C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery Issue Re-Visited

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:50 PM
CUTiger80
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery Issue Re-Visited

At the risk of being permanently banned from this forum, I am going to bring up the 2005 M6 dead battery issue again. I have searched the forum and read all I could find on this subject, but didn't see the answers I was looking for. Here is the brief history. Bought the car in early March 2008. Dealer (non-Chevy) had installed a new battery from Advance Auto. I drove the car extensively one weekend and then parked it without the battery tender connected for 6 days. Battery was dead as a hammer. Measured the voltage and it read 4.3 volts when removed from the car. Took it back to Advance and they said the battery was bad. Traded it for an Optima Red Top, which I installed 1-1/2 weeks ago. Car has been on battery tender since installing the battery except for the 1 day that I drove it to work & back. Took it to the local Chevy dealer (who sells lots of Vettes) yesterday for some fairly minor things and they had to keep it overnight waiting for a part. He checked the battery current draw with the car parked and said it was 10 mA, which he said was perfectly normal. Said he went out this morning and the battery was dead. He is looking into this further, but did not call back today. The car is not under warranty and I would prefer that he not charge me by the hour to learn about the Vette DBS. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can point him? Sounds like it is something that is definitely drawing the battery down unusually fast.
I have read a little about a "BCM Flash" that is supposed to help or cure this problem. Can someone tell me where to point the dealer in order to find out more about this?
I saw a post in FAQ that appeared to be a letter from GM on this subject several years ago (I think it was 2006). The letter indicated that they were diligently researching this problem, even to the point of installing a computer on several cars to monitor the electrical system over a long period or time. Does anyone know what the final outcome of this research was, and if there was a fix determined?
I don't mind putting the car on a battery tender when it sits in the garage for several days or weeks, but it seems that now I can't even trust it overnight without the tender. I sold a 67 GTO to buy the Vette becasue I wanted something that I could depend on for a long trip. At this point I think my old Goat was more dependable.
Please help!!
Old 04-30-2008, 09:58 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Fobs are not near the car and it's in reverse when shut down?

Sorry this is such a PIA for you .. . .good luck!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:16 PM
CUTiger80
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by CQRT
Fobs are not near the car and it's in reverse when shut down?

Sorry this is such a PIA for you .. . .good luck!
I'm not sure where the FOB was located when the car was at the dealer, but normally the key FOBs are kept in a box on the wall just inside the door to the house from the garage. Maybe 20-25 feet from the car. Is this too close?
Also, I read a post that the computer only starts looking for a FOB if a button on the FOB is pressed or the membrane panel on the door is touched. If that is true, then the proximity of the FOB to the car should not matter should it?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:25 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

If you don't get it fixed install a "priority start". At least it should save your battery so you can start the car if it's left off a tender for to long. If you go that route I'll sell you one cheap.. brand new, never used. I got it for my 06 and don't need it...... My car even sat for 7weeks and fired right up. Do more searches because there is a ton of info on the subject.... good luck....
Old 04-30-2008, 10:26 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

No, it's not correct. If the fob is within distance to the car, it's draining. Ordinarily, 25' should be enough. The test is, put it where you usually do, go out to the car and try to open the door or hatch. If it doesn't, I think you're ok on the distance away from car thing.

Also, do you park the car in reverse all the time?

I thought there were 2 computer re-do's?

Finally, has anyone checked your alternator for its output (and the related items, such as belt tension, etc.)? If the original battery was dead and gone, and an Advance battery in there, there is a possibility that the alternator was stressed and is not putting out what's needed by the current, good battery.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Rainmaker
Racer

Bulletin No.: 07-06-03-001B

Date: March 21, 2007

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Dead Battery, No Crank/No Start (Reprogram Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR))

Models:
2005-2007 Cadillac XLR (Including XLV-V)
2005-2007 Chevrolet Corvette (Including Z06)

Built Prior to the VIN Breakpoints shown.

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update the correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-03-001A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a dead battery after the vehicle has been parked for a extended period of time.

Typically, the battery will last approximately two weeks, depending on the initial state of battery charge.

