C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Door Wont Stay Shut.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Astronomer
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Gas Door Wont Stay Shut.

While driving to Wyoming yesterday my gas door popped open. Now it wont close. Had to Duct tape it shut to get home!

Other than a trip to a dealer; any ideas?

(I searched both the FAC and forum BTW)
Old 04-20-2008, 09:33 AM
comes alive
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel door

there is a thin cable to the fuel door in the rear drivers side under rear glass it is pulled out . push it in.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:46 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by comes alive
there is a thin cable to the fuel door in the rear drivers side under rear glass it is pulled out . push it in.
-OR - The solenoid that latches it is stuck. When you push the button it should go thunk-thunk and you can easily see it move. If it doesn't, clean out what has gummed it up.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Astronomer
Pro

Originally Posted by comes alive
I see the cable. When I push the gas door opener, it even retracts the little end that holds the door shut. It just no longer extends far enough into the fuel area and the door at first latches but pops right open again with the slightest jar to the car frame.

Are you saying that I can adjust the cable?

Thanks for the replys!
Old 04-20-2008, 10:13 AM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

check that the cable is free
Old 04-20-2008, 10:23 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Astronomer
I see the cable. When I push the gas door opener, it even retracts the little end that holds the door shut. It just no longer extends far enough into the fuel area and the door at first latches but pops right open again with the slightest jar to the car frame.

Are you saying that I can adjust the cable?

Thanks for the replys!
If you have some WD40 I'd just give the little mechanism a very small squirt and work the end of the of the button in and out. It may just be dirty. If that doesn't do it, your spring may be gone. As I recall, members have had luck replacing that with a small spring from a ball point pen.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:32 AM
2 GRUMPY
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I had this happen just this week.I just pushed the emergency gas door cable located in the hatch area and it pushed the pin back into place,it's staying closed so far.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Astronomer
Pro

Whoohoo! Thanks everyone! I love this forum!
Old 04-20-2008, 10:59 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

While driving to Wyoming yesterday my gas door popped open. Now it wont close. Had to Duct tape it shut to get home!

Other than a trip to a dealer; any ideas?

(I searched both the FAC and forum BTW)
Id rip it off completely! JK

I would just take it to the dealer unless your handy with tools and can find out why it wont stay shut, even still. Sounds like the clip that holds it in might need to be replaced.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:05 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Whoohoo! Thanks everyone! I love this forum!
OK! So which of the suggestions did the trick?
Old 04-20-2008, 01:57 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
If you have some WD40 I'd just give the little mechanism a very small squirt and work the end of the of the button in and out. It may just be dirty. If that doesn't do it, your spring may be gone. As I recall, members have had luck replacing that with a small spring from a ball point pen.
Yep, In GM's infinite cheapness they chose to use a mild steel spring instead of stainless. Eventually the spring corrodes and falls apart.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Astronomer
Pro

Originally Posted by johnodrake
OK! So which of the suggestions did the trick?
Went to the dealer service area. Figured I am a novice with car repair and they were the experts.

First thing the dealer said was the solenoid is gone. I pointed out that when I pushed the gas door open button, not only did the solenoid click, it retracted the cable. I suggested it may be the spring or the cable got gummed up. Then the service tech (along with the service manager)opens the rear hatch and begins yanking (HARD) on the emergency driver side door release!!! At the same time the tech started pulling the interior fabric away from the side of the Vette. By this point I realized they were CLUELESS!!

The Manager said, "you will have to leave the car with us for a few days since we will have to remove this side body panels of the car to get in there to see what is wrong".

At that point, I told em to back off from my Vette, I pushed the interior carpet back in place and left. So much for dealer maintenance. I would not take my tricycle to that dealer.

So, I still have duct tape on the side of the Vette. Sigh.

Not sure how to get in there to fix it myself.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:52 AM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Went to the dealer service area. Figured I am a novice with car repair and they were the experts.

