C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need most RECENT official GM roof separation bulletins please - my roof is done :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Need most RECENT official GM roof separation bulletins please - my roof is done :(

Just checked my original 2006 painted roof via the official GM test procedure (0.010 feeling gauge probe)... looks like I have a good 10 or more inch section across the front edge that is separated... feeler gauge goes right through... and if I pull up on the roof skin in that area, I can actually see the gap between the skin and the frame... not good.

I've been holding out since the roof has been behaving very well since new. Even recently, no noticeable problems or noises. But I have been careful to do the feeler gauge check periodically just in case. Sure enough, today's feeler gauge check revealed some separation.

I have an official GM bulletin regarding roof separation from June 2006... but I would like to have the most recent official GM dealer bulletin / TSB / recall notice in hand when I go to the dealer.

I do NOT want to leave the car under any circumstances, I want to know what my "rights" are regarding this procedure. Seems that some dealerships like to make up their own rules... not with me.

I'll never forget the case where someone brought their car in for a new roof and the dealership painted part of the car itself in attempts to get the roof to match , my heart starts racing just thinking about this.

Hopefully I can just hand in my old roof and be handed a new one. And I'd like to think that they could match the paint using the old roof as a guide.

So I'd really appreciate it if someone could either post or provide a link to a pdf etc of any / all of the latest official GM docs regarding separated roofs.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I had the same situation about 2 months ago. If you don't have another top like the transparent one I doubt they are going to loan you a new one while they order, paint and change the hardware from your old top. That whole process will take a week or so with them getting the new top being the longest part. I'd go in, let them inspect your top to see it needs replacement and then let them order the new top. In the mean time I'd duct tape the front of your current old top to the windshield so it doesn't fly off in the mean time.

Maybe someone could lend you transparent top during this process to make it easier.

This sounds obvious but check to see if your current top actually matches the color of the rest of the car. Mine was a couple shades darker than the rest of the car. In all likelihood the new paint will be a shade lighter than the rest of the car because of yellowing of the existing clear coat. Also dealers don't have the most skilled paint shop personel so they will probably just order the color code and paint it with that and matching the existing paint is probably beyond them. I'd rather have a slight mismatch than have them try to blend the paint over the rest of the car and that's what they will try to do if you let them.

I haven't seen any documentation other than the initial notice letter we got to have the top inspected and foam glued if not separated.

Good luck.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 08-12-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

If you don't have people you can trust, you can get screwed.
The best way to match the roof is by sending the whole car in. Especially with metallics. Tell them you want the roof painted to match the car, and no blending. My '05 DSOM never matched from the get-go. It's much closer now after the redo.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Chevtech
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out their bodyshop, and if you don't like the work, find another dealership.

#06041C: Product Safety - Body-Color Roof Adhesive Separation - (May 21, 2007)

Subject: 06041C -- Body-Color Roof Adhesive Separation

Models: 2005-2007 Chevrolet Corvette

With Body-Color Roof

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to include (30) 2007 model year vehicles (U.S. and Export). Discard all copies of bulletin 06041B, issued November 2006.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This recall was released in phases. As each phase was released, Customer Satisfaction Program 05112 was cancelled. Vehicles that were not repaired under Customer Satisfaction Program 05112 were transferred into this safety recall. In addition, vehicles that had the roof replaced, and according to the repair order did not have the adhesive foam applied, were called back for the adhesive installation. Vehicles that had the temporary roof installed (T5641) were also called backed for roof replacement.

Condition
General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2005-2007 Chevrolet Corvette vehicles equipped with a body-color roof. Some of these vehicles have a condition in which the adhesive between the roof panel and the frame may separate. If there is a partial separation, the occupant may notice one or more symptoms, such as a snapping noise when driving over bumps, wind noise, poor roof panel fit, roof panel movement/bounce when a door or hatch is closed, or a water leak in the headliner. If there is a complete separation, the roof panel may detach from the vehicle. If this were to occur while the vehicle was being driven, it could strike a following vehicle and cause injury and property damage.

