C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

580hp, no roof!!! New issue of Corvette Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:39 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Default 580hp, no roof!!! New issue of Corvette Magazine

More at: www.corvette-mag.com

FORCED REDUCTION
Jeff Glenn looks at the Callaway C16 supercar's more discreet and less expensive counterpart, the 2008 Callaway Corvette. Studio photography by Callaway's own Scott Williamson; other images by Reeves himself.
The first Callaway-tweaked Corvette is one of the most memorable: With factory endorsement and its own RPO code, the original C4-based Twin Turbo was clearly a step apart from other tuner-built machines. Typically equipped with distinctive Dymag wheels, special hood ducting, and bespoke aero pieces, the Twin Turbo is often the first car that comes to mind at the mention of the word "Callaway."
After the Twin Turbo was dropped from the lineup after the 1991 season, Callaway continued producing Corvette-based performance packages and complete hotrods. Notables include pumped-up, normally-aspirated "SuperNatural" versions of the LT1 and LT5 V8s, a handful of purpose-built competition machines, and the radical Paul Deustchman-designed C12 supercar.
Callaway wasted little time applying its magic to the sixth-generation chassis, offering the 550-horsepower SuperNatural C6 in 2005. Without any forced-induction assistance, the car scorched the quarter-mile in less than 12 seconds, offering Z06-like performance in stealthy standard-C6 clothes. For buyers seeking something more eye-catching, Callaway followed the SuperNatural C6 with the rebodied, supercharged C16. Available in coupe, convertible, and chopped-windshield Speedster form, the C16 was a natural successor to the C5-based C12 exotic.
With the C16 established as the flagship of its lineup, Callaway has now turned its attention back to subtler creations. Combining the low-profile aesthetic of the SuperNatural C6 and the forced-induction engine treatment of the C16, Callaway's latest high-performance offering is a C6-based machine simply called the Callaway Corvette.
Though the Callaway Corvette initially seems like a fairly straightforward tunercar, the affable company founder Reeves Callaway quickly points out that building a modern hotrod is not without its challenges. "Over the past 20 years, there have been increasing expectations related to emissions, fuel economy, and warranty length." Though horsepower-obsessed tuners might be reluctant to face these practical requirements, Callaway and a few other speed merchants have faced them head-on. "For example," Reeves muses, "the supercharger people weren't asleep while the concerns about practicality increased. The efficiency of this late-model Roots-type compressor has pretty much blown everything that came before it away."
Armed with the latest in supercharger technology, the Callaway Corvette provides much more punch than the stock C6 without significantly affecting the standard car's civility. Indeed, Callaway's creation isn't so much a from-scratch special as it is a narrower interpretation of the starting theme.
For $18,500 on top of a new C6, the Callaway Corvette includes a 122 cubic-inch Eaton/Magnuson supercharger, an intake-manifold-mounted air-to-liquid intercooler, an in-house Callaway Honker cold-air intake, high flow fuel injectors, a signature Double D exhaust system, and a 50-state-legal remapped PCM. Nestled beneath a custom-fabricated hood, all of that hardware helps the LS3 powerplant develop a Z06-beating 580 horsepower and 510 lbs-ft of torque. Though Callaway has plenty of experience with exhaust-driven turbochargers, Reeves was drawn to the packaging advantages offered by the Eaton blower. Fitting nicely in between the V8's cylinder banks, the supercharger provided a more compact installation than traditional side-mounted turbos. Even more attractive was the reliability of the Eaton blower: "We tested every supercharger on the market, and only one made it to the 100,000 mile mark," Reeves explains. "The Eaton was the only one that passed the test. Now we know why so many OEM carmakers are using the Eaton—it's the only one that will hold up over the long haul." Though the blower is mounted atop an internally stock LS3, and adds well over 100 horsepower to the motor's standard output, Callaway is confident enough in the durability of the system that it backs the install up with a three-year, 36,000-mile warranty. Callaway's experience with the Eaton/Magnuson supercharger has been so positive that the firm has agreed to become the exclusive source of these blowers for Corvette applications. Many of the tweaks applied to the 2008 Callaway Corvette are familiar pieces from the firm's well-respected performance catalog. The CAD-sketched Honker air intake, for example, was developed for the LS2, but proved to be a good match for the supercharged application. Previous lessons learned in the areas of exhaust design and engine-management programming were also applied to the new model—as the most recent summary of the company's extensive tuning experience, the Callaway Corvette is more highly developed than the average tunercar

