C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do I get chiming when I open driver's door?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 03:54 PM
TLK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Why do I get chiming when I open driver's door?

Frequently I've noticed that the chime is sounding when I have the driver's door open. This happens both when I have the fob in my pocket and even the other day when I openned the door without a fob.

In one scenario, I either approach the car (car was locked when I left) and I open the door with the fob in my pocket no problem (doors unlocked automatically) but the chime sounds while I have the door open.

In the other scenario, the car is unlocked in the garage, and I open the door to get something without having a fob, and the chime sounds.

I didn't see run across anything in the owner's manual, but then it doesn't index "chiming" to help make it easy.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:02 PM
xlr8rvette
Drifting

Location: Fayetteville Arkansas recently moved from Oakland Ca
Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Every now and then mine just chimes. No reason for it, everything is shut off. But it chimes. This occurs maybe once every other week and sometimes may happen several times in a row.. Its an 05 with 80,000 miles. Has done this for a year or longer. Use to drive me Now don't worry about it
Old 08-01-2008, 04:07 PM
SpdWhite
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure others will "chime" in here with their suggestions.

In my case, the only time the chime will sound for me is when the #2 fob is in or near the car. For example, If my wife is in the car and has her fob in her pocket book, and I exit first, the car will tell me, HEY, you got out but there is still a fob in the car.

Even if she has her door open and ready to exit, or just got out the car will try to warn me there is still a fob present.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:18 PM
tfkrato
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine 2008 also chimes periodically for no apparent reason. It's random, will do it once or several times before it stops until the next time it does it. I have no clue why - my behavior with fobs, getting in/out doesn't change.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:27 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

you need to first check your personal settings on the DIC to ensure you haven't told it to chime when certain operations are done. if that doesn't work, there is a TSB out stating that on some early '08's, the software doesn't recognize the FOB in all positions around the driver's seat and may "chime" to advise that FOB left in car, etc. try setting the personal options first and if that doesn't do it, dealer has a new software download that is suppose to resolve the unwanted noises.

oh yeah, you need to reset for both FOB's as the DIC remembers them as separate drivers.

Last edited by dpigguy; 08-01-2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 08-01-2008, 04:30 PM
strawboss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

do your park lights come on also when you open the door?
Old 08-01-2008, 04:31 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by SpdWhite
I am sure others will "chime" in here with their suggestions.

In my case, the only time the chime will sound for me is when the #2 fob is in or near the car. For example, If my wife is in the car and has her fob in her pocket book, and I exit first, the car will tell me, HEY, you got out but there is still a fob in the car.

Even if she has her door open and ready to exit, or just got out the car will try to warn me there is still a fob present.

plus, i think if you have left the ignition in the accessories mode, it will chime
Old 08-01-2008, 04:32 PM
C6Longshot
Instructor

Glad to know I am not alone. I actually have an aftermarket radio/chime module, and I just assumed that was the issue.

My seems to chime randomly
-Sometimes when I open the door, either with our without FOB, and the car is turned off.
-Sometimes when I engage the parking brake while coming to stop but still moving slowly (2-4MPH). In these cases, the chime continues even after the car is fully stopped, and only stops chiming when the engine is killed.

In any case- neither is a big deal for me and I don't plan on pursuing a solution or troubleshootig.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:36 PM
TLK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Thanks, I'll revisit the DIC settings to see if anything applicable is set. I recall that I did need to turn off fob-in-car warning because it often honked the horn 3 times while I help my daughter out of her car seat after circling around the back of the car to open the passenger door.

I'll remember to check for lights next time.

BTW, this is with my first week production '09 coupe. Presumably, software fixes introduced in '08 should be in the regular production version now.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:38 PM
samc_6
Instructor

Originally Posted by tfkrato
Mine 2008 also chimes periodically for no apparent reason. It's random, will do it once or several times before it stops until the next time it does it. I have no clue why - my behavior with fobs, getting in/out doesn't change.
Same here...weird!
Old 08-01-2008, 05:41 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by TLK
Presumably, software fixes introduced in '08 should be in the regular production version now.
I believe to presume often produces the same results as ***-u-me.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Weely
Instructor

My 2007 chimes at apparently random times too. Seems to do it more it the 2nd fob is around. It happens when I open the door. I haven't been able to figure out any pattern to it.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:11 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been able to decode the chime. It means "I love you to"
Old 08-01-2008, 08:13 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

same here.. a logical explanation exists... but I have not looked into it..
Old 08-01-2008, 08:57 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TLK
Frequently I've noticed that the chime is sounding when I have the driver's door open. This happens both when I have the fob in my pocket and even the other day when I openned the door without a fob.

In one scenario, I either approach the car (car was locked when I left) and I open the door with the fob in my pocket no problem (doors unlocked automatically) but the chime sounds while I have the door open.

In the other scenario, the car is unlocked in the garage, and I open the door to get something without having a fob, and the chime sounds.

I didn't see run across anything in the owner's manual, but then it doesn't index "chiming" to help make it easy.
I believe I have the answer to this.I have noticed that any time the car senses the fob is in the car(even though it isn't) the chime will be sounding as soon as I open the door I think it is to tell us that the last time we left it thought the fob was left in car and had not locked or set the alarm.Try this, always keep fob in your left pocket and if you can take 1 step away from car when closing door.It has worked everytime for me.Side note: you may not know it is sensing the fob is still in car being you have the 3 honk reminder turned off.Enjoy your 09

Hope this helped

Ron
Old 08-01-2008, 09:02 PM
FM
Racer

Could this be it?

Owner Manual: "Your vehicle can be programmed to sound the horn
three times and unlock the driver’s door when both
doors are closed and there is a keyless access
transmitter inside the vehicle. When the driver’s door is
opened, a reminder chime will sound continuously."
Old 08-01-2008, 09:03 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

my car honks 3 times when I get out and shut the door on a random basis. There seems to be no rhyme or reason

Get notified of new replies

To Why do I get chiming when I open driver's door?

Old 08-01-2008, 09:16 PM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

th honking is because you have the DIC set to honk at you when you get out o the car and it doesnt detect a fob. i know it's there, but someimes it just doesn't pick it up. I've had it say no fob detected when i tried to start the car once and it was in my right front pocket. i moved it around in the pocket and it fired right up.

I did have a weird thing happen last week tho, i hit the start button and it turned over once and stopped... the needles did their sweep, but it did not say corvette across the dic. the car only showed the check engine light and basically locked up. I turned it off, ad hit start again and it fired right up. interesting!?
Old 08-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

We are living in the Twilight Zone!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:03 PM
INGER67
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
St Jude Donor '15

My 06 does the same thing, but it didn't start until my friend got an 06 and his chimed all the time. Now his has quit and mine has started, but not all the time. I have no idea why.

Quick Reply: Why do I get chiming when I open driver's door?