Cause

A software anomaly within the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) causes an additional 30 mA draw on the battery when passive locking is enabled and the vehicle is parked.

Correction

Use the Pass-Thru method when programming and select "Replace and Reprogram ECU."

A new calibration has been released to correct this condition. Reprogram the RCDLR using SPS. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB.

On Corvette models, prior to reprogramming, remove the Radio/S-Band/VICS 15-amp fuse and the HVAC/PWR SND 10-amp fuse from the I/P electrical center (passenger floor). Also, the ignition must be in the "Key On Engine Off" mode.

If the programming does not finish successfully and the RCDLR appears to be in a "locked-up" state, DO NOT turn off the ignition, it can be reset by removing the RCDLR fuse (# 11 in the UBEC) for at least 30 seconds and reinstalling it. If the ignition was turned to OFF after the "locked up" condition occurred, its possible to continue programming by adding the VIN manually in TIS.

Tip

Transmitter programming and tire pressure learn procedures are NOT necessary after this reprogram.

Please refer to SI for additional information on other potential causes of battery drain.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:04 AM
vetzoom
Instructor

I know this may not help, but...I have had an '05 MN6 vert for about 18 months and 12,000 miles. Had two occasions of a dead battery, both of which were MY FAULT...left parked out of reverse when I could have sworn I put it in reverse; also bumped the interior light button with my knee (very common occurance)! I also bought an Optima Red Top, and it happened once to that battery when I missed reverse. But I have had no issues for about a year now, and I'm just very careful. The car has sat for up to 2 weeks with no problem. I never had the BCM reflash. Point I'm making: it ain't always the car's fault (please don't be offended). I think the DBS thing in '05's has been grossly over blamed for dead batteries. I just wish GM had not put this reverse feature on '05's in the first place. But that is really my only complaint about the car. It has been just as reliable, and maybe moreso, as my past 40 some cars (first Vette!). Hope things get better for you. Don't be discouraged by your '05 - they are great cars.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:04 AM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Just make sure the car's in reverse. I've forgotten a few times and then it's dead as a dodo.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:30 AM
CUTiger80
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by cthusker
If you don't get it fixed install a "priority start". At least it should save your battery so you can start the car if it's left off a tender for to long. If you go that route I'll sell you one cheap.. brand new, never used. I got it for my 06 and don't need it...... My car even sat for 7weeks and fired right up. Do more searches because there is a ton of info on the subject.... good luck....
CTHusker, thanks for the offer. I will take you up on the Priority Start. I will attempt to email you directly about it. I'm going to call the dealer this morning and talk to him about some of the research I did last night and see what he knows.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:34 AM
CUTiger80
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the info. I will pass this along to the dealer. This is the first time I have dealt with this dealer, so this will be the test to see if he is "smart enough" to have checked this already.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:39 AM
CUTiger80
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by vetzoom
I know this may not help, but...I have had an '05 MN6 vert for about 18 months and 12,000 miles. Had two occasions of a dead battery, both of which were MY FAULT...left parked out of reverse when I could have sworn I put it in reverse; also bumped the interior light button with my knee (very common occurance)! I also bought an Optima Red Top, and it happened once to that battery when I missed reverse. But I have had no issues for about a year now, and I'm just very careful. The car has sat for up to 2 weeks with no problem. I never had the BCM reflash. Point I'm making: it ain't always the car's fault (please don't be offended). I think the DBS thing in '05's has been grossly over blamed for dead batteries. I just wish GM had not put this reverse feature on '05's in the first place. But that is really my only complaint about the car. It has been just as reliable, and maybe moreso, as my past 40 some cars (first Vette!). Hope things get better for you. Don't be discouraged by your '05 - they are great cars.
Thanks for the encouragement. I always make the first assumption that I am not doing something right. It sounds (from other posts) that if the dealer parked the car out of reverse (which he should have know better) then that alone could be the cause of the dead battery at his shop. I will call him this morning and quiz him about it. I'll get him the check the alternator as suggested and also check the "dark current" with the FOB nearby and then far away. If all of those are OK, then I think I will tell him to stop trying to figure it out, bring it home and run some controlled tests myself.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:41 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The above SB is not for the "BCM" that is one for the RCDLR reprogram which was also thought to have a hand in dead battereies.

