C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First no front plate ticket ever and it made me think

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 11:57 AM
yell01
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Default First no front plate ticket ever and it made me think

I've had many cars over the years without a front plate and finally got pulled over this morning on my way to work. I knew he was going to come after me. He was at a light in the left hand turn lane with no traffic and plenty of time to turn in front of me. He waited for me and the pickup behind me to go by then pulled a u-turn. About 3/4 of a mile down he lit them up and I pulled right over onto a side street. He asked me if I knew why he pulled me over and I said "since I know I wasn't speeding, probably because of no front plate" he said "yep" he asked me where it was and I told him in the trunk. He was cool about it (as I was) and he gave me a $25.00 "compliance" ticket. I'll pay my fine and move on.

It did make me think though. You are required to have a front plate here in IL, but why don't they give you an option for say $250.00 to run without one. I'm not going to get 10 tickets in a year for this violation but would be glad to pay to not have to worry about getting pulled over even once. They could either make a different colored sticker for the plate or another separate sticker that would go on the upper left of the plate to call out that you paid. Same pay to play for window tint as well.

With all the states having money problems it just seems like a good way to raise additional money. They'd get the money from the law abiding citizens who would pay and would still write the tickets to the people who don't pay but run without anyway. Even raising the ticket cost knowing they didn't pay.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:07 PM
RED2008Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like your idea about the extra sticker. In this fine tax happy state you would not having to make a extra plate would save them a ton of money , but you know you live here. I didn't want to put the plate on but I modify it a bit and don't think it looks to bad.

Good luck to you....
Old 08-06-2008, 12:10 PM
BadJuju
Advanced

For a front plate that doesn't look bad at all.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:13 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

How many years without front plate? For $25 I would go for again for years.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:14 PM
bagwell
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RED2008Z06
Wow, that is the very best front plate app I've EVER seen on a C6
Old 08-06-2008, 12:15 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

In Texas, the state allows a max fine of several hundred dollars. However, most courts actually only charge about $80. It is usually a fix it ticket, and if so, dismissed with a $10 court cost with photo proof of compliance. Illinois is pretty cheap at $25.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Steve D
Instructor

Got stopped in NJ for the first time ever for no front plate. Cop wrote up a warning summons only, but I'm also a resident of the town. I will NEVER put one on, so we'll see.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:01 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Texas DPS has lobbied for the second plate over many years saying it allows them to identify "bad guys" or stolen vehicles when meeting them vs. having to be behind same. Although legislation has been introduced over several sessions, it always fails due to the DPS argument. Alas - get the plate mount and enjoy the car without worring about the next stop.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:03 PM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Move to a state with only one plate required. Or buy a house/condo in that one plate state.

I picked Fl... I hate Fl. Too hot, humid. bugs, too many people, gators, hurricanes, expensive home insurance, outrageous property taxes, falling home prices, but only one plate!!

Only kidding
Old 08-06-2008, 01:06 PM
yell01
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I like your idea about the extra sticker. In this fine tax happy state you would not having to make a extra plate would save them a ton of money , but you know you live here. I didn't want to put the plate on but I modify it a bit and don't think it looks to bad.

Good luck to you....
That's a great solution. Looks good.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:09 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Your idea makes too much sense, that is why it will never come to be.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:16 PM
BOB'S C6
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

This looks good , but will get you a ticket just as fast as no plate.You cannot hide any part of the plate or modify it in Illinois.But I'll give ya an "A" for trying.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:21 PM
carjon
Burning Brakes

Hopefully not jinxing myself but here in CT although front is required probably 1 out of ever 10 cars doesn't have one - even cars with front license plate holders.
Not that I would win, but if pulled over I plan to ask, politely, what about that car and that one. I won't win.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:27 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yell01
That's a great solution. Looks good.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:40 PM
dingrao
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 106 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Good luck to you....

Dude, please don't take offense to this as this strictly all in fun, but your 'Vette reminds me of little baby with the one tooth in it's mouth.

I agree though, that does look great for a front plate mount option.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:25 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Many states are enforcing the front plate law primarily because of red light cameras. So giving someone an option to run with no front plate also gives them the ability to duck out of (automated) red light tickets. Definitely something that wouldn't be acceptable overall.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

My dealer in Collinsville, IL told me that an Illinois state legislator some time back proposed a one-plate option. I got the impression his idea would have been like a "get out of jail free" notation in registration database that would show up after they stop you and run your plate. Not sure a special sticker would be visible enough to avoid the stop.

Get notified of new replies

To First no front plate ticket ever and it made me think

Old 08-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Moltenice®
Advanced

I hate the front plate law. I went for 8 years in California without ever getting a ticket for it, but moved to Washington and received 1, and a week later another. I hadn't even appeared in court for the first and was already scheduled for a second. They are a bit more pricey here at $150 a pop with no fix it option.

Smalls towns make it harder to blend in.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:51 PM
BigButtLover
Safety Car

Received 484 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Most Leo's are just being a$$e$ when they give someone a ticket for no front plate, especially if they haven't broken any other law. Yea, I know it's the law in some states, but riding with no front plate is not hurting anyone. Now if you're stopped for speeding, etc. and have no front plate, then maybe you deserve a ticket since they had to stop you for some other reason. But, to stop someone just for not front plate... that's crazy.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Rusler John
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I've had my 07' Vette for a little over a year and I was stopped twice for a warning. The first was a county cop and the second was a state trooper. They were cool about it and sort of understood, but, the law is the law in NY state. I finally relented and got a Top Flight plate mount. I'm not happy about it, but, I hate going to court over a BS charge.

Quick Reply: First no front plate ticket ever and it made me think