C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*UPDATE* GM PAL System Delayed again

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:58 PM
FlyBono24
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default *UPDATE* GM PAL System Delayed again

For all of you who are waiting for the PAL iPod cord for your Nav system... I was at the dealer today and had them call about the PAL system. She spoke to the regional parts manager (or something like that) and he said it was delayed until summer, and couldn't give me an exact month.

So screw it, I'm getting the Pioneer D3.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Sativa
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How difficult can it be to produce this part???
Old 04-04-2008, 05:30 PM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Too much for GM obviously
Old 04-04-2008, 05:38 PM
FlyBono24
Racer

Originally Posted by hulksdaddy
Even though almost every other company has included iPod functionality in their cars for 4-5 years now.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Captain David
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets start a betting pool as to when the Pal will be offered
I'll take 12/31/2011
Old 04-04-2008, 05:47 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by FlyBono24
For all of you who are waiting for the PAL iPod cord for your Nav system... I was at the dealer today and had them call about the PAL system. She spoke to the regional parts manager (or something like that) and he said it was delayed until summer, and couldn't give me an exact month.

So screw it, I'm getting the Pioneer D3.
Just for the record, that is not technically another delay. The last update was that it could be released in 2Q 2008. The second quarter of 2008 ends in June.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:11 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Took them another year just to get new fobs out (remember the ones that us 07 owners were supposed to get?). This is no different IMO.

My scientific wild-azz guess is we won't see the PAL until the C7 and by then the stock radio will already have it built-in. Let's hope I'm wrong.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:15 PM
TCKT B8
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '11

WTF, over!
Old 04-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
Just for the record, that is not technically another delay. The last update was that it could be released in 2Q 2008. The second quarter of 2008 ends in June.
So that gives us ten days of summer in the 2Q.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:45 AM
Dvlray6
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Sad, but it is starting to get funny for me. GM can make a 620 hp ZR1, but can't make a simple IPOD function in their flagship car.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:59 PM
FlyBono24
Racer

Are you in GM's damage control department or something?
Old 04-05-2008, 04:01 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by FlyBono24
Are you in GM's damage control department or something?
They can do enough damage on their own. I just like to make sure the facts are presented. It is far too easy to bash them and everyone seems to do it with abandon (no reference to you or this thread, just in general.)
Old 04-05-2008, 04:22 PM
BigButtLover
Safety Car

Received 484 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Don't blame you for moving on.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:33 PM
CHARMR
Pro

Default Use an MP3 player instead of anything iAPPLE

Originally Posted by hulksdaddy

While it's not a eloquent, buy an MP3 player and connect it with an FM adapter. Thats what I use and it works just fine. No, you can't control it from the NAV interface but I have playlists built and a couple hours of music in each playlist.

One other thing to think about. Don't flame me on this because I just happen to be someone who would love to see Apple die a slow, excruciating death. Apple has proprietary equipment and they REFUSE to open up their system like everyone else does. By keeping their systems proprietary they feel they can control the market. Anyone who refuses to pay Apple hefty sums of iCASH to "rent" their supposedly better system, can't. (That must explain why they continue to only garner less than 10% of the desktop/laptop market.)

It could be that Apple is wanting too much iCASH from GM and only they know how the contract reads. Maybe they want a share of profit from every vehicle sold by GM that may be able to use this device (just thinking out loud on this one). It could be that an Apple interface requires a rewrite of the code for the NAV units and that would make upgrades more problematic for GM. Again, just thinking out loud.

I for one refuse to purchase anything made by Apple just because they refuse to open up their system for others to utilize. All of the iCRAP that is purchased for anything iAPPLE has a lot of iCASH going back to Apple regardless of who makes the appliance or hardware. Apples' take is that if their hardware can use it, then they deserve some of the profit because it is their intellectual property that is being used. Just imagine how backward our computers would've been if IBM had demanded money for the original BUS and GATES had demanded the same just because of the USB technology. (Apple actually tried this with the Firewire technology and it backfired in their faces by the PC makers...that's why we have USB today!)

If Apple truly has a better idea they need to open it up so that they could compete in a fair and open market. Ok, I'm done with my "I hate Apple" rant.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Leprkon
Melting Slicks

iPod adapters run about five bucks for a spool of 50. they are called "Writeable CDs"
Old 04-05-2008, 06:07 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by BigButtLover
Don't blame you for moving on.
Yeah, God knows the C6 is virtually impossible to drive without an MP3 player plugged in.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:08 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Yeah, God knows the C6 is virtually impossible to drive without an MP3 player plugged in.
I don't know how I manage

Get notified of new replies

To *UPDATE* GM PAL System Delayed again

Old 04-05-2008, 06:18 PM
enjoytheview
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Fire69Ice
While it's not a eloquent, buy an MP3 player and connect it with an FM adapter. Thats what I use and it works just fine. No, you can't control it from the NAV interface but I have playlists built and a couple hours of music in each playlist.

One other thing to think about. Don't flame me on this because I just happen to be someone who would love to see Apple die a slow, excruciating death. Apple has proprietary equipment and they REFUSE to open up their system like everyone else does. By keeping their systems proprietary they feel they can control the market. Anyone who refuses to pay Apple hefty sums of iCASH to "rent" their supposedly better system, can't. (That must explain why they continue to only garner less than 10% of the desktop/laptop market.)

It could be that Apple is wanting too much iCASH from GM and only they know how the contract reads. Maybe they want a share of profit from every vehicle sold by GM that may be able to use this device (just thinking out loud on this one). It could be that an Apple interface requires a rewrite of the code for the NAV units and that would make upgrades more problematic for GM. Again, just thinking out loud.

I for one refuse to purchase anything made by Apple just because they refuse to open up their system for others to utilize. All of the iCRAP that is purchased for anything iAPPLE has a lot of iCASH going back to Apple regardless of who makes the appliance or hardware. Apples' take is that if their hardware can use it, then they deserve some of the profit because it is their intellectual property that is being used. Just imagine how backward our computers would've been if IBM had demanded money for the original BUS and GATES had demanded the same just because of the USB technology. (Apple actually tried this with the Firewire technology and it backfired in their faces by the PC makers...that's why we have USB today!)

If Apple truly has a better idea they need to open it up so that they could compete in a fair and open market. Ok, I'm done with my "I hate Apple" rant.
I've been using Apple products since the 80's. They put out quality products and it's their right as a private corporation to keep their technology in house. If you hate Apple so much, surely you don't use any of their products and therefore whatever they do should not affect you in anyway. God forbid they try to make a profit
Old 04-05-2008, 07:16 PM
KISSfn
Pro

If you have Nav and XM here's a great workaround: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...highlight=ipod
Many thanks to Ray and Gearhead65 for posting excellent pics! I would steer clear of the Radio Shack junk cord and get one from Best Buy. I had problems with the Shack cord. Now I don't need to wait for GM's imaginary PAL and my iPod works great!
Old 04-05-2008, 07:48 PM
paz
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't be too hard on GM. GM has to come up with a retrofit design to fit several different audio systems that will not be used in the future. Realistically, where's their incentive in that? We bought cars that did not have an iPod/AUX option and now we EXPECT, dare I say DEMAND a solution. And don't rant about Apple, there are thousands of after market devices that play/control/display iPods with audio units and remotes.

Quick Reply: *UPDATE* GM PAL System Delayed again