The car showcases just enough stylistic changes to separate itself from the standard C6 without significantly changing its underlying Corvette identity. The hood and wheels are the most obvious visual updates. Says Reeves, "The bulge in the middle of the hood was originally designed to be a separate piece. The hood was going to close down around it like a shaker, but from a structural point of view it made the hood too floppy. So we designed a one-piece hood that is more structurally sound, but still contains a break between the lines of the bulge and the lines of the hood. We also learned that if the hood and bulge are the same color, it looks awful—it needs some contrast. Now, when you look at the car from the side or front, you can easily imagine that the bulge is a separate piece."
The standard wheels are alloy versions of the carbon/magnesium Dymags fitted to the Callaway C16, and they exactly match the sizes and offsets of their more exotic equivalents. That means 19x9.5-inch front rollers wrapped in 285/30-19 skins, and chunky 20x11 rears with 325/25-20 rubber bands. Rounding out the basic package is a collection of Callaway badges, body-color valve covers, and full manufacturer documentation.
Though the $18,500 price tag covers the main highlights of the Callaway Corvette package, the company does offer a lengthy list of optional upgrades, many of which were fitted to the demonstration model seen here. First on the option list is the Multi-Pro suspension system, which was developed in conjunction with Eibach. Though the Multi-Pro setup retains the stock transverse leaf springs, it adds a Callaway/Eibach coilover shock assembly at each corner. The coilovers are installed in place of the stock dampers—instead using a plain shock tube, Multi-Pro incorporates a threaded damper tube with a light-duty coil spring wrapped around it. "The suspension that comes in the production automobile is a terrific compromise," Reeves explains. "The whole strategy of using a composite spring placed low in the car that never wears out, is very lightweight, is corrosion-proof, is silent, and isn't fighting for real estate with any other suspension component is a really good solution. The trouble is that serious enthusiasts like to have some control over the suspension. So, we left all of the standard componentry in place for all of the good reasons I just listed, plus we found a way to add a supplemental spring at each wheel that only accounts for the increase in spring rate over stock." Once that foundation was set, Callaway turned its attention to the dampers. "There are four or five companies that make great racing shocks," Reeves continues, "but most of them have no clue what it takes to make a road shock that lasts 100,000 miles." Eibach offered the needed durability in racing-style double-adjustable dampers with separate controls for bump and rebound. "We provide a suggested starting point at the middle of the range and let the owner adjust for specific road conditions from there." A set of upgraded antiroll bars and a precision four-wheel alignment completes the Multi-Pro setup, which retails for $5960 fully installed.
A set of C16-spec Dymag carbon/magnesium wheels are a direct bolt-on, but they don't come cheap—figure about $10,000 for a full set. For discriminating enthusiasts, says Reeves, the wheels are worth their significant cost: "They weigh 40 percent less than even the best alloy units. Imagine coming home, taking your business shoes off, and putting on your sneakers. There are two major things at work—there's the increased ease of accelerating and decelerating an object with reduced rotational inertia, and there's the reduced strain on the hardware which has to control the mass way out on the end of the suspension arms. These wheels really make the whole car feel significantly lighter."

Our photo car was also equipped with $7620 worth of StopTech braking hardware, and a set of Callaway-branded sport seats that sell for just under $7000. Though the demo car's various options add up to a healthy $30,000 or so, that still does not test the limits of what the Callaway Corvette can be. Carbon-ceramic brakes, close ratio transmissions, custom differentials, and a host of track-specific tidbits can also be added. Though Callaway Corvettes do not carry factory RPO codes, they will be sold through select Chevrolet dealerships. The cars, which can be built in coupe, convertible, manual or automatic forms, will be built at the three Callaway facilities in Old Lyme CT, Irvine CA, and Leingarten, Germany. All three factories are capable of building a complete car in two days—that schedule should easily fulfill a planned 2008 run of 400 units. Inevitably, comparisons will be made between the Callaway Corvette, the factory Z06, and the new 620-horsepower ZR1. Since the basic $18,500 package still slots the Callaway well beneath the ZR1 in terms of price, the Z06 provides the most direct competition. Well aware of potential debates between his car and the Z06, Reeves is confident that his creation more than stands up to the factory's naturally-aspirated hotrod. "Our car offers more power, and a more pleasant way of delivering it. The supercharger helps the engine progressively pull harder and harder all the way to redline. You never feel like you come up to a peak and then drop off the other side. It's really pretty thrilling—if you're in third or fourth, and you're willing to take it to wide-open throttle, you'll be going really, really quickly." Further separating the Callaway Corvette from the factory Z06 are the full-convertible and automatic-transmission options. Explaining the decision to offer those extra choices, Reeves quips, "We know how picky the Corvette owner is. If he isn't, he should be." With power, equipment flexibility, and warranty confidence, the Callaway Corvette is a compelling addition to the C6 landscape
Old 05-20-2008, 01:42 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So? You can get that kind of power for a lot less than what Callaway charges. You're paying for the name and some, admittedly, cool body/interior parts. But, really - is it worth the extra $20k+?

