C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top manual vs. power?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 11:17 AM
CH-Z51
Drifting

Location: The Great Pacific Northwest...........I carry a gun cause a cops too heavy.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slacker1201
I vote for power top. I didn't want it at first but now I am really glad that I got it.
Same here!
Old 04-26-2008, 11:27 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Nothing wrong with a manual top, you don't have to worry about it breaking! I personally like not getting out of the car to put the top up and down. Plus I can do it while moving
You cannot put the top up or down while moving. I learned that the hard way when I tied up traffic at a busy intersection. You must be in PARK with your foot on the BRAKE in order for the power top to work.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:46 AM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Top Gt
Prior to the C6, the cars never had a power top. If it was good for the first 50 years, it'll be good enough for another 50.
Actually, they did have power tops in the early 60's and then not again until '05.

I do not have a power top, but I'm perfectly fine with the manual top. In fact, I can get it up or down faster than if it were power.

Elaine
Old 04-26-2008, 11:59 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

As has already been pointed out, keep in mind that if you get a manual top on a 2009 you'll be looking at a 1LT. This means no side air bags, no seat memory, no HUD, no heated seats, no Bose (which is no big deal), no interior color choices except solid ebony, no ability to order navigation, etc. I know that I wouldn't be happy without most of those features.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:06 PM
systems
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a power to pa and enjoy having it, especially when it starts to rain by surprise... riding on the highway and a suprise cloud shows up with just enough water in it to start dripping on the car... most times I try to drive through, but sometimes it has started to Pour and having the PT has been great!!!

one warning.... the PT blocks a portion of the trunk that that manual does not... and that has been the worst impact of the PT...
Old 04-26-2008, 12:37 PM
BACH
Pro

I HAD A MANUEL TOP ON MY 05 VERT AND NOW A POWER TOP ON THE 08. TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH I DON'T SEE AND ADVANTAGE TO THE POWER TOP AND I'D BE PERFECTLY HAPPY WITH EITHER
Old 04-26-2008, 01:08 PM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

I imagine those going from coupe to convertible might be more satisfied with a manual top. I'm sure it's still 10 times less work than stowing the targa top.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Coach Yocs
Instructor

I have had two manual tops and my curent C6 is a power top. Love the power top and my next vert will also be a power top.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:38 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I would like to have had the manual top...same reasons...weight, complication, repair possibilities etc; and its such a small top that it is very easy to put up by hand...not like an old Cadillac top where it weighed 150 pounds. But they now have it bundled with all the other stuff, so its really tough to do. I love the HUD and the heated seats, and would not want to be without them, so I was really required to take the power top. On the positive side, this top is nothing like any previous american power convertible top. CTS is the company that does it, they are owned by Porsche and Daimler Benz and they also do the tops on Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, etc etc. Mine is almost identical to the top on my Dad's Boxster. CTS started doing Corvette tops with the C6.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:00 PM
siggi-annette
Instructor

Originally Posted by cclive
I would like to have had the manual top...same reasons...weight, complication, repair possibilities etc; and its such a small top that it is very easy to put up by hand...not like an old Cadillac top where it weighed 150 pounds. But they now have it bundled with all the other stuff, so its really tough to do. I love the HUD and the heated seats, and would not want to be without them, so I was really required to take the power top. On the positive side, this top is nothing like any previous american power convertible top. CTS is the company that does it, they are owned by Porsche and Daimler Benz and they also do the tops on Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, etc etc. Mine is almost identical to the top on my Dad's Boxster. CTS started doing Corvette tops with the C6.
I bought no C 5 Vert which there was no electronic roof. Now I have received the second C6 Vert and it is nice. A Mazda MX5 has an electronic roof.

My new Vert 2008 3LT

greetings from Germany
Siggi
Old 04-26-2008, 02:17 PM
jeffyhog
Instructor

I have the power top, but really just because it came bundled in the 3LT package with other items I really wanted- HUD and heated seats. the telescoping wheel and homelink I could do without.
I think it's that GM forces you to buy an expensive package just to get one or two options that you really want. The power top is a very cool option, but I would have thought real hard about dropping an additional $2000 on it (which I believe was the cost when it was a stand-alone option).
Old 04-26-2008, 02:31 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffyhog
I have the power top, but really just because it came bundled in the 3LT package with other items I really wanted- HUD and heated seats. the telescoping wheel and homelink I could do without.
I think it's that GM forces you to buy an expensive package just to get one or two options that you really want. The power top is a very cool option, but I would have thought real hard about dropping an additional $2000 on it (which I believe was the cost when it was a stand-alone option).
Bingo...
Old 04-26-2008, 07:19 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
You cannot put the top up or down while moving. I learned that the hard way when I tied up traffic at a busy intersection. You must be in PARK with your foot on the BRAKE in order for the power top to work.
I'll fill you in on a little secret... Click the parking brake up one click and the top will work! I don't recommend doing this over 25 cause you could bend something!

Your welcome
Old 04-26-2008, 07:31 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

My opinion? It's a good idea, and a good way to save money. And I guess Corvette heard that message because they're making it a bit more available and to reduce the initial cost.

However, the 3LT only came with power top, and I wanted the features (not all, but some) of the 3LT. So, power top it was.

Now, after using the top, I'd say, it's pretty convenient to have a power top. Is it essential? No, just convenient. Unless you're really doddering, I don't think you'll ever really say, "Gee, I was so dumb not to buy the power top!!!!"

Good luck with your choice.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:31 PM
rm50
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by sixdogs
I know this has been much discussed but I am thinking of an '09 convertible--mostly because I like the way it looks as opposed to the mere fact of putting the top down. Plus, I understand the radio sounds better and noises are reduced. So the top will maybe get put down a few times a year.
I want to buy a manual top because I am frugal but I don't want to be silly. Is a maunual top a good or bad idea---under my circumstances?

Central Ohio
'07 coupe, 6 spd, Victory Red
Would you buy a TV without a remote control. No, because you want the convinence of the remote.
The power top is the same thing. It is convinent to have a power top.
I highly recommend a power top.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

My wifes Solstice GXP has a manual top...enuf said!
Old 04-26-2008, 08:29 PM
SorcererXIII
Pro

I got the manual top. I've had my car 8 days and I already tore it - the headliner got caught in the mechanis, and now that the hole is there is wants to snag every time. So clearly manual tops aren't infallible.

I got the manual top just for price reasons. A vert is already $8500 more than a coupe. I felt dumb enough paying this. Then the convertible top is $5100. So together that's $13600 to have a power ragtop over a targa, minus discounts plus tax. I had to stop spending somewhere...I considered going halfway to be reasonable compromise.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible top manual vs. power?

Old 04-26-2008, 10:09 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The manual top is about as easy as can be. Why add the weight of a power top when it is unnecessary?

Old 04-26-2008, 10:28 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by keyplyr

The manual top is about as easy as can be. Why add the weight of a power top when it is unnecessary?

You've got 19/20's right?

Old 04-26-2008, 11:03 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
You've got 19/20's right?

Your point is?

...if it's weight, I'm 3 ponds lighter in the rear and 2 pounds lighter in the front each wheel than OEM

Quick Reply: Convertible top manual vs. power?