charge more for?

One could also argue that the "premium" colors are actually produced in greater quantity than some of the non-premium colors... thus, the expenses of switching nozzles and paint, etc., are actually more expensive the other way around.

Anyway, the bottom line is... I am sure they charge a premium when they can GET IT... not necessarily 100% tied to whether it actually cost them more... especially not $750 per car.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:05 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Oh, of course, I know that not every color is created equal (cost wise). And, I'm no expert on what GM paid for each paint (both to purchase, and to implement). But, just from a layman's view, I'd expect a silver metallic paint to be as expensive (probably more) than a non-metallic yellow. Yet, which do they charge more for?

One could also argue that the "premium" colors are actually produced in greater quantity than some of the non-premium colors... thus, the expenses of switching nozzles and paint, etc., are actually more expensive the other way around.

Anyway, the bottom line is... I am sure they charge a premium when they can GET IT... not necessarily 100% tied to whether it actually cost them more... especially not $750 per car.
You make some good points and I don't disagree that they will charge what they can get. The only comment on the non-premium colors is that all of them share a common clear coat. All the colors can go through the same clear coat robot. The tint coat clear is specific to the individual color that it is on. They don't have enough space or equipment to leave a dedicated tint coat setup.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:08 PM
rockethead7
Racer

You make some good points and I don't disagree that they will charge what they can get. The only comment on the non-premium colors is that all of them share a common clear coat. All the colors can go through the same clear coat robot. The tint coat clear is specific to the individual color that it is on. They don't have enough space or equipment to leave a dedicated tint coat setup.
Yup, cool... good point... thanks for the info.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:10 PM
rockethead7
Racer

I wonder what they're going to do with the ZR1's carbon fiber coat. I saw one thing that said it's $6,000 per gallon. Then, in that big million dollar auction for the first ZR1, I hear that they said it was $60,000 per gallon. Don't know which one is correct (obviously one of them slipped a decimal point). But, now THERE is a premium coat!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 09:40 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder what they're going to do with the ZR1's carbon fiber coat. I saw one thing that said it's $6,000 per gallon. Then, in that big million dollar auction for the first ZR1, I hear that they said it was $60,000 per gallon. Don't know which one is correct (obviously one of them slipped a decimal point). But, now THERE is a premium coat!!!
Think about it...If it takes a gallon of color to paint a car, then at $60K a gallon, the paint would be a significant portion of the car's total manufacturing cost...which wasn't even in the same universe as the final auction price. Even at $6K gallon, it stretches credibility.

That wouldn't be the first time an enthusiastic auction airhead exaggerated the background info...can you say "numbers matching"?
Old 03-22-2008, 09:48 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I was thinking about that new color today. I'm wondering if it's the same color as offered on some Cadillacs (CTS that I know of) called Thunder Gray Chroma-Flair. It's an extra cost option on the CTS - same price as Crystal Red on the CTS
Old 03-22-2008, 10:19 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Cyber gray is a gorgeous color on every ZR1 I've seen it on.

The clear coat for the carbon fiber on the ZR 1 is 60K per gallon and they will use a 1/2 gallon per car. It is specially made to eliminate the passage of ultra violet light wavelenghts, which yellows carbon fiber.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:46 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by jschindler
I was thinking about that new color today. I'm wondering if it's the same color as offered on some Cadillacs (CTS that I know of) called Thunder Gray Chroma-Flair. It's an extra cost option on the CTS - same price as Crystal Red on the CTS

My Dad just recently took delivery of an 08 CTS in the Thunder Gray. I spent some time Zainoing it, and it does look VERY close to the new Cyber Gray, though I havent gotten to see Cyber Gray in person yet...just pictures. The Thunder Gray is a beautiful color!
Old 03-22-2008, 10:47 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by C6NRED
Cyber gray is a gorgeous color on every ZR1 I've seen it on.

The clear coat for the carbon fiber on the ZR 1 is 60K per gallon and they will use a 1/2 gallon per car. It is specially made to eliminate the passage of ultra violet light wavelenghts, which yellows carbon fiber.
Ummm, do you REALLY think they are spending $30,000 on this special paint on each ZR1? Kind of doesn't make sense given that the car is only going to be about $20,000 more than a Z06.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:47 PM
rockethead7
Racer

Originally Posted by JmpnJckFlsh
Think about it...If it takes a gallon of color to paint a car, then at $60K a gallon, the paint would be a significant portion of the car's total manufacturing cost...which wasn't even in the same universe as the final auction price. Even at $6K gallon, it stretches credibility.

That wouldn't be the first time an enthusiastic auction airhead exaggerated the background info...can you say "numbers matching"?
I just looked it up - Motor Trend's article says that the ADDITIVE that is used in the carbon fiber's clear coat finish is $60,000 per gallon. However, it's only a 3% concentration of that additive (making the cost about $2000 per gallon... plus whatever other expenses are involved, above and beyond the additive).

I think the "enthusiastic auction airhead" was Jay Leno?? I'll have to try to see if I can find the auction itself to confirm (my memory on this is loose).
Old 03-22-2008, 10:51 PM
rockethead7
Racer

Originally Posted by JmpnJckFlsh

Oh, and also, just to respond to your comment about the logic of it... the special coating wasn't paint. It's a clear coat that is engineered to prevent yellowing. And, it's only on the carbon-fiber parts, not the whole car (so it wouldn't use a gallon).
Old 03-23-2008, 01:06 AM
Sportsdude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does look nice from photos and hope to see it in person soon.

Get notified of new replies

To 2009 Cyber Gray color - extra cost?

Quick Reply: 2009 Cyber Gray color - extra cost?