C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does a dealer make on a GMS sale?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:42 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 410 Posts

Default What does a dealer make on a GMS sale?

I may have a GMS "friends" certificate this week and just called my dealer about honoring it.

First, they will honor it although, according to my salesman, they are not obligated to. He said it's more like a courtesy delivery than an actual sale. He also said the dealer has no real margin to work with on a GMS sale, and is only re-imbursed for his advertising allowance. It does, however, count as a retail sale and does count towards his Corvette allocations.

I actually felt guilty when I got off the phone. Is a GMS sale really that tight for a dealer? If true, it sounds like a very unprofitable sale. Do the forum dealers who are advertising "GMS for all" simply work off their "documentation" fees?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:46 AM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

If you've ever seen an actual invoice, on the right hand side there is an amount listed as "MEMO" This is the amount the dealer gets in return for a gm supplier or true GMS deal.
Steven
Old 08-04-2008, 09:48 AM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Stan,

I use one of these each year myself. My understanding is that there is still a little profit left for the dealer I also believe they still get their hold back as well.. At my dealership I also do not have to pay the doc fee since I am using the certificate. One of our members down this way is an ex employee of GM and will probably respond to this thread when he sees it.

Don't feel too bad you deserve your best deal. I know you're getting excited about your new arrival!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 09:57 AM
08C6Z51
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have bought dozens of Gm cars through the years with the GMS discount. I have never noticed a difference or disinterest in the sale when they found out I was using GMS (except at one dealer who was totally disinterested in selling me a new Corvette a few months ago). I gave him what he wanted and walked away and about 20-30 minutes later was buying the Vette at a neighboring dealer (and) did not pay the outlandish doc fee.

I assume the dealership makes a decent profit on the GMS sale.

Last edited by 08C6Z51; 08-04-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:57 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

not much left after GMS.You're getting a good deal,the sales guy is getting A "MINI" as it's known in the business and that's that.No mystery here.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:05 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Bought mine on EBAY for GMS last year. After flying to pick it up and driving home, the internet salesman called me because there was an error in the GMS number which he needed corrected because they would get $2200-2500 back from GM. His words. Of course I read him the correct numbers. FWIW.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StanNH
I may have a GMS "friends" certificate this week and just called my dealer about honoring it.

First, they will honor it although, according to my salesman, they are not obligated to. He said it's more like a courtesy delivery than an actual sale. He also said the dealer has no real margin to work with on a GMS sale, and is only re-imbursed for his advertising allowance. It does, however, count as a retail sale and does count towards his Corvette allocations.

I actually felt guilty when I got off the phone. Is a GMS sale really that tight for a dealer? If true, it sounds like a very unprofitable sale. Do the forum dealers who are advertising "GMS for all" simply work off their "documentation" fees?
Believe me the dealer is not doing you a "favor" by honoring the GMS certificate. No need to feel guilty. If you look at the memo field GM is paying the dealer a fair amount to deliver the car. Usually more than he would make on a open deal. I think my dealer made $1,250 on my Silverado a few years ago. He doesn't even have to "sell" the car. He just has to deliver it. The dealer also gets the holdback from GM. You get the advantage of the best price, no doc fees or other unnecessary add ons and you can take advantage of any rebates and other GM offers without affecting the dealers profit.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:46 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Lot's of interesting information here. If it's a true GMS deal - meaning the dealer has a certificate to turn in and get reimbursed, they make more on GMS than they do on a typical deal in todays market. They make about 5%.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:39 AM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

How can one get a "GMS" certificate? Are they good on an '09. Do they have to be used within a certain time period?
Old 08-04-2008, 11:43 AM
427-Z06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gms

They make enough - in fact more than they would on a straight deal that is negotiated in a hard market sometimes. I have even been able to negotiate an added discount on top equal to half of holdback. They aren't suppossed to do that but - sometimes they need the sale.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:51 AM
jeffjob
POSSE Senior Hombre
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 211 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '17-'18

Originally Posted by 1FunC5
If you've ever seen an actual invoice, on the right hand side there is an amount listed as "MEMO" This is the amount the dealer gets in return for a gm supplier or true GMS deal.
Steven
Memo on my invoice shows 2921.25 with a total MSRP of 61425.00.

I have heard the 5% as well.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:54 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET
How can one get a "GMS" certificate? Are they good on an '09. Do they have to be used within a certain time period?
You have to get the GMS number from a GM employee. You will have to give the employee your ZIP and DOB. I believe the promotion going on now expires 8-19-08. I was able to get a number from a fellow CF member who is a GM employee and purchased a 09 Z06 last week. Lucky for me, my local dealer had just got in a 09 Z06 in the color and options I wanted. I've never really figured out if you have to take delivery of the car before the expiration date of the promotion or if you can sign the contract before the expiration and take delivery later.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET
This month GM is offering a promotion whereby any active GM employee can give away a GMS cert to anyone. Other than this special promotion the GMS is normally limited to employees, retirees, and family members. There is a time limitation. You should be ready to buy before you take a cert from someone.

https://www.gmfamilyfirst.com/GMEMP/...7_discount.pdf
Old 08-04-2008, 12:37 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobz08C6
This month GM is offering a promotion whereby any active GM employee can give away a GMS cert to anyone. Other than this special promotion the GMS is normally limited to employees, retirees, and family members. There is a time limitation. You should be ready to buy before you take a cert from someone.

https://www.gmfamilyfirst.com/GMEMP/...7_discount.pdf

I'm expecting my '09 around the end of August/early Sept. Don't know if I can use a certificate now for that time period. Maybe they will extend the program and I'll try to find a cert.
Thanks
Old 08-04-2008, 01:09 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 410 Posts

According to the current offer, you have to take delivery by 8/19. My car is being built this week and may not arrive until the last week of August. That would be great if I miss it by a week.

I wonder if they have any provisions for cars in transit?
Old 08-04-2008, 01:19 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

hmmm, Stan, that's kind of odd. Sounds like they want to cut off the program via the "in-service" date. Something like buying it off the lot.

Of course, on an ordered car, so many things can delay the 'take delivery' of the vehicle. Maybe your dealer can individually modify this for ordered cars. I mean, if the car's built and waiting for a truck, or already in transit....sounds to me like a bought vehicle.

Then again, that might be the rub: when did the buyer actually plunk down all the money? Usually, it's at the dealer when the car is bought, or taken delivery.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:30 PM
jeffjob
POSSE Senior Hombre
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 211 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '17-'18

According to the current offer, you have to take delivery by 8/19. My car is being built this week and may not arrive until the last week of August. That would be great if I miss it by a week.

I wonder if they have any provisions for cars in transit?
Stan;

I would check with your dealer. They may have a way to make it happen.

Jeff...

Get notified of new replies

To What does a dealer make on a GMS sale?

Old 08-04-2008, 01:50 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Without going into all the details a supplier price is about 250 to 400 under invoice and they still make money. On employee pricing they are paid a percent of list less dest. to sell to employee. Than their is hold back and true dealer cost is under employee pricing.
z51vett
Old 08-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by z51vett
Without going into all the details a supplier price is about 250 to 400 under invoice and they still make money. On employee pricing they are paid a percent of list less dest. to sell to employee. Than their is hold back and true dealer cost is under employee pricing.
z51vett
The GM employee price GMS includes destination.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:04 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobz08C6
The GM employee price GMS includes destination.
That is correct but to figure the moneys paid to dealers it is deducted out to figure the percent paid to dealers. That is why the poster who said is car listed for a certain dollar amount came up with the wrong answer deduct the dest figure it that way, it will be correct.
z51vett

Quick Reply: What does a dealer make on a GMS sale?