First thing the dealer said was the solenoid is gone. I pointed out that when I pushed the gas door open button, not only did the solenoid click, it retracted the cable. I suggested it may be the spring or the cable got gummed up. Then the service tech (along with the service manager)opens the rear hatch and begins yanking (HARD) on the emergency driver side door release!!! At the same time the tech started pulling the interior fabric away from the side of the Vette. By this point I realized they were CLUELESS!!

The Manager said, "you will have to leave the car with us for a few days since we will have to remove this side body panels of the car to get in there to see what is wrong".

At that point, I told em to back off from my Vette, I pushed the interior carpet back in place and left. So much for dealer maintenance. I would not take my tricycle to that dealer.

pitiful dealer. good owner response. bet u left him with a mouth wide open?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Astronomer
Pro

Originally Posted by mikejpss
Thanks!

Unfortunately I still don’t know how to fix this. It is embarrassing to drive the Vette with duct tape on the side.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Astronomer
Pro

Originally Posted by mikejpss
Actually, I don't think he cared one way or the other. He (the service manager) was pretty nasty, not only to me, but everyone else there as well.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:09 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Open fuel door and you will see a nut on the pin that holds the door closed, remove the nut. jack up car, Remove driver side rear wheel, remove the tabs holdind the plastic inner fender in place and you will have full access to the cable. You can either repair your old cable with a modified spring from an ink pen or buy an entirely new cable, I would probably just buy the new cable/solennoid assuming it is cheap. If you want to repair it, the end that has the pin that holds the fuel door shut, there is a small plastic case that can be popped open, inside is probably your damaged and corroded spring, I replace mine with a modified spring from an ink pen, it took me two or three different pens to find a spring that I could modify to fit properly.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Astronomer
Pro

Originally Posted by C6400hp
Open fuel door and you will see a nut on the pin that holds the door closed, remove the nut. jack up car, Remove driver side rear wheel, remove the tabs holdind the plastic inner fender in place and you will have full access to the cable. You can either repair your old cable with a modified spring from an ink pen or buy an entirely new cable, I would probably just buy the new cable/solennoid assuming it is cheap. If you want to repair it, the end that has the pin that holds the fuel door shut, there is a small plastic case that can be popped open, inside is probably your damaged and corroded spring, I replace mine with a modified spring from an ink pen, it took me two or three different pens to find a spring that I could modify to fit properly.
Aces!

Thanks!

Again to everyone - this forum rocks. I am honored to be a member here.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Door Wont Stay Shut.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:50 PM
It'sHerVette!
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Just had the same problem. After reading this thread i went out and pushed in the emergency release and voila the fuel door now latches.

This forum is awesome!

Update, that worked for a short time. i ended up having the dealer replace the latching assembly under warrantee.

Last edited by It'sHerVette!; 04-27-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Original fix was temporary at best.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:31 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Don't you feel like the tape makes it look like a real grown up race car! But seriously, put some masking tape on it instead of the duct tape. If left out in the sun, the duct tape will leave nasty adhesive that is very hard to get off. Don't ask me how I know!
Old 06-29-2008, 12:15 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, time to rehash my 5 cent repair of this problem. There are a few possible causes for the gas door not latching. As others have noted, the plunger may not be extending far enough due to a bad spring or a hung up cable. To diagnose this, see if the plunger moves in and out when you push on it with your thumb (if so the spring is fine), also watch it and see it moves in and out when you push the release button (solenoid fine). Check the emergency release cable to see if it is binding. If these things work, the solenoid, spring, and cable aren't the problem. On my car, it was none of the above. Instead, the gas door had warped ever so slightly. This caused the latch catch cast into the door to lean back far enough in warm weather to not positively engage the solenoid. When it was cool, the door still latched, but if the car had been in the sun for an hour or so, the door wouldn't latch.

After looking at a number of alternative repair scenarios, it became apparent that simply gluing a slightly reshaped nickel to the face of the latch would take up the slack and let the door reliably latch whether hot or cold. 3 years later, it is still working perfectly.

Quick Reply: Gas Door Wont Stay Shut.