C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Las Vegas 2008 Hertz Corvette ZHZ review

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Steve Theodore
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My Las Vegas 2008 Hertz Corvette ZHZ review

Hey guys and gals,

Being a former 2004 Z06 owner and longtime Corvette fanatic, I was very eager to spend some quality seat time in a C6 and had a golden opportunity to do so in sunny Las Vegas with the Hertz "fun package" 2008 Corvette C6 ZHZ edition. This car is essentially a 2008 2LT model that has aftermarket wheels, an optional GM full length rear spoiler, and a distinctive black stripe against the yellow paint. It's a 6 speed automatic model and also offers the adjustable suspension and a Hertz supplied navigation system to go along with XM radio.

I booked the car about a month ago and was definitely looking forward to having it to myself for a few days, having only driven a 2005 C6 Z51 6 speed for about 4-5 miles previous to this outing. I was planning to be especially critical of how the car compared to my former 2004 Z06 because I ultimately sold that car due to gripes about the interior and such (I never had a problem with its performance, which I loved).

Upon arriving at Hertz they treated me well enough, and I did inquire about raising the mileage limit from the allotted 100 mile per day limit. The lady checking me in said "all Corvettes are 100 miles per day" in a friendly yet somewhat flat way, but I didn't take no for an answer and requested a manager. He came out, chatted with me a bit and asked how much mileage I needed. I mentioned even 125 per day should be adequate but he smiled and approved up to 150 per day after noticing that I lived near a town that he grew up in. So, know that it's possible to get raised limits...but your luck may vary based on the location and the manager working that day.

The driving experience was a bit confusing to me at first, but this was almost exclusively due to the aftermarket navigation system which was barking voice commands at me (and ultimately got me lost). That, and I was getting phone calls, didn't know where I was going, and trying to navigate out of an unfamiliar rental car garage. Once I was on the open road, everything started to click.

First impressions were positive. I really liked the interior of this car compared to my old C5 Z06...and grew to like it even more over the coming days. This alone is worth the price of a C6 in my opinion. The steering wheel, dash layout, and quality of the materials used for ***** and buttons all helped to greatly differentiate it from a C5 in a very good way. The throttle response was very good despite the automatic transmission working against me a bit at times, and the brakes felt responsive. My particular rental had about 7400 miles on it and seemed in very good working order.

Over the 2.5 days I had the car, I accrued 252 miles (thought I'd need more before the trip) and loved every single one. Although I did scrape the lower chin spoiler a few times on hotel parking lot ramp transitions, I was pleasantly surprised by how infrequently this happened (I am sensitive to driving low sports cars too). The car was a real joy both in the city on the very busy streets and on the freeway, where I routinely did 80-90 mph without any fuss. With regard to straightline acceleration, the car felt very good from 0-80 mph but then felt like it pooped out a bit, in contrast to my old LS6 which seemed to pull quite a bit harder towards redline. The LS3 did feel very meaty down low though, and doesn't seem to give up much, if any performance, overall. Obviously the 6 speed automatic was hurting this a little, but overall I thought the transmission was pretty good. I'm sure the LS3 wakes up tremendously with an aftermarket cam!

Here is a little pros and cons list I compiled, keeping in mind I'm comparing mostly against a 2004 Z06:

PROS: Headlights that actually light the road, vastly (did I say that enough?) improved interior, really great steering feel that is at least on par with C5Z but possibly even better, better HVAC system, comfortable and smooth ride (not the performance suspension package though), nose felt noticeably shorter than the C5Z, easier to get in and out of relative to the C5Z

CONS: Top end power was a bit flat, although low-end to midrange felt great, brakes were good but not as responsive as C5Z (probably pad selection?), styling is good but not aggressive enough (that is what C6Z is for), transmission cannot compare with a true 6 speed manual with performance rear axle, horrible placement of the upshift buttons for the manual shifting that directly interfere with thumb space on the steering wheel (huge gripe!)