Correction
Dealers are to apply adhesive foam to the roof panel to ensure the proper adhesion, or, if signs of separation are found, install a new design roof panel.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2005-2007 Chevrolet Corvette vehicles equipped with a body-color roof and built within these VIN breakpoints:

YEAR
DIVISION
MODEL
FROM
THROUGH

Chevrolet
Corvette

Chevrolet
Corvette

Chevrolet
Corvette

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using GMVIS. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided through the applicable system listed below. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

--US dealers - GM DealerWorld Recall Information

--- Canadian dealers - GMinfoNet Recall Reports

--Export dealers - sent directly to dealers

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information
Parts required to complete this recall are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO). Please refer to your "involved vehicles listing" before ordering parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO = Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order.

Part Number
Description
Quantity/Vehicles

Adhesive Kit - Foam
2 (C06) (If Req'd)

1 (Z06) (If Req'd)

Bolt Asm (Z06)

Panel, RF( Paint to Match) (Z06)
1 (If Req'd)

Panel, RF Lift Off (Paint to Match) (C06 Std. Coupe)
1 (If Req'd)

Panel, Hdlng Tr (C06 Std. Coupe)
1 (If Req'd)

Special Tool
Beginning the week of February 13, 2006, each dealer was shipped a Two-Part Adhesive Applicator Gun, BO 48206 for use in Customer Satisfaction Program 05112. That gun will be required for this recall. The tool was furnished at no charge. Additional tools, if required, may be purchased by contacting SPX Kent-Moore at 1-800-468-6657.

Service Procedure
Z06 Vehicles

Important Information: Inspect the roof panel before performing the service procedure below. Determine if the roof panel is manufactured with polycarbonate or SMC material. The interior side of the roof panel is either black or white. Roof panels manufactured with polycarbonate material are black and roof panels manufactured with SMC material are white. Carefully lower the rear edge of the headliner to view the interior side of the roof panel.

Remove the rear roof bow trim panel. Refer to the Rear Roof Bow Trim Panel Replacement procedure in SI.
Pry down on the edge of the headliner to loosen it from the vehicle roof panel.
Important: A flashlight may be required to view the interior side of the roof panel.

Pull the edge of the headliner down about 51 mm (2 in) to view the color of the interior side of the roof panel.
• If the roof panel is manufactured with SMC material (white), do NOT perform the service procedure below. Re-install the rear roof bow trim panel. No further action is required.

• If the roof panel is manufactured with polycarbonate material (black), refer to the Roof Panel Adhesion Inspection and Foam Fill Procedure for Z06 Vehicles procedure found in this bulletin.

Roof Panel Inspection and Foam Fill Procedure for Z06 Vehicles

Tools Required
BO 48206 Two-Part Applicator Gun

Notice: Carefully remove the sunshade bezel to avoid damaging it. DO NOT DISCARD THE BEZEL AS INSTRUCTED IN SI; IT WILL BE REUSED. If the bezel is difficult to remove, use a screwdriver wrapped with tape to remove it.

Remove the driver and passenger side sun visor and sun visor clamp. Refer to the Sun Shade Replacement procedure in SI.
Disconnect the rear view mirror electrical connector. Refer to the Rear View Mirror Replacement procedure in SI.
Remove the windshield side garnish molding. Refer to the Windshield Side Garnish Molding Replacement procedure in SI.
Important: The rear roof bow trim panel holds the rear of the headliner in place.

Remove the rear roof bow trim panel. Refer to the Rear Roof Bow Trim Panel Replacement procedure in SI.

Remove the headliner from the vehicle.
5.1. Ensure that the sunshade and rear view mirror electrical connectors have been disconnected.

5.2. Pry down on the edge of the headliner to loosen it from the vehicle roof panel.

5.3. Lower the headliner and route it through the rear hatch.

Remove the bolts on all four corners of the roof panel and the center rear bracket.
Remove the roof panel from the vehicle. Discard the 10 roof panel fasteners.

