Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 10-04-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
RACE U
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12-'13
Support Corvetteforum!

Default HELP!!!! I have curb rash on my HRE polished wheels

I was not paying enough attention and ran my rear wheel into a curb and got a significant amount of curb rash.

Can anyone give any advice as how to buff this out? The wheel has some significant "grinding" from hitting the curb. I don't know what to use to smooth this out.

Thanks for any help.
RACE U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
cthusker
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I could give you some tips but would need to see the damage. Post a pic and be glad to take a look. If however if it's really deep and depending on the wheels finish you are far better off having a professional do the repair. Minor curb rash can be greatly diminished, but a deep gouge is entirely different. For the cost of one of those wheels you are better off getting it done at the mfg or some place that has the right tools and know how to make it right. It can be very tricky business based on the type of wheel finish........ Sorry about your misfortune cause it's really a shame to have a messed up wheel when the rest of the car is perfect....
cthusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
SUB VETTE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I have used a small hand file and sandpaper to remove curb rash on polished wheels, but if it is very deep scratches this will not work. After filing/sanding use a brush and clear laquer to restore the clear coat.
SUB VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
RACE U
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12-'13
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks for the advice. I may just send it back to HRE (to be safe).

RACE U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #5
St.Char
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to St.Char

There are wheel repair companies out there, I had a local shop that specializes in repairs, fix mine, they did a great job
St.Char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #6
runutzzzzz
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Good thing they are polished and not chrome! Find a local wheel repair guy and ask for some pics of work he's done before.
runutzzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #7
Doug at RSI

Send a message via AIM to Doug at RSI

HRE willl replace the hoops for a fee. its a few hundred bucks.
Doug at RSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:20 AM   #8
danl72
CF Senior Member

Send a message via Yahoo to danl72

I agree. Send them in to HRE and let them fix it.
danl72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:47 AM   #9
Mez
CF Senior Member

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas

HRE will repair them but there are other options.

1. Repair yourself.
If the damage is not horrible, you can use a file, then 320 grit wet sandpaper, then finally Mothers aluminum polish to return it to like new. I've had a couple of minor scratches that this has worked well on.

2. Ship it to Wheel Technologies (or similar company since this seems to be a thriving industry). See their website http://www.wheeltechnologies.com/ I had my HRE center section done by them and they did a perfect job. I got it back withing 24 hours, too.
Mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
haljensen
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mez View Post
HRE will repair them but there are other options.

1. Repair yourself.
If the damage is not horrible, you can use a file, then 320 grit wet sandpaper, then finally Mothers aluminum polish to return it to like new. I've had a couple of minor scratches that this has worked well on.

2. Ship it to Wheel Technologies (or similar company since this seems to be a thriving industry). See their website http://www.wheeltechnologies.com/ I had my HRE center section done by them and they did a perfect job. I got it back withing 24 hours, too.
I've seen his wheels after the repairs, excellent job, can't tell them from new.

Wasn't there some DIY involved like dis-assembling the wheel to get that 24 hour service from Wheel Technologies?
haljensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #11
Mark Ducati
CF Senior Member

Louisville isnt "toooo far" from Atlanta, GA... there's a place here called "Wheel Wizzards" and they actually work better than magic to bring the wheel rash back to life and glory.
Mark Ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #12
coolcat
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACE U View Post
I was not paying enough attention and ran my rear wheel into a curb and got a significant amount of curb rash.
This happened to one of the wheels on my 03 coupe. I whent to my Chevy dealer and ordered a new wheel.
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:52 PM   #13
Mez
CF Senior Member

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljensen View Post
I've seen his wheels after the repairs, excellent job, can't tell them from new.

Wasn't there some DIY involved like dis-assembling the wheel to get that 24 hour service from Wheel Technologies?
In my case, I did remove the center section but I believe their normal service is 24 hours turn around. But, of course, if there is chrome or more serious damage I think it will take longer.

Wheel Technology is one of a number of repair companies for wheels. I suggest checking around your area to find a franchise who is good.
Mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #14
scooter68
CF Member

Thats the beauty of three piece wheels- just replace the outer. i had one done via hre years ago- pretty quick and not too expensive as i recall
scooter68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:38 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page HELP!!!! I have curb rash on my HRE polished wheels