C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield scratches

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Sonic1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield scratches

Anyone had any luck getting wiper scratches out? I don't know how they got there, just appeared one day. I've tried CCP windshield scratch remover and rain-x glass polish with no luck. Do I have to get a new windshield? Thoughts?
Old 04-21-2008, 07:20 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

Take it to an auto glass place. One in my area said they could buff out most scratches.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:34 AM
surburban99
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackZ51Vett
Take it to an auto glass place. One in my area said they could buff out most scratches.

I had small scratches that were caused by my wipers on my 2007 Silverado. You could only see them when driving into the sunlight.

Took it to my local glass dealer, they were able to buff them out. Cost around $100, but well worth it.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:15 AM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

I have a couple of scratches in mine, but the body shop was not able to buff them out. Seems like the Vette glass is more prone to scratches than other cars. Not sure why, but if the scratch is deep enough, you won't get it out no matter what you do.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

My first C6Z had scratches and they were polished out with no problems.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:18 AM
lytmup
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MNVette
I have a couple of scratches in mine, but the body shop was not able to buff them out. Seems like the Vette glass is more prone to scratches than other cars. Not sure why, but if the scratch is deep enough, you won't get it out no matter what you do.
One of the reasons that the wipers scratch so bad on Vettes is due to the fact that GM put the washer squirt ON the wiper stalk AFTER a dry swipe.

So, that means if you are washing the windows to remove grime/etc, the wipers will do a dry swipe prior to actually having liquid.

Brilliant!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:56 AM
matsarge
Melting Slicks

I have some in mine but to be honest, I drive it enough that if I spend money to get them bluffed out today, there will be more there in no time. I'll just wait for the "big bang" to occur and get a new windshield.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:49 PM
wsharp24
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by matsarge
I have some in mine but to be honest, I drive it enough that if I spend money to get them bluffed out today, there will be more there in no time. I'll just wait for the "big bang" to occur and get a new windshield.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:21 PM
taz1613
Instructor

Default Scratches

I have to replace the winshield due to a "punk" busting it out. Some people just can not handle when someone has nicer things. Anyways the winshields through insurance are $1500

Taz1613

So try to buff out
Old 05-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Walkthedog
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am a contractor and sometimes I use a product to clean the stuff off shower doors. It is available at good hardware stores. You could use that if this is a continous problem. I usually use this polish then a rain x on shower doors. Should work fine on our cars.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:44 PM
AndysZ
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Walkthedog
I am a contractor and sometimes I use a product to clean the stuff off shower doors. It is available at good hardware stores. You could use that if this is a continous problem. I usually use this polish then a rain x on shower doors. Should work fine on our cars.
And the name of the product is ??????
Old 05-12-2008, 05:50 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by lytmup
One of the reasons that the wipers scratch so bad on Vettes is due to the fact that GM put the washer squirt ON the wiper stalk AFTER a dry swipe.

So, that means if you are washing the windows to remove grime/etc, the wipers will do a dry swipe prior to actually having liquid.

Brilliant!
I agree that GM has always missed the boat on this. What would it take to wet the glass first? That's why I started adding Rain-Ex to my windshield fluid. It keeps the glass slicker.You might try some jeweler's rouge on the scratches.

Get notified of new replies

To windshield scratches

Quick Reply: windshield scratches