Important: Note the orientation and number of shims on the driver and passenger side of the roof panel assembly contact points and the center rear bracket.

Notice: Protect the painted surface of the roof panel from damage.

Place the roof panel, painted surface down, on a glass stand, bench, or other suitable area.

Inspect for proper adhesion by inserting a 0.254 mm (.010 in) feeler gage between the panel and the frame. If the feeler gage fits between the panel and the frame, and the depth is 19.05 mm (.750 in) or greater, the roof panel is separated from the frame.
• If the feeler gage does not identify any area of the roof panel with separation, proceed to Step 10.

• If the feeler gage identifies areas of roof panel separation, replace and paint the roof panel. Refer to Step 20.

Prepare the roof panel for foam adhesive injection.

Important: Use tape with strong adhesion. It is difficult to clean the foam off of visible surfaces. Ensure that the tape covers holes 1, 2, and 3.

10.1. Cut four pieces of tape to cover holes 1, 2, and 3. Tape length: 76 mm (3 in); Tape width: 76 mm (3 in).

10.2. Place the tape near the roof panel holes 1, 2, and 3. Two pieces of tape are required for roof panel hole #1.

10.3. Insert the two removed bolts from the rear center attachment into the holes (finger tight) until the washer is touching the roof inner panel. This it to prevent foam from filling the location where the bolts are to be when the roof is reinstalled.

(6) Reducer
(7) Two-Part Foam Cartridge
(8) Nut
(9) Mixer Nozzle

10.4. Prepare one cartridge.

10.5. Remove the top plug. Insert a screwdriver into the end and rock it back and forth.

10.6. Install a reducer into the cartridge.

10.7. Insert a mixer nozzle through a nut.

10.8. Install the nozzle onto the cartridge.

10.9. Install the cartridge nozzle assembly to the BO 48206 applicator gun.

Important: This is a two-part foam product that expands and sets very quickly. Once the mixing begins, the foam will be set in approximately 15 seconds. It is recommended that technicians wear disposable gloves while working with the foam adhesive. Steps 12, 14, and 16 must be performed within approximately 15 seconds from start to finish.

Place one piece of tape over the bottom (smaller) hole (1) before injecting foam into the hole (1).
Inject six pumps of adhesive foam into the rear slot or top hole (1) of the roof panel.
Tape over the top slot hole (1) to keep the foam from coming out.
Inject four pumps of adhesive foam into the outboard (left) side of the hole (2) and then turn the applicator to the inboard (right) side of the hole (2) and inject four pumps of adhesive foam into the hole (2).
Tape over the hole (2) to keep the foam from coming out.
Inject four pumps of adhesive foam into the outboard (left) side of the hole (3) and then turn the applicator to the inboard (right) side of the hole (3) and inject four pumps of adhesive foam into the hole (3).
Tape over the hole (3) to keep the foam from coming out.
Wait 60 seconds for the foam to set.
Remove the tape from holes 1, 2, and 3.
Look for any areas where the foam may have leaked out between the frame and the composite panel. Clean the areas where foam leaked out between the frame and the composite panel. Apply a bead of urethane to the inner and outer edge of any area of the roof panel where foam was present.
Inspect the roof panel bolt holes for foam or debris. Clean the bolt hole threads with a tap.

Install the roof panel shims to the roof panel assembly contact points. Verify the fit of the roof panel. Adjust the shims as required.
Notice: Discard the old roof panel fasteners and install new roof panel fasteners. Clean the 10 roof panel thread holes with a tap before installing the new roof panel fasteners to avoid damaging the bolt hole or fastener. This is required to clean the adhesive that was left from the original bolts on the threaded attachment holes.

Install the roof panel to the vehicle.
Tighten
Tighten the roof panel bolts to 9 N·m(80 lb in).

Install the headliner in the vehicle.
24.1. Slide the headliner through the rear hatch and place it into position.

