C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Haynes Manual or other for a C6

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 05:30 PM
73'454folendore
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Haynes Manual or other for a C6

Does anyone know of a Haynes manual or any other manual for a C6 is available? The Haynes manual has always done wonders for me on late model cars. I can't find anything for a C6. Thanks
Old 09-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Bob06COUPE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sevice manuals

Bob at "Fichtner Chevrolet"...can set u up...he's a forum vendor
http://www.fichtnerchevrolet.com
under parts
alternator R&R is easy...just remember to disconnet battery ground cable first...good luck!

Last edited by Bob06COUPE; 09-19-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:03 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

I've not seen the Haynes manual out for the Corvette C6. As an alternative with Gene Culley (GMpartshouse.com) another forum vendor you can find the Helm's manuals for the Corvette here:

http://www.gmpartshouse.com/c6partslist.html

||--Helms Service Manuals--||

'97'- '08 Corvette - 134.95 shipped!!
Please Call For Any Other Make/Model Vehicle!

To order the service manuals on our site go to the home page at www.gmpartshouse.com.
Click where it says search by gm part number.

Starting in box #1 enter part number helmsmanuals and select Chevrolet make.
In step #2 of #4 you’ll find a comments section right under the verify order button.
Enter the year make and model of the vehicle in the comments section.

If you’re interested in manuals for any other GM product email us.
They’re mostly all the same price so we’ll just need to check availability for you.

Contains Factory Authorized Service information written by General Motors. It contains Diagnostic Information and Procedures, Schematics and Routing Diagrams, Component Locator, Repair Instructions, Description and Operation, Specifications, and Special Tools and equipment. Service information on HVAC, Body & Accessories, Restraints, Steering, Suspension, Driveline/Axle, Brakes, Engine and Transmission/Transaxle.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:35 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

The Helm service manual set is a lot more expensive than Haynes but these is no comparison in the detail. Haynes is very generic compared to the Helm. GM actually writes the Helm manual. The Helm set is currently 3 manuals with, I'd estimate, 5000 pages. The Helm set covers only 1 year.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I use the Helm's service manuals.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/search_s...QJCLFPV08G3GKD
Old 09-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If you plan to keep the car beyond its warranty period and do any needed repairs yourself then the Helm manuals are the only way to go.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:13 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
I've not seen the Haynes manual out for the Corvette C6. As an alternative with Gene Culley (GMpartshouse.com) another forum vendor you can find the Helm's manuals for the Corvette here:

http://www.gmpartshouse.com/c6partslist.html

||--Helms Service Manuals--||

'97'- '08 Corvette - 134.95 shipped!!
Please Call For Any Other Make/Model Vehicle!

To order the service manuals on our site go to the home page at www.gmpartshouse.com.
Click where it says search by gm part number.

Starting in box #1 enter part number helms manuals and select Chevrolet make.
In step #2 of #4 you’ll find a comments section right under the verify order button.
Enter the year make and model of the vehicle in the comments section.

If you’re interested in manuals for any other GM product email us.
They’re mostly all the same price so we’ll just need to check availability for you.
Contains Factory Authorized Service information written by General Motors. It contains Diagnostic Information and Procedures, Schematics and Routing Diagrams, Component Locator, Repair Instructions, Description and Operation, Specifications, and Special Tools and equipment. Service information on HVAC, Body & Accessories, Restraints, Steering, Suspension, Driveline/Axle, Brakes, Engine and Transmission/Transaxle.
Great info.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:22 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What type of work are you planning on doing? If it's anything beyond very basic maintenance you may want to reconsider a Haynes/Chilton style manual.

The place where these manuals are good is that they know you aren't a factory tech with thousands of $ in specialized tools so they sometimes tell you how to accomplish things by using alternate means or how to make a simple tool that will work to do the job.

That's the good. The bad is they omit a lot of stuff, and I have found several times where one of these manuals will say one thing, a competitors will say something else, and the factory manual something different still! I think that happens when there are changes made during the production run of the vehicle and they just never update it or fail to call that out.

Basically you get what you pay for. The Helm set is 3 huge volumes and coveres EVERYTHING specific to your year.

The down side of the Helm (or any 'factory' manual) is they assume you know what you are doing...and have the fancy tools.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:46 PM
FLACHUSNRET
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I have the factory manuals for my 2002 and 2005 Corvettes.
The manuals for the '02 are a three volume set but the '05 only has a two volume set which is much thicker in each volume.

These are very good manuals that were published by GM. I just went and looked in both sets and could not readily find anything about Helms or anyone else other than GM in either set. But that does not mean they aren't Helms, I just could not find any reference to Helms.

Check on the "C6 parts for sale" section of this forum to see if you can find a factory set that is used. I bought my 2005 manuals on that forum for about $90-95 and they look as good as new. They are very helpful when installing mods or making any repair to your car. If you can't find a set on the forum make a new post stating you WTB some and ask readers to respond by PM or e-mail to avoid losing them to someone else.
Good Luck!

Sanford in Saraland, Al.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:49 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by FLACHUSNRET
...These are very good manuals that were published by GM. I just went and looked in both sets and could not readily find anything about Helms or anyone else other than GM in either set. But that does not mean they aren't Helms, I just could not find any reference to Helms...
Yep. Those are the Helm (not Helms) manuals. "Published by North American Operations General Motors Corporation Warren Michigan 48090"

Click on this thumbnail for a typical page.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Thanks for the referral. I'd be happy to get you a set of manuals.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Get notified of new replies

To Haynes Manual or other for a C6

Quick Reply: Haynes Manual or other for a C6