C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 8 months here: the How & Why I chose, 2LT, Base, MN6, NPP

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Crimecrusher
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After 8 months here: the How & Why I chose, 2LT, Base, MN6, NPP

After reading the forum everyday for 8 months and reading every post I could find on Base, Z51, F55, Bose, 1LT, 2LT, or 3LT, NPP, etc… I have made a well educated decision on my 2008 order. So here is a summery of why and how I made the choices I did. My order is a JSB, Coupe, 2LT, NPP, QX1, MN6, R8C

Coupe over Convertible: I really like the targa top because it gives you that convertible feel without the cloth top. The coupe just looks better and faster than a soft top. For the money, the coupe was the best choice for me. My last few cars have been a convertible.

1LT, 2LT, or 3LT: I constantly went back and forth with this decision. I liked the price of the 1LT, and the HUD on the 3LT. However, I chose the 2LT. I liked the upgraded seat with perforated leather on the 2LT. The leather just felt better than the 1LT. The 2LT also gives you a passenger power seat and side airbags. I liked the safety features of the 2LT over the 1LT and giving my wife a power seat. All of the other 2LT items were items I could use. So after ruling out the 1LT then I started looking at the 3LT. In fact this was a last second change on my order. I didn’t like the fact that I couldn’t just plug in my iPod into the Bose system and I could on the 2LT. If you read on here about the Bose system you’ll find 5 of 10 that like it and 5 of ten that hate it. However, the ones that hate it are more vocal than the ones that like it. I figured if I got the Bose, then I’d need to spend some more money upgrading the system…so why not save that money and upgrade the 2LT system. However, I really like the HUD and felt I had to have it. I drove a 3LT and thought it was really cool. I then drove a car without the HUD and thought that car was really cool too…the gauges look good. I’ve never had HUD, so I can’t miss something I don’t have. This came down to the 3LT being $2550 more than the 2LT and the only thing I liked about it was the HUD. I didn’t want any of the other 3LT items, so $2550 was not worth it to me for HUD.

Base, Z51, or F55: I really think this more about marketing to corvette buyers than anything else. A lot of what you read on this forum and from GM almost makes you feel that the base system is a dog and you NEED to upgrade your suspension to enjoy driving a vette…not true. I drove all three and could tell a little difference in all three. One factor that played into this decision was my wife complained about how my uncles C4 drove so rough and bouncy. So she didn’t want me to get a Vette.
I really liked the Z51 due to the extra coolers and gearing. However, the Z51 MN6 has the same gearing as the base MN6…it’s just set up a little different to make it feel snappier. The Z51 drove very nice and smoother than my custom suspension Mustang. However, the Z51 was very bouncy on rough roads and even felt a little out of control or not as stable as the base system on the same road. The F55 didn’t really feel much different than the base. At first, I was sold on the Z51, then the F55 and the more I read and test drove…the base is just as good of any of the three for everyday street driving. All three are good setups for what they are designed to do, but the base is not any worse than the other on everyday streets. In fact, I found the base system to be the best system for just cruising around town. So I went base.

NPP: This was a must have for me. I’ve upgraded exhaust on every sports car I’ve owned since age 18, now I’m 40. I don’t like that my wife and I can’t carry on a normal conversation while going into town due to the drone or loud exhaust. The NPP give me the louder tone I like and it can be turned down when she is in the car…Nice. This was a no brainer and GM designed this system for guys like me.

Auto vs MN6: All of my sports cars have been manual transmissions. My wife’s BMW is an auto and very fun to drive too. I thought about the auto after driving a 07 MN6 and then driving an auto 08. The 08 auto felt much quicker than the 07 MN6…I think just due to the LS3. The MN6 gives you that sports car feel that the auto just couldn’t do for me. So I had to go MN6 after driving both in a 08. I’m a control freak and need to have that control.

The R8C was something I really wanted to do but figured it would cost me around $1500. A forum dealer gave me a $1400 discount over my local dealer…so it paid for this experience. Wheels and color choices just come down to what you like personally. When I was a 6 year old child, all I remember hearing is how much my dad wanted a blue corvette. He then bought a 1966 blue stingray Vette and now I’m getting my first blue Vette.

Keep in mind I’ve never owned a corvette and this will be my first. But after reading this forum for several months this is how I was educated on the car. So this is how I chose these options after considering all of the above and my budget.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:01 PM
switchplanner
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Very sound reasoning! and I agree with your choices, except for the Z51, great bargan for the $$$. Good luck with your new C6
Old 04-26-2008, 07:03 PM
surburban99
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Very good write up on your choices. Hope you enjoy your new ride!!!!
Old 04-26-2008, 07:06 PM
El Dorado
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

I may not totally agree with your choices, but that is exactly why they have so many friggin' combinations to choose from. Something to suit just about every taste in a Vette......... From a base 430 hp coupe to a ZR1..........They are all awsome!
Old 04-26-2008, 07:15 PM
marc4427
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 47 Posts

Congrats and Enjoy your ride.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:15 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You Really Did Your Homework!!! No wonder you really understand the pros and cons.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:45 AM
JSVet08
Racer

Great combo! That's what I got. Minus the R8C.