24.2. Align the headliner in the following locations

• Windshield side garnish moldings

• Sun visor mounting bezel holes and sun visor clamp holes

• Rear roof bow trim panel area

Connect the rear view mirror electrical connector. Refer to the Rear View Mirror Replacement procedure in SI.
Install the windshield side garnish moldings. Refer to the Windshield Side Garnish Molding Replacement procedure in SI.
Install the driver and passenger side sun visor and sun visor clamp. Refer to the Sun Shade Replacement procedure in SI.
Install the rear roof bow trim panel. Refer to the Rear Roof Bow Trim Panel Replacement procedure in SI.
Standard Coupe Vehicle (non Z06)

Important Information: Inspect the roof panel before performing the service procedure below. Determine if the roof panel is manufactured with polycarbonate or SMC material. The interior side of the roof panel is either black or white. Roof panels manufactured with polycarbonate material are black and roof panels manufactured with SMC material are white. Carefully remove an edge of the headliner to view the interior side of the roof panel.

Remove the roof panel from the vehicle.
Notice: Be sure to protect the painted surface of the panel from damage.

With the painted surface down, support the roof panel horizontally on a glass stand, bench, or other suitable area.
Pull the edge of the headliner back about 51 mm (2 in) to view the color of the interior side of the roof panel.
• If the roof panel is manufactured with SMC material (whtie), do NOT perform the service procedure below. Re-install the roof panel. No further action is required.

• If the roof panel is manufactured with polycarbonate material (black), refer to the Roof Panel Adhesion Inspection and Foam Fill Procedure fo Standard Coupe Vehicles (non Z06) procedure found in this bulletin.

Roof Panel Inspection and Foam Fill Procedure for Standard Coupe Vehicles (non-Z06)

Tools Required
BO-48206 Two-Part Applicator Gun

Remove the roof panel from the vehicle.
Notice: Be sure to protect the painted surface of the panel from damage

With the painted surface down, support the roof panel horizontally on a glass stand, bench, or other suitable area.
Lift the edge of the headliner in the areas indicated for inspection in the next step.

Inspect for proper adhesion by inserting a 0.254 mm (.010 in) feeler gage between the panel and the frame. Particular attention should be paid to the areas around the rear latch and the front corners. If the feeler gage fits between the panel and the frame, and the depth is 19.05 mm (.750 in) or greater, the roof panel has some degree of separation.
• If the feeler gage does not identify any area of the roof panel with separation, proceed to Step 7.

• If the feeler gage identifies area of roof panel separation, replace the roof panel. The SI procedures below may be used.

- Headliner Replacement - Roof Lift Off Panel

- Roof Lift Off Panel Rear Latch Replacement

- Roof Lift Off Panel Front Latch Handle Replacement

- Roof Lift Off Panel Molding Replacement

- Roof Lift Off Panel Rear Locator Pin Replacement

- Roof Lift Off Panel Adjustment

Remove the rear latch trim screws (1) and the trim (2).

Remove the rear latch attaching bolts (3) and the rear latch assembly (4).
Install the rear latch attaching bolts (3) to the frame.

Remove the front corner brackets (5).

Tape off the rear latch and the front bracket areas.
Important: Cover the area completely with tape that has strong adhesion. It is difficult to clean the foam off of visible surfaces.

Using a pen or small knife, cut holes in the tape to inject foam.

(10) Reducer
(11) Two-Part Foam Cartridge
(12) Nut
(13) Mixer Nozzle

Important: This is a two-part foam product that expands and sets very quickly. Once the mixing begins, the foam will be set in approximately 15 seconds. It is recommended that technicians wear disposable gloves while working with foam.

Prepare a cartridge.

11.1. Remove a portion of the label.

11.2. Measure the length of the tubes containing the foam product. Divide the length and mark the cartridge into four equal parts.

