C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove driver sun visor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 10:57 PM
jimhild
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to remove driver sun visor?

Does anyone have the instructions to remove and replace the driver sun visor? We had to get a new sun visor because the Lear Car2U opener could not open our subdivision gate. Lear had to build a new unit and installed a receiver in the gate controller and supplied us with a new sun visior.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

If he doesn't respond to this thread, PM Talon90. He replaced his visors.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...ster&t=2092547
Old 07-30-2008, 11:01 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

You place a screwdriver in the slot at the base of the visor and rotate the visor against the screwdriver. Search for Talon90 thread on the subject. He posted some photos.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:40 PM
tlcj
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I might be interested in buying your old sunvisor? I think the Lear might work fine in my situation. Pm me if you want to sell it.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:40 PM
car2Usupport
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your interest in the Universal Home Remote product. Additional help is available to assist you with any programming issues or questions.

If your product has 3 LED lights, please refer to www.learCar2U.com or call 1-866-57Car2U for additional support.

Sincerely,

The Lear Car2U Team
Old 09-04-2008, 04:13 PM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

Common issue with the Lear system ... unfortunately, their stock solution (sell you a module to attach to the opener) does not work in most Associations since they do not want every owner attaching devices to the common property.

As for removing the visor ... be very, very careful. The procedure is simple, but the technique for doing it is hard to master, and there are a lot of destroyed sun visors out there ...
Old 09-04-2008, 04:20 PM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Instructions

Here's the instructions from C5Creations website.

Homelink Visor Integrated Garage Door Opener – VMGDO100
The following steps describe the process for removal and reinstallation of your Corvette Sunshade.

REMOVAL OF SUNSHADE : (Caution: Take great care to avoid damage to the plastic bezel, rod or other parts of the sunshade. These parts are reasonably fragile and easy to damage. Protect these parts and do not force the removal.)

To remove the driver side sunshade, tilt the sunshade down toward the windshield as you would to block the sun.
Insert the blade of a flat head screwdriver in the slot on the inner plastic bezel at the end of the rod (Install protective sleeve on this rod) protruding from the sunshade into the roof area.
Now rotate the sunshade clockwise toward the driver’s side window. The placement of the screwdriver will cause the bezel to rotate when the sunshade turns and presses against it. Pull down on the sunshade arm as you rotate it until the sunshade stops.[the first tab disengages]. Push up on the sunshade and continue rotating the sunshade until the sunshade with the inner bezel disengages from the mounting bezel.
In this position the sunshade will come free from the roof-housing. Expose the wiring connector (This is located 2-3” from the end of the rod.) Disconnect the connector. (you may have to remove the roof bezel to get the connector to come free. This bezel is a press-fit.)
REINSTALL SUNSHADE:

To reinstall the sunshade reverse the process After reconnecting the wiring, insert the plastic bezel on the end of the sunshade into the bezel in the roof. (This requires the proper alignment of the two bezels.) Note: the shape of the triangle will only allow the bezels to mount one way. You may need to twist the bezel on the sunshade to get the proper alignment.
Press against the bezel and rotate the sunshade toward the front windshield. (note the screwdriver is not required to do the reinstall. Hold the bezel in place by hand as you rotate the visor).
As you do this, the bezel will turn and lock into place. Note: It will be necessary to push the sunshade all the way to the front windshield.
The sunshade should now operate freely.
HELPFUL HINTS for removal of your sunshade visor and installing your VMGDO-100
Following these helpful hints will provide for a successful and damage free installation of your new VMGDO100 garage door opener.

Install the protective sleeve on the rod prior to removal of your sunshade to protect from damage. Use a proper size screwdriver for removal of your existing sunshade to prevent the screwdriver from slipping and causing damage.
Protect the area in the car around the sunshade during the removal process to prevent damage in the event that the screwdriver does slip. It is best to have two people do this step. One to hold the screwdriver in place and one to turn the sunshade.
Place the key in the ignition when programming the Homelink unit. Long delays during the installation of the sunshade will cause the power to shutdown on the car. There must be power to the Homelink unit for it to operate. The red light on the unit indicates it has power.
We recommend that you place a new battery in the hand held transmitter of the device being programmed to Homelink. This will allow for quicker training and accurate transmission of the radio frequency.
Please make sure that people and objects are out of the way of the moving door or gate when programming to prevent potential harm or damage.
©C5 Creations 2003

Do not use the Homelink Wireless Control System with any garage door opener that lacks the safety stop and reverse feature as required by federal safety standards.
Contact C5 Creations at 1-877-239-5387 or Homelink at
1-800-355-3515 or www.homelink.com for more information.:

The Homelink unit is polarity sensitive and may have to be rewired to function. You can switch the wires in the connector as follows:

Using a paper clip remove the gray retaining clip at the end of the connector.
Using a paper clip remove each of the two wires by placing the paper clip at the terminal end of the wire to compress the retainer. Pull each wire free from the connector.
Switch the wires and reinstall into the connector
<back
Old 07-31-2009, 01:17 PM
op z
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 128 Posts

I've attempted to follow the diections and pretty much destroyed the plastic bezel and can't get it to rotate. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas?

If I don't hear from anyone on this forum, I'll be offering a visor with a homelink opener for sale. Bought it on ebay. Somehow the door to the mirror was melted and lenses for the lights missing. I removed the door and was getting ready to swap the mirror doors and install on my car before I ran into this problem.

Last edited by op z; 07-31-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by op z
I've attempted to follow the diections and pretty much destroyed the plastic bezel and can't get it to rotate. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas?

If I don't hear from anyone on this forum, I'll be offering a visor with a homelink opener for sale. Bought it on ebay. Somehow the door to the mirror was melted and lenses for the lights missing. I removed the door and was getting ready to swap the mirror doors and install on my car before I ran into this problem.
The top cam off of the first Z06 I had. When the GM shop fixed the top they took the sunvisors out and destroyed the plastic clips. The dealership had to buy two new ones. The driver side one was over $200 as I remember. Good luck.

Jim
Old 07-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by jimhild
Does anyone have the instructions to remove and replace the driver sun visor? We had to get a new sun visor because the Lear Car2U opener could not open our subdivision gate. Lear had to build a new unit and installed a receiver in the gate controller and supplied us with a new sun visior.

Thanks for your help.
If you're still stuck, PM me a fax number & I'll send you the pages from the Service Manual.

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove driver sun visor?

Quick Reply: How to remove driver sun visor?