C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual tranny oil leak ... help !

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:23 PM
dachy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Manual tranny oil leak ... help !

Hey guys .. (sorry a little long)
I found this info (below), what I believe might be the problem in my case. I have a small leak that appears to be coming from the weep whole ...

1. My question is, can anyone point out where would this be located: [quote from "condition" below] - the rear housing inner seal has dislodged from the housing bore.

Any pics greatly appreciated of the location of the rear housing inner seal that may be leaking ...

2. Also what is "RTV" [from "instructions" below]

3. How hard is this to fix ???
I don't want to drive 200 miles to nearest Corvette service, so I'm thinking my friend who is a mechanic could fix this for me, just want to have some info beforehand just in case.

Thank you so much !!

Models: 2005-2006 Chevrolet Corvette
with 6-Speed Manual (RPOs - MM6 and MZ6)
This PI has been revised to add the 2006 Model year. Please discard PIP3442.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Customer may be concerned about a transmission fluid leak on their 2005-2006 Corvette equipped with a manual transmission. The fluid leak will be between the axle and the transmission emanating from the weep hole. Disassembly may find the rear housing inner seal has dislodged from the housing bore.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Replace the rear transmission housing inner seal and use RTV on the outer diameter of the seal to retain it in the housing.
Part Number
Description

SEAL,MAIN SHF INR

SEAL,MAIN SHF OTR
Old 04-15-2008, 06:54 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This information falls in the category of ...."If you have to ask what this inner seal IS, there's no chance in **** you'll be able to replace it yourself.

You would have to remove the torque tube cover, drive shaft, pull the transmission and rear drive axle,which means you'll have to disassemble a good part of the rear suspension to disconnect the half shafts, then separate the two gear boxes to replace the inner and outer seals between the two boxes. This is a nine hammer job...take it to the dealer. If the car is out of warranty, this work will cost you an arm and a leg...I think I would just let it drip until I traded it.

RTV...An old terminology coined by the original inventor, General Electric Company...you seldom see it used anymore: Room Temperature Vulcanizing rubber, aka silicone.

Quick Reply: Manual tranny oil leak ... help !