C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame straightening???

Old 09-04-2008, 03:45 AM
HOUSEofI3()()$T
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame straightening???

Well there is a little more damage to my vette than expected. The 2 front frame rails are bent. Luckily its bent past the engine so I think my suspension or the frame behind it didnt get hurt, Does anyone have any experience with fixing the frame or do I need to look for a certain shop with a certain frame machine? I want it fixed right.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:26 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I've had 3 frames straightened and they turned out just about perfect. Look for a knowledgible Corvette person that has did late model straightening and you'll be OK.

Originally Posted by HOUSEofI3()()$T
Well there is a little more damage to my vette than expected. The 2 front frame rails are bent. Luckily its bent past the engine so I think my suspension or the frame behind it didnt get hurt, Does anyone have any experience with fixing the frame or do I need to look for a certain shop with a certain frame machine? I want it fixed right.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:15 AM
HOUSEofI3()()$T
Intermediate

Thanks. I dont know any here in Texas but if anyone does let me know. Thanks
Old 09-09-2008, 06:54 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Make sure that you have a competent body shop doing the work. The Corvette frame is designed with impact crumple zones in the frame both aft of the front wheels and fore of the rear wheels. These frame rails are designed specifically to collapse in a controlled fashion in the event of an impact to dissipate the impact and transmit it away from the driver compartment to reduce and prevent occupant injury. If the integrity of the frame has been compromised in these areas they will never work again as designed. Just because the frame is visually back to the way it was before doesn't mean that it is structurally the same as it was before.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Talon,
Can you point to any documentation, GM or other, that describes this in more detail? Thanks. Curious because my frame didn't crumple at all in my 40 mph hit into a Nisson Altima, although it did bend diagonally.
See how the frame is no longer square.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Futile
Pro

Originally Posted by talon90
Make sure that you have a competent body shop doing the work. The Corvette frame is designed with impact crumple zones in the frame both aft of the front wheels and fore of the rear wheels. These frame rails are designed specifically to collapse in a controlled fashion in the event of an impact to dissipate the impact and transmit it away from the driver compartment to reduce and prevent occupant injury. If the integrity of the frame has been compromised in these areas they will never work again as designed. Just because the frame is visually back to the way it was before doesn't mean that it is structurally the same as it was before.

As a former insurance damage appraiser, I can attest.

The car above, I can gaurantee is NOT square and straight. There will be some metal fatigue.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:26 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Talon,
Can you point to any documentation, GM or other, that describes this in more detail? Thanks. Curious because my frame didn't crumple at all in my 40 mph hit into a Nisson Altima, although it did bend diagonally.
See how the frame is no longer square.
Strictly based on what I am seeing in that photo I would say that the majority of that impact was on the drivers side front quarter. If that is the case, I'd say the frame did exactly what it was designed to do, bend. It would appear that the front zone on the drivers side gave in to spread the impact force. Of course some of that load was shared horizontally via the motor mounts and body work to the other side of the chasis as well.

The frame rails of the C6 have two lazy "S" bends in them. The frame rail starts high near the engine and bends down low with an "S" at the passenger compartment. It then travels straight and again with an "S" bend raises up around the rear tub just in front of the rear wheels. This shape is designed so that in the event of an impact the frame will kneel either front or rear.

I will try to find some information for you if I'm able. My information comes from discussions with engineers on the subject moreso than anything that I've read.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

I'm sorry, but to call the S-curves a crumple zone is laughable at best. The drivers side of the frame corner took the entire hit and I'd guess bent back around 6 inches and to the right about the same. That is hardly what modern car technology calls a crumple zone. The vettes design makes the frame a stiff battering ram and while I didn't check out the S-curve of the frame I'd venture to say it's still an exact S as it was before the crash. So where's the crumple. Here's a few pic of the frame system.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:15 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

If you follow GM's factory authorized repair procedure it will be back to the factory specs and as good or stronger than before.

Originally Posted by talon90
Old 09-09-2008, 09:20 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I'm sorry, but to call the S-curves a crumple zone is laughable at best. The drivers side of the frame corner took the entire hit and I'd guess bent back around 6 inches and to the right about the same. That is hardly what modern car technology calls a crumple zone. The vettes design makes the frame a stiff battering ram and while I didn't check out the S-curve of the frame I'd venture to say it's still an exact S as it was before the crash. So where's the crumple. Here's a few pic of the frame system.
I don't see the point in really arguing with you. You have your opinion that is fine. I will tell you in my opinion that it is not based much in fact however.

The video clip attached at the link below is footage of a C5 crash test. The C6 frame is based on exactly the same technology albeit more rigid than the C5 frame was. Pay particular attention to the area just behind the front fender in this full frontal impact and watch how the frame deflects - as designed. If I am not using the words "crumple zone" in the exact context that you are familiar with for that I am sorry but these areas of the frame are designed to yield at a given impact. The amount that they yield is directly proportionate to the amount of impact.

http://www.theredlion.us/C5Crash.wmv

If in fact they did not crumple there as designed the full weight of that impact would be transferred in to the drivers compartment. The car as tested in this video is on display in the National Corvette Museum. The passenger compartment is barely deformed as a result of a full head on collision with an immovable object. The damage was spread throughout the rest of the frame and body work.

Get notified of new replies

To Frame straightening???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Frame straightening???