11.3. Remove the top plug. Insert a screwdriver into the end and rock it back and forth.

11.4. Install a reducer into the cartridge.

11.5. Insert a mixer nozzle through a nut.

11.6. Install the nozzle onto the cartridge.

11.7. Install the cartridge nozzle assembly to the BO 48206 applicator gun.

11.8. Prepare a piece of tape to cover the hole in each front corner after the foam is injected.

Important: The following steps must be performed withn approximately 15 seconds from start to finish.

Inject the one half of the cartridge of foam into the right rear latch area (1) of the panel and the other half of the cartridge into the left latch area (1) of the panel.
Tape over the holes to keep the foam from coming out.
Prepare a second cartridge.

14.1. Remove a portion of the label.

14.2. Measure the length of the tubes containing the foam product. Divide the length and mark the cartridge into four equal parts.

14.3. Remove the top plug.

14.4. Install a reducer into the cartridge.

14.5. Insert a mixer nozzle through a nut.

14.6. Install the nozzle onto the cartridge.

14.7. Install the cartridge nozzle assembly to the BO-48206 applicator gun.

14.8. Prepare a piece of tape to cover the hole in each front corner after the foam is injected.

Important: The following steps must be performed within approximately 15 seconds from start to finish.

Insert the cartridge approximately 25 mm (1 in) into the hole.

Important: Use one-quarter of the cartridge in each of the next four steps.

15.1. While watching the cartridge, inject one quarter of the foam in one front corner, pointing front to back.

15.2. In the same corner, turn the applicator and inject one quarter of the foam, pointing the applicator from side to side.

15.3. Tape the hole closed.

15.4. Repeat for the other front corner.

Wait 60 seconds for the foam to set.
Remove all of the tape.
Look for any areas where the foam may have leaked out between the frame and the composite panel. If required, clean the area where foam leaked out between the frame and the composite panel. Apply a bead of urethane around the entire perimeter of the roof panel to improve the appearance of the roof panel edge. Apply the bead of urethane between the frame and composite panel.
Install the front corner brackets. A sharp knife or small screwdriver may be needed to remove just enough foam to install the brackets.
Remove the latch bolts.
Install the latch and bolts. A sharp knife or small screwdriver may be needed to remove just enough foam to install the latch and latch trim cover.
Install the rear latch trim cover and screws.
Install a new headliner, if required.
Install the top to the vehicle.
Courtesy Transportation - For US and Canada
The General Motors Courtesy Transportation Program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product recall is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for courtesy transportation guidelines.

Claim Information
Submit a Product Claim with the information indicated below.

Repair Performed
Part Count
Part No.
Parts Allow
CC-FC
Labor Op
Labor Hours
Net Item

Inspect Roof - No Further Action Required (SMC Roof Already Installed)
N/A
N/A
MA-96
V1516
N/A

Inspect Roof & Foam Fill

--
MA-96
V1494

-- Std Coupe

-- Z06

Inspect & Replace Roof (inc. 1.5 hrs for paint & mix time)

--
MA-96
V1495

-- Std Coupe
1-2

-- Z06

Replace Temporary Roof Installed in Cust. Sat. Program 05112 (inc. 1.5 hrs for paint & mix time)
1-2
--
MA-96
V1496

-- Std Coupe

-- Z06

Courtesy Transportation for vehicles within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (US & Canadian GM Dealers)
N/A
N/A
N/A
MA-96
N/A

* The "Parts Allowance" should be the sum total of the current GMSPO Dealer net price plus applicable Mark-Up or Landed Cost Mark-Up (for Export) for the two adhesive kits for the standard coupe vehicles, or one adhesive kit and bolt assembly for Z06 vehicles.

** The amount identified in the "Net Item" column should represent the actual sum total of the current GMSPO Dealer net price plus applicable Mark-Up or Landed Cost Mark-Up (for Export) for the tape needed to perform the required repairs, not to exceed $0.50 USD, $0.58 CAD.

