C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior lights on 06 acting funny...

Old 04-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Dunc
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interior lights on 06 acting funny...

The other night I noticed when I shut the door the courtesy floor lights went out after a few seconds like they should but the rear view mirror lights (reading lights) stayed on. I checked the on/off buttons - they were off. I read the manual and sure enough they went out after about 20 minutes when the battery saver kicked in. Ever since they stay on for 20 minutes whenever I open/close the door then go out. The courtesy light switch turns the floor lights on/off but has no effect on the reading lights Any ideas? Maybe unhooking the battery for a while? Hate to do that cause then I have to reset everything. My dealer is barely competent - I'm sure they will want to replace the entire electrical system. It's not a big deal during the day but at night the reading lights stay on all the time while I'm driving. Not good. Save me from the dealer!!
Old 04-25-2008, 04:58 PM
Die2Win
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is the switch on the dash is bad. Anyone else had something like this?
Old 04-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Michael Hunter
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, I have had similiar problems. I know I do not touch the dash dimming button but on numerous occassions I will shut the car off, walk away and the mirror lights stay on. I go back start the car and shut it off and they will go off like normal. A couple of times I actually pushed the dimming switch and then walk away and they go off. I have been thinking I must have bumped the dimming switch button but, I don't feel I'm that clumsy. I'm just riding it out to save a trip to the dealers. 5,000 miles on the car and there hasn't seemed to be any other problem so far. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed! Please keep us posted on what you find out.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:23 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

The dash switch on the left of the wheel will not APPEAR to do anything if the car still has the mirror lights on because you just closed the door. Turn off the car and then get out, but then get back in, close the door and sit there. When the car turns off the other interior lights, THEN go ahead and try turning off the mirror lights using the switch on the dash and/or the ones on the mirror....it should work. Let us know...

Last edited by cclive; 04-25-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Dunc
Heel & Toe

OK... This should take about ooohhh - 20 minutes. Be right back.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Dunc
Heel & Toe

OK cclive - your a genius! It worked. Not sure I understand the logic but thats ok too. The lights work the way they should now. Only took 10 minutes - well ok 5 minutes - I had to take a quick listen to that new MP3 mix.... Thanks again cclive.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:24 PM
obaidan
Instructor

Default Solution

I had the same issue and the guys in the forum helped me solve it, see thread below:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...nterior+lights

Basically, you do the following:
- For the two R/L buttons which turns the lights under the rear view mirror on and off, these two buttons should be pressed in. Usually, you press on them to turn the lights on. The right positions are they are pressed in so they become shorter in length.
- For the light switch in the instrument cluster, the round button which is located to the left side of the steering wheel column right above your left knee when you sit in the driver's seat. This light turns right or left to dimm or change the intensity of the brightness level in the instrument cluster gauges, you need to press on it to turn it off or on. This buttons controls the weird behavior of the lights under the rear side view mirror staying on even after you leave the car for a long time. As you press with your finger on it, you will notice the lights under the rear side view mirror go on and off.

This what worked for me, now the lights under the mirror shut down instantly and don't stay that long after I turn off the car.

Last edited by obaidan; 04-25-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:24 PM
whtwlf
Racer

Originally Posted by cclive
The dash switch on the left of the wheel will not APPEAR to do anything if the car still has the mirror lights on because you just closed the door. Turn off the car and then get out, but then get back in, close the door and sit there. When the car turns off the other interior lights, THEN go ahead and try turning off the mirror lights using the switch on the dash and/or the ones on the mirror....it should work. Let us know...
Thx guys I was having the same problem....not anymore
Old 04-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Die2Win
Racer

Way to Go CCLIVE !
Old 11-20-2009, 08:36 PM
marc55
Advanced

Default Interior Lights Stay on over 15 Minutes

Thanks so much, CCLIVE, for solving my issue with the interior lights. Your suggestion to push in the round button to the left of the steering wheel worked and the interior lights shut off in less than 20 seconds. I appreciate the help as I have put up with this issue for a couple of months now. Wave On!

Marc
Bend, Oregon
Old 02-20-2010, 01:47 PM
zare191
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Problem solved

Thx CCLIVE for the info on solving the interior lighting problem. Worked like a charm and saved my '07 from its first trip to the dreaded dealer service department,
Old 02-20-2010, 08:43 PM
jcapps
Drifting

Received 546 Likes on 168 Posts

funny this happened to me 30 minutes ago. I actually did what cclive posted when I was out there and the lights went off. I came in and logged in for the first time since this am and see this thread, timely
Old 02-20-2010, 09:21 PM
cclive
Team Owner

I like this thread........
Old 03-23-2010, 10:58 PM
aeisner007
1st Gear

Default reading light problem

the engineers responsible for this should be sent into orbit....what a moronic system!!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by aeisner007
the engineers responsible for this should be sent into orbit....what a moronic system!!
Not moronic at all. It allows you to turn on all interior lights with one simple push of a button.

What's moronic is people who won't read their owner's manual.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:17 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by aeisner007
Agreed, but we still need to help people deal with it.....
Old 04-08-2010, 01:02 AM
Watchwait
Intermediate

Is there supposed to be a light in the passenger door button? My drivers side does, but not the passenger side.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior lights on 06 acting funny...

Old 04-08-2010, 12:54 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Yes...on pass side, the door button, the door lock and the window switch are lit.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:49 AM
MildBill
Advanced

Originally Posted by JimTN
Not moronic at all. It allows you to turn on all interior lights with one simple push of a button.

What's moronic is people who won't read their owner's manual.
I believe this system is more imbecilic than moronic. I think we tend to malign morons too much in our society when it's really the imbeciles that cause most of the trouble.

I just got the car and on my first night drive on I-95 between Baltimore and Richmond I ran into this problem. Verrrry distressing as it caused my windows to become mirrors. I guess I could have whipped out the manual and read about it during the drive. Thanks for the positive reinforcement JimTN
Old 06-16-2010, 06:52 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by cclive
I like this thread........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior lights on 06 acting funny...