BTW - the Double-D exhaust is a p.o.s., IMHO.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:50 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MNVette
So? You can get that kind of power for a lot less than what Callaway charges. You're paying for the name and some, admittedly, cool body/interior parts. But, really - is it worth the extra $20k+?

Sure, of course one could. That is nothing new for this crowd.

But at the end of the day, your mad science project has no warranty and limited resale, unless one can find the RIGHT buyer.

For me, it IS worth it. Then again, I also happen to like DD's
Old 05-20-2008, 02:01 PM
TurboLuigi
Racer

Originally Posted by MNVette

You can nickel and dime it or try to re-invent the wheel... and in most cases and if you get a warranty, you are limited to the guy who installed it. That is not the case with the Callaway Supercharger package which is why it gets NADA valuation.

Honestly with an attitute like that I am suprised you don't turn to rice!

-Luigi
:cool
Old 05-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Big Top Gt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

This car will never work.

According to a bunch of members on this site, you simply can't have a "base" C6 (ESPECIALLY a 'Vert) match or exceed ZO6 numbers without significant structural reengineering.

No, really,they must be right. Afterall, they did SAY they were right, so they must actually be.

Nice car, but too much coin for my blood.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Stickboy97
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Great car and write up. I think if you have the extra cash why not? If you want a sleeper that eat up a Z06 why not? If you've been crying for an auto Z06, here you go. If you've been wanting that Z06 convert. here you go. And all with a warranty, you can't beat it. Some of Callaway's items are a bit excessive, $10k for wheels... I don't think so plus they're not very good looking (IMO), but as far as just for performance, $18k... way to go!
Old 05-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Big Top Gt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I wonder if the magnesium wheels are a fire hazard in the event of an accident?
Old 05-20-2008, 02:43 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Big Top Gt
I wonder if the magnesium wheels are a fire hazard in the event of an accident?
...just throw sand on them

Seriously, if the wheels catch fire, you have bigger things to worry about!!
Old 05-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Big Top Gt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by *89x2*
...just throw sand on them

Seriously, if the wheels catch fire, you have bigger things to worry about!!
No kidding, right?

Can you imagine, though? Sheesh.. talk about adding insult to injury.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:02 PM
TurboLuigi
Racer

Originally Posted by Stickboy97
Great car and write up. I think if you have the extra cash why not? If you want a sleeper that eat up a Z06 why not? If you've been crying for an auto Z06, here you go. If you've been wanting that Z06 convert. here you go. And all with a warranty, you can't beat it. Some of Callaway's items are a bit excessive, $10k for wheels... I don't think so plus they're not very good looking (IMO), but as far as just for performance, $18k... way to go!
Stickboy,

It is said that the devil is in the details.

About these wheels, the shell is Cabon Fiber and the center spokes are Magnesium, held together by Titanium hardware. Ultra lightweight and strong materials: one of a kind. These wheels weight 18 lbs for 20" x 12" wheels. Try to weight a cast wheel in that size and you are lucky if it only weights 30lbs. They have been certified and tested for road and track use.

I have priced these directly and the cost for 4 is greater than the Callaway package which includes the tires. Still pricey but for weight reduction and a cutting edge package, you can't find anything better. Just like the Callaway Dymag's were visionary on the C4 platform and later adopted on the Challenge cars, these wheels will do the same for the C6. Price one of the C4 Dymags and you are lucky to find one for less than $2K each.

Here is a picture of the wheel on a stand at Carlisle. Though the lighting was poor and not one of my best pictures, it does show more of its detail which you don't see on the pictures on the car.

-Luigi

Last edited by TurboLuigi; 05-20-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Max EPR
Racer

I like the basic package with NO outside clues to it's existence. Sleepers can be a lot of fun and if you have it, money is for spending.