*** The "Parts Allowance" should be the sum total of the current GMSPO Dealer net price plus applicable Mark-Up or Landed Cost Mark-Up (for Export) for the roof panel, and if required, the headliner for the standard coupe vehicles, or the roof panel and bolt assembly for Z06 vehicles.

**** The amount identified in the "Net Item" column should represent the actual sum total of the current GMSPO Dealer net price plus applicable Mark-Up or Landed Cost Mark-Up (for Export) for the paint allowance GI ($42.29 USD, $48.03 CAD).

***** The "Parts Allowance" should be the sum total of the current GMSPO Dealer net price plus applicable Mark-Up or Landed Cost Mark-Up (for Export) for the roof panel, and if required, the headliner for standard coupe vehicles.

****** Submit courtesy transportation using normal labor operations for courtesy transportation as indicated in the GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual for vehicles within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

******* The amount identified in the "Net Item" column should represent the actual dollar amount for courtesy transportation.

Refer to the General Motors WINS Claims Processing Manual for details on Product Recall Claim Submission.

Customer Notification -- For US and Canada
General Motors will notify customers of this recall on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin).

Customer Notification -- For Export
Letters will be sent to known owners of record located within areas covered by the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. For owners outside these areas, dealers should notify customers using the attached sample letter.

Dealer Recall Responsibility - For US and Export (US States, Territories, and Possessions)
The US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act provides that each vehicle that is subject to a recall of this type must be adequately repaired within a reasonable time after the customer has tendered it for repair. A failure to repair within sixty days after tender of a vehicle is prima facie evidence of failure to repair within a reasonable time. If the condition is not adequately repaired within a reasonable time, the customer may be entitled to an identical or reasonably equivalent vehicle at no charge or to a refund of the purchase price less a reasonable allowance for depreciation. To avoid having to provide these burdensome remedies, every effort must be made to promptly schedule an appointment with each customer and to repair their vehicle as soon as possible. In the recall notification letters, customers are told how to contact the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration if the recall is not completed within a reasonable time.

Dealer Recall Responsibility - All
All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this recall must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this recall bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.

Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this recall at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.

Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the dealer listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Recall follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.

In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this recall enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your dealership for service in the future, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the recall correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.

October 2006
Dear General Motors Customer:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

General Motors has decided that a defect that relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2005, 2006 and 2007 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles equipped with a body-color roof. As a result, GM is conducting a safety recall. We apologize for this inconvenience. However, we have taken this action for your safety and continued satisfaction with our products.

I M P O R T A N T

• Your vehicle is involved in safety recall 06041.

• Schedule an appointment with your GM dealer.

• This service will be performed for you at no charge.

Why is your vehicle being recalled?
Your vehicle may have a condition in which the adhesive between the roof panel and the frame may separate. If there is a partial separation, you may notice one or more symptoms, such as a snapping noise when driving over bumps, wind noise, poor roof panel fit, roof panel movement/bounce when a door or hatch is closed, or a water leak in the headliner. If there is a complete separation, the roof panel may detach from the vehicle. If this were to occur while the vehicle was being driven, it could strike a following vehicle and cause injury and property damage.

What will we do?
Your GM dealer will apply adhesive foam to ensure the proper adhesion, or, if signs of separation are found, your dealer will install a new design roof panel.

If you have already taken your vehicle to your GM dealer for this condition and the roof panel was replaced, we still need you to bring your vehicle in for an inspection.

This service will be performed for you at no charge . Because of service scheduling requirements, it is likely that your dealer will need your vehicle longer than the actual inspection and service correction time of approximately 25 minutes to 2½ hours, depending on the service required.

If your vehicle is within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty your dealer may provide you with shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation while your vehicle is at the dealership for this repair. Please refer to your Owner’s Manual and your dealer for details on courtesy transportation.

What should you do?
You should contact your GM dealer to arrange a service appointment as soon as possible. Bring the enclosed customer reply form with you when you visit your dealer. The form identifies the repairs required. If you no longer own this vehicle, please let us know by completing the form and mailing it back to us.