Good luck with it!
Old 04-27-2008, 08:47 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Great write-up, great choice, now enjoy the ride.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default 2lt/3lt

"I didn’t like the fact that I couldn’t just plug in my iPod into the Bose system and I could on the 2LT".
The above is from your comments. I don't know why you think you couldn't just plug in your ipod on the 3LT equiped car. I have the 3LT and I plug in the ipod...front of radio system.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:10 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,219 Likes on 409 Posts

We all go through the same selection process when we get our cars. It can be very difficult.

I just put in my order for a 2009. I came up with the 3LT, vert, with F55, NPP, and polished wheels. Coming off a Z51 coupe, I really wanted to try something different. I like the looks and practicality of the coupe, but wanted to go back to an open top roadster.

I love the crisp feel of the Z51, but with our roads getting worse and worse, I thought the F55 might be more forgiving...and easily upgradeable with Z51 sway bars.

I drove an NPP equipped car and loved the sound. I have Corsa Sports now, but the idea of quiet cruising below 4K, and a wide open sound above 4K was just too tempting.

My 2005 does have the 1SB (3LT) package. I do really need the telescoping wheel, and the 2LT doesn't offer that feature. Also, having used the HUD for nearly 4 years, I don't think I'd want to give it up. Especially like that lateral g force meter.

So...no bad choices here. Get what you think you want, for a price you can afford, and you'll be fine.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by switchplanner
Very sound reasoning! and I agree with your choices, except for the Z51, great bargan for the $$$. Good luck with your new C6
Old 04-27-2008, 09:27 AM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-27-2008, 09:27 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Great thought process and thanks for sharing.

Can you explain this though?

I really liked the Z51 due to the extra coolers and gearing. However, the Z51 MN6 has the same gearing as the base MN6…it’s just set up a little different to make it feel snappier

I thought the fourth gear or something was different in the Z51 cars..(not that its a big deal which gear or how much different but don't the z51 have different gears in the tranny or something..

Thanks in advance and both congratulations and best of luck with your new beautiful blue corvette.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:34 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Good reasoning...for you. Z51 gearing is in fact different.
HUD can be installed for 900 bucks or so.
NPP-I've heard it and IMHO-waste of money!Cheaper,better sounding units out there,FOR ME..
Old 04-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Ravenron
Intermediate

Crimecrusher...thanks for a great review. I am also on the verge of pulling the trigger on my first Corvette and your post pretty much sums up all of what I've been mulling over the last six months. I'm due back from Afghanistan soon and will be looking for a retirement gift very similar to what your ordered - exception being that I'm gonna skip the museum delivery and get the Z51 (oh, and gotta have the Velocity Yellow!).

Anyway, very succinct summary of the awesome quandry we find ourselves in - how blessed are we to have "problems" like these...

Old 04-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Vette'n04
Pro

GREAT review! These are the kinds of threads which make this forum so good and informative. It's interesting when you learn that others thought processes are not that much unlike your own!
Old 04-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Z09SS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Great write up on your thought process!

I have to congratulate you for being able to write it without a "my decision is better than yours" bias. That's amazingly hard to do when you love the decision you made!

For me the Z51 choice was less about suspension than extra cooling, brakes and gear ratios.

Getting the Army to kill off most of your hearing makes choosing a stereo a lot easier too!

Get notified of new replies

To After 8 months here: the How & Why I chose, 2LT, Base, MN6, NPP

Old 04-27-2008, 08:50 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on your choice.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Crimecrusher
Racer

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Great thought process and thanks for sharing.

Can you explain this though?

I really liked the Z51 due to the extra coolers and gearing. However, the Z51 MN6 has the same gearing as the base MN6…it’s just set up a little different to make it feel snappier

I thought the fourth gear or something was different in the Z51 cars..(not that its a big deal which gear or how much different but don't the z51 have different gears in the tranny or something..

Thanks in advance and both congratulations and best of luck with your new beautiful blue corvette.
Your right, I made a mistake in my OP that the gearing is differant. However here is a link to an earlier post about stock vs Z51 gearing that made up my mind on this issue for me.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...&highlight=z51
Old 04-27-2008, 10:23 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Excellent write-up! Congratulations! Gotta luv JSB!!

Quick Reply: After 8 months here: the How & Why I chose, 2LT, Base, MN6, NPP