In my particular case however, I don't know how the grin could get bigger as it is.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:04 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Freakin sweet! I like the new alloy wheels and DD exhaust inserts.

After driving the 616hp A6 Callaway, I can honestly say Im hooked
Old 05-20-2008, 03:34 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Imho Reeves Callaway is right on the money with the magnussen supercharger concept of getting awesome right now smooth reliable power.( I have an Lpe maggie supercharger with 13000 flawless miles since install on my C6, that is quite similar to Callaway's offering).For a dynamite street car, a first class install by someone like Callaway or Lingenfelter who have extensive experience with the Maggie is a great prescription for trouble free fun. You can cruise around just like stock, until you want to get on it, & will come alive like you won't believe. When you're thru playing, it instantly goes right back to sleep until called on for more playtime. The ZR1 is built on the same concept for a reason.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Profit
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Weird first time i noticed this was on autotrader.com yesterday one of my dealers in the area has the coupe for sale of course listed without a price.. I think I would rather have the zo6 I could stare at that low wide body all day and besides the looks it nice to have all that power out of NA engine.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:16 PM
FordDefector
Instructor

According to a bunch of members on this site, you simply can't have a "base" C6 (ESPECIALLY a 'Vert) match or exceed ZO6 numbers without significant structural reengineering.

No, really,they must be right. Afterall, they did SAY they were right, so they must actually be.

I think you still missed the whole point of that conversation. They were saying that the Z06 would need significant re-engineering of the frame for them to make it in convertible form. It does not share the same frame or material as the base C6 coupe or vert.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:23 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

I believe the discussion was about GM manufacturing a Z06 (aluminum frame) as a vert? No one I'm aware of said anything about a steel framed C6 vert having frame issues. As I understand it this Callaway vert is steel framed thus not part of the original discussion...
Old 05-20-2008, 06:30 PM
RogerC6
Melting Slicks

Location: Some where in Amerika, sadly watching how is turned into a Socialist Republic.

For that kind of money the Z06 is the ticket, Callaway is not going to offer 100k warranty.

89X2 if you think in a couple of year you're going to get more money for this car over a original Z06,at resale time, think again in the end IT is a "mad science project", it will never be as reliable as a factory developed car, How much time and money has Callaway spent on research...$0 the people that buy such car are doing it for him, at their expence. For the performance the Z is the better deal, all day long.

Get notified of new replies

To 580hp, no roof!!! New issue of Corvette Magazine

Old 05-20-2008, 08:11 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=TurboLuigi;1565543199]You can nickel and dime it or try to re-invent the wheel... and in most cases and if you get a warranty, you are limited to the guy who installed it. That is not the case with the Callaway Supercharger package which is why it gets NADA valuation.

Honestly with an attitute like that I am suprised you don't turn to rice!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:24 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by RogerC6
For that kind of money the Z06 is the ticket, Callaway is not going to offer 100k warranty.

89X2 if you think in a couple of year you're going to get more money for this car over a original Z06,at resale time, think again in the end IT is a "mad science project", it will never be as reliable as a factory developed car, How much time and money has Callaway spent on research...$0 the people that buy such car are doing it for him, at their expence. For the performance the Z is the better deal, all day long.
Lets see....

80's-90's era B2k's sell for more than ZR1s of the same vintage. Likewise most of them cost more than C5Z's. Why would the C6Z be any different?

Please state where you got your 'facts' that Callaway spends $0 on R&D. Apparently Reeves says otherwise....

Originally Posted by Reeves Callaway
"We tested every supercharger on the market, and only one made it to the 100,000 mile mark," Reeves explains. "The Eaton was the only one that passed the test. Now we know why so many OEM carmakers are using the Eaton—it's the only one that will hold up over the long haul."
Sounds like youre mixed up a little.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:30 PM
TurboLuigi
Racer

Originally Posted by RogerC6

Roger,

Time has proven this over and over. As an example, look at Callaway Twin Turbo values over ZR-1's and the Callaway's hold more value. The problem is quantity. The fewer the cars, the less saturated the market.

While I like the Z06, there is no way over time that they will hold better value than a Callaway Supercharged Corvette. First of all, the Callaway has more power and more options (Auto, Manual, Coupe, or Convertible) and there are far less than the Z06. Secondy, Z06's are plentiful. Anyone with any collectible experience knows that the more cars there are the less collectible they will be.

-Luigi

Quick Reply: 580hp, no roof!!! New issue of Corvette Magazine