Do you have questions?
If you have questions or concerns that your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below. More information about this recall can be found at the Owner Center at MyGMLink, http://www.gm.com/recall

Division
Number
Text Telephones (TTY)

Chevrolet
1-800-630-2438
1-800-833-2438

Guam
1-671-648-8650

Puerto Rico - English
1-800-496-9992

Puerto Rico - Español
1-800-496-9993

Virgin Islands
1-800-496-9994

If after contacting your dealer and the Customer Assistance Center, you are still not satisfied we have done our best to remedy this condition without charge and within a reasonable time, you may wish to write the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh St., SW, Washington DC 20590, or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1.888.327.4236 (TTY 1.800.424.9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

Federal regulation requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.

Scott Lawson

General Director,

Customer and Relationship Services

Enclosure

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Last edited by Chevtech; 08-12-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:43 PM
dolphin2551
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now you have to watch for stress cracks in the glass top! That i have!!
Old 08-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Marina Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Vet, as you know I also have a 2006 coupe. So far mine is OK, but I did have the foam fix. I understand foamed roofs are experiencing separation as well. However, I don't remember you ever having the foam fix done.

I believe you are still under the original 3-year warranty, but I will be out after Sept. 19. If mine separates after that date, GM must still provide a replacement roof as this is covered beyond that period under a safety recall.

When my time comes I will be as concerned about paint as you are. I would appreciate an update on your outcome.

Last edited by Marina Blue; 08-12-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys! Good advise.

The bulletin above which is from May `07 talks about the adhesive repair. For some reason I thought I remember reading more recently that they were no longer doing the adhesive repair at all, that everyone was getting brand new SMC roof tops now regardless of the degree of separation. Can anyone confirm one way or the other? Are dealerships still doing the adhesive repair???

My current painted top has about 10 inches of separation. If GM is still doing the adhesive repair, I wonder if mine will qualify for repair or replacement. In my personal opinion, it's a complete waste of time to do the adhesive repair. So many of the "repaired" tops failed anyway. I'd like a new SMC roof... period.... so I no longer need to carry straps and duct tape in my tool kit.

I guess if I go to the dealer with just the roof frame only (and no skin attached) and say the skin blew off on the highway and I could not retrieve it, that would guarantee that I'd get a brand new SMC roof. But then I'd have to leave the car for a paint match since there would be no roof skin to match to.

Well, the end goal is to get a new SMC roof, and not have to leave my car anywhere overnight. I'll contact my local dealer soon and hopefully they'll be cool. Otherwise I guess I'll be driving all over Long Island trying to find a dealer that will work with me. Either that or I'll just buy a new roof myself and eat the expense. This would ultimately be worth it to me in the name of avoiding potential problems such as having my car street raced by a dealership lot boy or having a paint man spraying the hood or other such nightmares.

Oh yeah, I'll double check, but I've always thought my original top matched the rest of the car very well. So if they can do a great job of matching the new top to my existing top, I'll be very happy.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Marina Blue
Vet, as you know I also have a 2006 coupe. So far mine is OK, but I did have the foam fix. I understand foamed roofs are experiencing seperation as well. However, I don't remember you ever having the foam fix done. I believe you are still under the original 3-year warranty, but I will be out after Sept. 19. If mine seperates after that date, GM must still provide a replacement roof as this is covered beyond that period under a safety recall. When my time comes I will be as concerned about paint as you are. I would appreciate an update on your outcome.
Howdy Marina Blue, hope all is well, I am also still within 3-years of my purchase date... getting close to the three year mark though. I did NOT have the foam fix done, original roof is still bone stock, untouched.