The main reflash you want is the PIC4188 for Dead batteries which has a reflash for the BCM that addresses dead batteries. This is the reflash that everbody talks about. If you can get the BCM and RCDLR done at the same time that would be the best bet for fixing DBS isssues.

See post #29 of the thread below for more info on the BCM reflash.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1528339

I had both done about a year ago and have had no issues ever since.

Ben
Old 05-01-2008, 06:56 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeCreations
The above SB is not for the "BCM" that is one for the RCDLR reprogram which was also thought to have a hand in dead battereies.

The main reflash you want is the PIC4188 for Dead batteries which has a reflash for the BCM that addresses dead batteries. This is the reflash that everbody talks about. If you can get the BCM and RCDLR done at the same time that would be the best bet for fixing DBS isssues.

Ben
Have them do this and your problems will be over. Many have had it done and it works.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:11 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Get the reflash
ALWAYS leave the car in reverse
always put the tender on it at home when parked!
Old 05-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 453 Likes on 229 Posts

The 05 is the only C6 year that requires the shift to be in reverse when shut off, if you have the six speed.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:12 AM
SpdWhite
Racer

Ben
I had 6 DBS episodes and three new batteries by the dealer.

I had the above done and haven't had a problem since.

Keeping my fingers crossed. My wife doesn't trust the car and I have my concerns. I do use a battery tender when stored for more than a month but I refuse to put other "bandaids" on a $60K+ car.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:10 AM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Ben
This is 100% correct.

Brief history - the so-called DBS issue had 2 unique problems. The first was on 2005 MN6 cars. The first reflash dealt with that problem. The second issue hit later MN6 cars AND A6's into late 2006 production. My A6 had 3 attacks and new batteries until the reflash was done. No problems since.

I don't car what anyone says, there is absolutely NO legitimate reason why a Corvette, regardless of what gear it's in when it's parked or what was "left on" when you shut the car off, should eat a batter after only a few days. A month? I can see that, with all the electronics. But 6 days? NO!

Get your reflashes done and your problems should be solved. I am amazed that a 2005 went this long and didn't get this done. The work SHOULD be done by a GM tech for free since it is a known issue. Even if they insist on charging you, it should only take 20 minutes, tops. No real labor involved - just hooking a computer to the car and reprogramming it.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead Battery Issue Re-Visited

Old 05-01-2008, 10:24 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The OEM battery in my 2006 Z06 dies after about 3 days if left off the Battery Tender. Plan to have the the reprogram done at next oil change.

PS: Put a new DieHard in the wife's '98 C5 convertible. That thing can sit for months and starts right up every time. Damn electronic gizmos! Bring back the good old key-in-the-ignition days!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:49 PM
CUTiger80
Heel & Toe

OK guys, finally got my car back from the dealer on Monday (they have had since previous Tuesday). I had to convince them to do the BCM reflash (PIC4188) and the RCDLR reprogram. They did the BCM reflash on Monday morning. Car sat in their garage over the weekend and started fine Monday morning. I really think that the initial problem at the dealer was because the mechanic failed to park the car in reverse. (He finally admitted that he "thought" he did, but was not certain.) They charged me at least 1 hour labor for each. Should this not be on GM since it is a "manufacturers defect"?
I think that I am going to get a Priority Start to put on it just for insurance.
Thanks for all of your help on this!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 01:16 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You had to CONVINCE THEM to do the reflashes, even tho you showed them the number and where to find it in their computer? I know they did the work, but this IS NOT A GOOD DEALERSHIP, imo.

Yes, I would ask them to pick up the charges, completely, and if they disagree, I'd ask to meet with the area/district whatever rep to discuss it. A) because they couldn't solve the problem, B) because you had TO CONVINCE THEM to do what they should have known, and C) because their own technician wasn't sure he was or wasn't part of the problem with ManTrans in reverse.

And after this is all settled, I'd find another dealership that you don't have to work so hard to do their job for them. Good grief. And if you have a few extra minutes, you really should write this up, briefly, and send it off to Chevrolet.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery Issue Re-Visited