C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone reuse the factory XM antenna for an aftermarket XM receiver?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 06:26 PM
spinedoc77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone reuse the factory XM antenna for an aftermarket XM receiver?

I'm going to install the F series Pioneer touchscreen when it comes out and I have an 08 with the hidden XM antennas (in the rear view mirrors I believe). I was hoping to not have to mount a new XM antenna as there is no place outside the car it looks good, and anywhere inside will get subpar reception.

Anyone know what type connector is on the factory XM antenna and if there is an adapter or if it directly works with the Pioneer XM addon unit like the GEXP910xm?
Old 05-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Several of us here have made the switch over to Sirius by using the available conversion box SIRGM1 and staying with the standard XM antenna. This is what I did and it works perfect. The antenna lead is a standard, but GM has a yellow plastic clip on it that you must first remove to allow it to plug into other receivers. There is also another antenna lead that XM uses for land based stations and this uses a green connector/clip. This green one is not reused with Sirius. Don't know if you are staying with XM or converting over to Sirius.

www.tss-radio.com is a good source for the SIRGM1 box and various antenna lead adapters if you need something.

Since it sounds like you are only changing the head unit in the dash, I really doubt you will need to change anything regarding the antenna hookup. The antenna leads I spoke of above are back on the XM box over the driver side wheel well.

Last edited by Swiftrider08; 05-15-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:37 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Is that XM to SIRIUS ANTENNA adapter thing needed?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jesse12804
Is that XM to SIRIUS ANTENNA adapter thing needed?
If just changing the head unit, then no. If converting from XM to Sirius, also no, but you must remove the yellow connector body from the XM antenna lead so that it will plug into the Sirius box. The yellow connector body is clipped over the antenna lead and is easy to remove. The green XM connector antenna lead is not used with the new Sirius box. Just leave it un-connected.

The antenna adapters you can buy do not require that you remove the yellow connector body.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Duke1947
Navigator

I am trying to locate the "hidden" FM antenna to istall my own XM Unit in my 07 rag top. Any Help!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2008, 03:37 PM
slab0meat
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Several of us here have made the switch over to Sirius by using the available conversion box SIRGM1 and staying with the standard XM antenna. This is what I did and it works perfect. The antenna lead is a standard, but GM has a yellow plastic clip on it that you must first remove to allow it to plug into other receivers. There is also another antenna lead that XM uses for land based stations and this uses a green connector/clip. This green one is not reused with Sirius. Don't know if you are staying with XM or converting over to Sirius.

www.tss-radio.com is a good source for the SIRGM1 box and various antenna lead adapters if you need something.

Since it sounds like you are only changing the head unit in the dash, I really doubt you will need to change anything regarding the antenna hookup. The antenna leads I spoke of above are back on the XM box over the driver side wheel well.

Do you have the standard radio or the dvd/nav system, Swiftrider?
Old 05-16-2008, 05:47 PM
spinedoc77
Burning Brakes

Thanks Swiftrider, Im going from XM to XM. So the GM antennas are the older yellow/green ones, I know I have seen some adapters to go from that to the newer mini coaxial ones that XM now uses, this should be what I need.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:55 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I am trying to locate the "hidden" FM antenna to istall my own XM Unit in my 07 rag top. Any Help!!!!!!
I think I read on here it's behind the waterfall somewhere.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:16 PM
LiquidDI
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My xm reception sucks big time. Basically doesn't work at all. I would like a solution for my Alpine. Anyone!!!???
Old 05-17-2008, 02:19 PM
slab0meat
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

t t t bumpy

Anyone?
Old 10-08-2010, 06:05 PM
drew47000000
Pro

Anyone have pix?

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone reuse the factory XM antenna for an aftermarket XM receiver?

Quick Reply: Anyone reuse the factory XM antenna for an aftermarket XM receiver?