C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end feels very light at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 01:01 AM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 584 Likes on 336 Posts

Default Front end feels very light at highway speeds

I have noticed the front end of my 08 coupe feeling a little light at highway speeds. It requires real attention to steering to keep it steady. I'm thinking the GM full length racing spoiler is causing enough downforce on the rear to cause this or might it be alignment issues making it just feel sloppy at the front.

Anyone else have this or experience before?

Last edited by miami08VETTE; 09-01-2008 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-01-2008, 01:32 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 736 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by miami08VETTE
I have noticed the front end of my 08 coupe feeling a little light at highway speeds. It requires real attention to steering to keep it steady. I'm thinking the GM full length racing spoiler is causing enough downforce on the rear to cause this or might it be alignment issues making it just feel sloppy at the front.

No, not at all, check the front tire pressure, should be at 30 psi cold. I would also check the alignment and make sure the front air dam is on correctly. The front end should feel solid at any speed. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:42 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Should not feel light, it should feel like its stuck to the road. There's no way the spoiler is putting that much pressure on the back end. I would agree, check tire pressure, alignment, and maybe have someone else drive it who also has a Vette, for comparison. Also these tires tend to grab grooves in the road, the kind made by heavy trucks...that may be happening.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:34 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 412 Posts

If your tire pressures are not off, it has to be your alignment. Any slight misalignment will kill the straight line tracking of the car, especially at higher speeds.

Take it into a good alignment shop and have a four wheel alignment done. The difference should be dramatic.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:04 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,936 Likes on 4,815 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Should not feel light, it should feel like its stuck to the road. There's no way the spoiler is putting that much pressure on the back end. I would agree, check tire pressure, alignment, and maybe have someone else drive it who also has a Vette, for comparison. Also these tires tend to grab grooves in the road, the kind made by heavy trucks...that may be happening.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:48 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm going to have the alignment checked/done this week.

Thanks
Old 09-01-2008, 03:57 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
No, not at all, check the front tire pressure, should be at 30 psi cold. I would also check the alignment and make sure the front air dam is on correctly. The front end should feel solid at any speed. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2008, 04:20 PM
aTX427

Did you lower the car? If so, make sure you have some rake, otherwise the front will feel light under speed.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:23 PM
adias
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by miami08VETTE

As others said check your alignment but if you changed the rear aero, it will affect negatively the front...
Old 09-01-2008, 04:28 PM
CH-Z51
Drifting

Location: The Great Pacific Northwest...........I carry a gun cause a cops too heavy.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every new car I buy the first thing I always do is to have the alignment checked and in 40years I have yet to have a factory alignment that didn't need an adjustment. In fact I just had the alingment rechecked recently. Must be why my Supercar tires on my 05 Z51 are less than half worn out after 15,000 mi.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:35 PM
INGER67
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
St Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by cclive
I would agree, check tire pressure, alignment, and maybe have someone else drive it who also has a Vette, for comparison. Also these tires tend to grab grooves in the road, the kind made by heavy trucks...that may be happening.
I don't know that I'd call my front end "light" but it does seem to be all over the road. Tire pressure is good and I'm going to have the alignment checked next week.... but I really think it's the just the nature of the tires. Had GYs on my C5 and switched to Michelins.....all my problems ended. Think that's what it's gonna take for the C6 too but don't know if I can get zero pressure Michelins for this car?
Old 09-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by danl72
with danl72's
Old 09-01-2008, 04:40 PM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My '07 coupe has been rock steady up to 110mph on I-25 even with high desert cross-wind buffeting. That's as fast as I care to go, although at 110mph it still felt like it was cruising at 50mph. I never have had the alignment checked. Factory Goodyear EMTs, not Supercar, look good after 5K miles.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:30 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by aTX427
Did you lower the car? If so, make sure you have some rake, otherwise the front will feel light under speed.
Nope not lowered
Old 09-01-2008, 11:10 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,949 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by INGER67
I don't know that I'd call my front end "light" but it does seem to be all over the road. Tire pressure is good and I'm going to have the alignment checked next week.... but I really think it's the just the nature of the tires. Had GYs on my C5 and switched to Michelins.....all my problems ended. Think that's what it's gonna take for the C6 too but don't know if I can get zero pressure Michelins for this car?
I don't know what's happening here, Karen, but that's certainly not my experience. Even before I had the alignment checked and corrected, it tracked well at speed. No floaty feeling. Just for kicks, use a known tire gauge and check the pressures first thing some morning and see how it compares to the instrument reading.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:14 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Another possible reason why car seems loose at speed

I had this problem with my 06 A6 F55 (with Z51 sways). The clutch packs created a slight yaw which put a slight sideward thrusting on the car if you were NOT GOING IN A PERFECTLY STRAIGHT LINE. Vettes had alot of clutch pack problems, lots of threads on them. UNLESS YOU ARE GETTING SOME UNUSUAL TIRE WEAR, THE ALIGNMENT IS PROBABLY GOOD. Clutch packs could easily be your problem, assuming all rear tires are the same circumfances. My problem was solved when they were finally changed out, GM has a three (3) complaints before changing them out, want change fluid twice. Good luck, GM = DELAY, DELAY, AND DELAY!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:12 PM
INGER67
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
St Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by AORoads
I don't know what's happening here, Karen, but that's certainly not my experience. Even before I had the alignment checked and corrected, it tracked well at speed. No floaty feeling. Just for kicks, use a known tire gauge and check the pressures first thing some morning and see how it compares to the instrument reading.
Thanks AORoads. I don't really get a floaty feeling so much as the front end "jumping around" on less than perfect roads. My son was down a couple of weeks ago and thinks my front tires are wearing on the outer edges and that I need an alignment. Don't know if that would help but there's a good tire store up the street that does some work for us so I figure it's worth checking into. I have used a tire gauge and TPS readings are correct.

Thanks for your help.

Karen
Old 09-02-2008, 11:16 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Front end feels very light at highway speeds

No worries, even with a "very light front end" you can get married now in California

Get notified of new replies

To Front end feels very light at highway speeds

Quick Reply: Front end feels very light at highway speeds