C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HAVC System problem-'05

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 02:13 PM
bradvett
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HAVC System problem-'05

Help? This has got to be an odd one. My '05 temp control head has gone wacko. a/c will come on, but cold air only blows out or windshield defog vent only. Blower fan operates at high speed only, otherwise temp controls are inop. Took to chevy dealer; according to them, the entire dashboard has to be removed to get at actuator and "curtain basket". Tech says he can hear the actuator trying to move to open/close appropriate vents but it can't because the "basket curtain" is in the way and the only way to move this basket curtain is to remove the entire dashboard. I'm sure I don't need to explain to any of you how crazy this is makin me. there's no way the dash will go back in as good as factory-the squeaks, rattles and noises that could potentially result in addition to creating new problems is a nightmare. Any advice and/or experience would be appreciated. If you have a good phone # for gm in bg,ky or another lead, that would be great, too. Trying to confirm tech's diagnosis is absolute before I let them pull off entire dash. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:01 PM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by bradvett
Help? This has got to be an odd one. My '05 temp control head has gone wacko. a/c will come on, but cold air only blows out or windshield defog vent only. Blower fan operates at high speed only, otherwise temp controls are inop. Took to chevy dealer; according to them, the entire dashboard has to be removed to get at actuator and "curtain basket". Tech says he can hear the actuator trying to move to open/close appropriate vents but it can't because the "basket curtain" is in the way and the only way to move this basket curtain is to remove the entire dashboard. I'm sure I don't need to explain to any of you how crazy this is makin me. there's no way the dash will go back in as good as factory-the squeaks, rattles and noises that could potentially result in addition to creating new problems is a nightmare. Any advice and/or experience would be appreciated. If you have a good phone # for gm in bg,ky or another lead, that would be great, too. Trying to confirm tech's diagnosis is absolute before I let them pull off entire dash. Thanks.
I had mine done some months ago. The problem is a torn membrane. The membrane control the direction of the air flow. I had hot air blowing from the right vent all the time.The dash must come off. GM allows 12 hours of labor for membrane replacement and another hour or so to replace the actuator.My total bill was $1550 ($91/hr labor plus parts). I had it done by a Cadillac dealer. The job was done perfectly, no squeeks or any type of noises.
Relax, I felt the same as you. Probably the worst job you want done on any car. All is now perfect.
I went to a C6 seminar at Carlisle, given by a GM super tech. I cornered him after the seminar and discussed the faulty membrane. Its a totally new design . He indicated its not a common problem and he has done only 1 in almost 4 years. There is no option, its got to be fixed. Cadillac had my car just a day and a half. The reason I chose Cadillac was that the XLR has the same design. Unlike the service writers at a number of Chevy dealers, the Cadillac writer knew exactly what the problem was. One chevy dealer said ,"wait till summer the problem will go away." Just BS. I was luckly I had an extended warranty (05) so it only cost me $100.
Again relax, it not something you want to fix yourself.
PM me if you have any questions.
Regards,
Al
Old 08-31-2008, 09:50 AM
bradvett
Racer

al, can't thank you enough for your reply. you're right, can't be anything else on a car that can potentially invite more gremlins and fear that it will never be right than pulling out and replacing a n entire dashboard. i had taken mine to a local chevy dealer for a diagnosis instead of my corvette shop thinking that the chevy place would have more experience something like this and, of course, it would be a quick fix. even the temp control head unit is something i could have done-plug and play. at 57, i've been playing with cars for a while and have above average do-it-yourself skills, so i knew this was bad and that i wouldn't touch the job myself with 10 foot pole! i believe i got lucky: the chevy service rep was diligent in finding the problem and diagnosing it correctly. he gave me 2 service bulletins about this problem-obviously a recognized problem with 100's of other vettes. i bought mine, precision red 05 coupe, aug 07 with 7500 miles on it-like some of us a boyhood dream finally coming to fruition. i do love her. one month after i had her, the transmission had to be replaced. i also had extended warranty that cover it as well as covering this hvac problem. they're giving chevy $2,000. for the job, parts and labor. anyhow, thanks again for relieving my anxiety. if you and yours are ever in palm beach county, fl., drop an email and my wife and i would be glad to buy you a drink. brad. bradmarca@aol.com.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Dttuner
Advanced

I'm resurecting this thread from the grave.
Experiencing very similar issue, and after some research I realize that this may be the problem I'm having. Bad news for me, but at least I know I'm not crazy.

Does anyone have the TSB's that I can read and take to the dealer?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The actuators are much cheaper than the labor, someone suggested replacing all of them while the dash is apart.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:27 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by c6vette
I had mine done some months ago. The problem is a torn membrane. The membrane control the direction of the air flow. I had hot air blowing from the right vent all the time.The dash must come off. GM allows 12 hours of labor for membrane replacement and another hour or so to replace the actuator.My total bill was $1550 ($91/hr labor plus parts). I had it done by a Cadillac dealer. The job was done perfectly, no squeeks or any type of noises.
Relax, I felt the same as you. Probably the worst job you want done on any car. All is now perfect.
I went to a C6 seminar at Carlisle, given by a GM super tech. I cornered him after the seminar and discussed the faulty membrane. Its a totally new design . He indicated its not a common problem and he has done only 1 in almost 4 years. There is no option, its got to be fixed. Cadillac had my car just a day and a half. The reason I chose Cadillac was that the XLR has the same design. Unlike the service writers at a number of Chevy dealers, the Cadillac writer knew exactly what the problem was. One chevy dealer said ,"wait till summer the problem will go away." Just BS. I was luckly I had an extended warranty (05) so it only cost me $100.
Again relax, it not something you want to fix yourself.
PM me if you have any questions.
Regards,
Al
Sounds almost as bad as doing a heatercore on a Fox body Mustang but it costs alot less on the Mustang.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 PM
05blkbeauty
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Had the same problem with my '05, dash had to come out and replace the membrane and another part, luckily, my labor bill was only around $900.00 (since I work for a dealer, I got the parts at a discount). They did a really good job with no rattles and it works perfectly- this is the only time I've had it to the dealership for repairs except for gas cap replacement.

Get notified of new replies

To HAVC System problem-'05

Quick Reply: HAVC System problem-'05