I know some will scold me for ignoring recall notices, but I abide by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule. My roof has been fine. I have a tall stack of recall notices on my desk... but in my defense, I HAVE been checking the roof regularly with the .010" feeler gauge. As well, I am extremely sensitive to sound (I'm a part-time audio engineer), if the roof started to separate to the point where it caused even the slightest wind noise or whistling, I'd hear it immediately... and I'd know what it was... and I'd pull over and put on my "roof safety straps" that I carry in my tool kit. So, it's not like I'm not prepared.

Marina Blue, I'll keep you and everyone updated here. I'm hoping my local dealer will do the right thing. They have a good local reputation for Vette service, they sell a lot of Vettes, so we'll see. They've likely replaced hundreds of Vette roof tops, so... hopefully they've got the whole process down and know how to treat fussy customers like me.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Chevtech
Racer

Any separation requires replacement. You don't get a new roof if there isn't any separation though. You will get one when it does!!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

For the first recall, if any separation was found the roof was to be replaced. The foam fix was only done if no separation was found. It's my understanding that this repair will be performed regardless of warranty status.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Chevtech
Racer

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
For the first recall, if any separation was found the roof was to be replaced. The foam fix was only done if no separation was found. It's my understanding that this repair will be performed regardless of warranty status.
Thats right!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Some may remember this from my old cross-country road trip post, but here's a pic of my "roof safety straps". I had made these back before the new SMC tops were available... back when the whole roof separation issue was new and unsettled... just too much chaos back then as to how to properly deal with the roof tops, so I decided that I'd just make some safety straps for my cross-country trip so I'd be guaranteed not to lose my top 3,000 miles away from home.

These straps are just a silver flat ribbon type material but with thin wire reinforcement... found it at the local hardware store. The material is flat so that it doesn't hurt the weatherstripping. The material is knotted on both ends and is clamped under the front and rear edges of the roof. This still allowed the top to be removed and replaced easily while still using the straps. If the skin ever let go, these straps would positively keep the skin from flying away. This would give me a chance to pull over and tape the roof on well, get it nice and tight to eliminate water leaks etc for the ride home.

Fortunately the top never let go while on the road. Even now with the small bit of separation, there is no wind noise, and the rest of the top seems 100% solid. Who knows, in theory this top might last another 6 months and many thousands of miles or whatever as is. It's possible. But I don't want to chance it. The fact that it has separated at all shows me that it will likely keep separating now. Can't remember exactly when I had checked it last, maybe at the beginning of the summer... no separation at that time. This third summer finally did it in.

Also note... during my cross-country trip in 2006, I had been driving sometimes 95mph all day long in 95 degree temperatures... back then I had figured that if that type of use hadn't made the roof separate, it would never separate. Well, it lasted another two summers after that... not too bad I guess.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:18 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Correct and correct. The foam fix is no longer the prescribed remedy and any evidence of separation is grounds for replacement. Additionally this is a safety recall, it is independent of warranty.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Once again, thanks guys for all the info

I had done a search by the way, but most of the stuff I found was over a year old - wanted some recent info.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:27 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

E mail of interest sent to you.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AORoads
E mail of interest sent to you.
Got it and replied... thanks!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:51 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Small mistake ; email coming to you as follow up.

Get notified of new replies

To Need most RECENT official GM roof separation bulletins please - my roof is done :(

Old 08-12-2008, 10:20 PM
lowwhite6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2005 and took mine for the first time since i bought it to the dealer two weeks ago for the roof check.They said mine was real bad and had to be replaced,but it has never made any noise and looked fine.So im thinking no way is the new roof going to match three year old white paint without blending .So i asked the service guy if he would paint my new roof black and also the halo .He charged me $160.00 and did a real nice job on the paint and i like the new look but now the roof makes all kinds of sounds.Hate to go back again and it sounds like all the new roofs are making noise,also the new one has a weird fit where it meets the windshield.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:25 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 08-12-2008, 11:46 PM
GregC6
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my painted top was never used since the car came with both tops, i might use it couple times now, should i even bother with getting it to the dealer? my car is out of warranty...

Quick Reply: Need most RECENT official GM roof separation bulletins please - my roof is done :(