C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bendpak md-6xp scissor lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:01 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

Default Bendpak md-6xp scissor lift

How good is this lift for the corvette? I have a pretty small garage and the scissor lift seems the only way to go.Getting tired of jacking up the car.
This lift is only a couple of hundred bucks more then a kwiklift. It's electric to, and will raise the car 4feet which is all i can go.
I have a pretty crappy concrete slab in the garage.Thinking about a good piece of steel to cover perimeter of lift.Let me know if you guys have tried this. Dont feel like saw cutting the garage floor to pour concrete.
Thanks
The lift is 1700 bucks with free delivery.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Great lift. had mine for 6 years now with no issues. It'll lift anything I've tried...Little tough working on the tunnel area, but I lift the car, drop it on stands and do the center stuff that way. No problem..

Last edited by Modshack; 09-03-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Modshack
Great lift. had mine for 6 years now with no issues. It'll lift anything I've tried...

Hey Modshack, nice picture, but do you have anymore you can show us? I keep looking at these darn things and can not really make up my mind.

Did you have to make some access ramps to go up on for clearance?
Is underneath access any good?
Only can use for wheel removal and oil changes?
Old 09-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Hey Modshack, nice picture, but do you have anymore you can show us? I keep looking at these darn things and can not really make up my mind.

Did you have to make some access ramps to go up on for clearance?
Is underneath access any good?
Only can use for wheel removal and oil changes?
Sure...You really need the ramps to get a relatively low car over the mechanisms. It's relatively easy to build them. Some guys just use a single 4x10. Access to the front and rear is perfect and that's typically where most of the work is done. I've done extensive work on this lift with cars ranging from my old Audi, to a Boxster, to my Mini and my Wife's element. It's very versatile..

Some more shots here: http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/shack_shots/ (and more pics added above)

Old 09-03-2008, 07:32 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Like the approach ramps. I would have to do that because once this lift is set, it aint going nowhere.My main concern is my garage floor, which is crap.Any ideas let me know.Some pretty good cracks. Right now i put carpet in the garage to knee my way around, thats getting old.
Thanks again
Old 09-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
Like the approach ramps. I would have to do that because once this lift is set, it aint going nowhere.My main concern is my garage floor, which is crap.Any ideas let me know.Some pretty good cracks. Right now i put carpet in the garage to knee my way around, thats getting old.
Thanks again

Yeah! once this thing is in place you don't wat to be moving it (900 lbs) despite it's claim of portability. I just park on the ramps. Even when not using the lift it makes some things easier to do. The rear rollers move maybe 14-16 inches as the lift rises. I just put some 1x lumber down with a 2" wide steel top for them to ride on (so they don't tear up my tiles.) If you can get this area relatively smooth with a skim coat of Concrete, You could do the same,,With a 9' ceiling height I can get the full 48" out of the lift and just sit on an adjustable height roller stool to do work underneath..

Last edited by Modshack; 09-03-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:43 PM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Modshack.....

As well as several others, I also have been analysing the purchase of a lift. The one you display is one of my considerations, along with a 2 post and a 4 post.

One or two questions if I may.....

You mentioned working on the midsection of the car is a little bit troublesome so, you lift the car and put it on jack stands. Do you then lower the lift and remove it from the under part of the car to provide easier creeper or roller stool access? Did you make something to cover the lift that provides a smooth surface, etc.

What kind of maintenance can someone expect of this type of lift?

And again, the floor surface....it appears you have the nominal 4 inch thick concrete floor. Is that sufficient?

Opps forgot ....do you lift using the puck positions or the GM recommended locations??

Last edited by RnLi; 09-03-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RnLi
Modshack.....

You mentioned working on the midsection of the car is a little bit troublesome so, you lift the car and put it on jack stands. Do you then lower the lift and remove it from the under part of the car to provide easier creeper or roller stool access? Did you make something to cover the lift that provides a smooth surface, etc.

What kind of maintenance can someone expect of this type of lift?

And again, the floor surface....it appears you have the nominal 4 inch thick concrete floor. Is that sufficient?
The 2 times I've done this (LG install on my car, and a tunnel plate on Zpirates car) I just supported the car (thinking of getting some of the race ramp cradles) dropped the lift down and just layed on top of the lift to do the work. You could slide a sheet of plywood in there for more comfort!) It really wasn't too awkward, and this type of work is relatively infrequent.

In 6 years this lift has required absolutely NO maintenane.

Yes, just a standard concrete floor. Weight is spread across the front cross bar, and th 2 rear rollers. Has worked fine even on heavier vehicles..

Yes, I lift from the puck locations (BMW type permanently installed)

Last edited by Modshack; 09-03-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:52 PM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are a gentleman....and I do thank you for the answers !!!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:57 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Modshack
Yeah! once this thing is in place you don't wat to be moving it (900 lbs) despite it's claim of portability. I just park on the ramps. Even when not using the lift it makes some things easier to do. The rear rollers move maybe 14-16 inches as the lift rises. I just put some 1x lumber down with a 2" wide steel top for them to ride on (so they don't tear up my tiles.) If you can get this area relatively smooth with a skim coat of Concrete, You could do the same,,With a 9' ceiling height I can get the full 48" out of the lift and just sit on an adjustable height roller stool to do work underneath..

Man thats a nice set-up you have. Sweet, and it looks awesome to.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Modshack for all the great pictures and information. Looks like this lift would be a very good choice for those of us with low ceiling hieght garages.

Get notified of new replies

To Bendpak md-6xp scissor lift

Quick Reply: Bendpak md-6xp scissor lift