Keep in mind that if I ordered a C6 for myself, it would be a 6 speed manual Z51 model with 3LT...so this rental was certainly not the best representation of what I would want in my own driveway, but I came away very impressed and happy with the car overall. I would never consider another C5 Corvette after living with the C6 for a few days, and if you're used to considerable levels of refinement (Japanese, European cars, etc.) then I feel that you shouldn't either. The C6 really is that much better when judged on that. My own C5Z would ultimately win any performance based comparison against the C6 that I drove, but I doubt it would be by large margins and could ultimately come down more to a drivers skill contest.

For anyone who doesn't currently own a C6 and has been contemplating renting one to try it out, I absolutely recommend doing so with no reservations whatsoever. I was smiling the whole time and it was money extremely well spent...holding me over nicely until I can purchase my own C6Z in a couple years. Thanks for reading my mini-review, and I'm including a couple pictures too.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Gold Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

My LS3 auto pulls like a **** on the top end. It just keeps pulling hard way into the triple digits. I wonder if Hertz may have detuned the cars somewhat.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:25 PM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah after 4k in 4th it pulls like a raped ape.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:47 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes the LS3 pulls hard.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Steve Theodore
Melting Slicks

Well, I guess the following should be considered.

1. I'm used to pretty fast cars, and still own a 390 rwhp Supra (it's been a while since I owned my C5 Z06).
2. I always had a 235 pound passenger, and I weigh a bit over 200 pounds myself.

I don't have any reason to think that Hertz detuned the car, but it's always possible.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:21 AM
elofdahl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"CONS: Top end power was a bit flat"

What speed range are you referring to?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:01 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

My 09 is down on power compared to my C5, that is why I bought it and it has plenty of power up top for all my normal needs and when I need more I just fire up my boosted monster
Old 10-07-2008, 09:41 AM
DT
Le Mans Master

Hey Steve!

Sounds like you had fun - good review, sounds like you liked the car!

I like the shot over the hood, looks like some thing from Chevy marketing material

You definitely just need to get into a 6M car with Z51 [gearing] and I'm sure you'll be 100% happy with the overall performance.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:17 AM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gold Z
My LS3 auto pulls like a **** on the top end. It just keeps pulling hard way into the triple digits. I wonder if Hertz may have detuned the cars somewhat.
yeah, I have a feeling the rental cars are detuned for safety/liability... Same thing happened to me when I rented a 2007 in FL, it was very sluggish on the highway, as if it "lacked lungs"... I hope someone who knows for sure chimes in...
Old 10-07-2008, 10:31 AM
HarleyB
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good review Steve. My '01 Z06 was "dropped" off the transport from MI at the truck plaza in North Bend. My '08 C6 MN6 436 hp coupe is great upgrade from my Z. Power at all ranges. You will love it when you get one.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Steve Theodore
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by elofdahl
"CONS: Top end power was a bit flat"

What speed range are you referring to?
I guess I was referring to 100+ mph speed range. The car was pretty darn quick from 0-80 or so, definitely didn't feel like it was giving up much, if anything, there.

Originally Posted by DT
Hey Steve!

I like the shot over the hood, looks like some thing from Chevy marketing material

You definitely just need to get into a 6M car with Z51 [gearing] and I'm sure you'll be 100% happy with the overall performance.
Thank you old buddy! I'm absolutely sure you're right about the 6M/Z51 package too. I have only driven one of those briefly yet did enjoy it.

Originally Posted by ohmy
yeah, I have a feeling the rental cars are detuned for safety/liability... Same thing happened to me when I rented a 2007 in FL, it was very sluggish on the highway, as if it "lacked lungs"... I hope someone who knows for sure chimes in...
You could certainly be right about that. It was also my first time driving an automatic equipped Corvette so maybe it just didn't feel the same to me?

Originally Posted by HarleyB
Good review Steve. My '01 Z06 was "dropped" off the transport from MI at the truck plaza in North Bend. My '08 C6 MN6 436 hp coupe is great upgrade from my Z. Power at all ranges. You will love it when you get one.
Thanks for the kind words! I'm definitely excited about getting my future C6 (Z06?) and this was just a great way to get a nice introduction to the car and what it's like to live with. I was very impressed with it.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:45 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Sounds like the Hertz car changed your opinion of Corvettes (Fit & finishwise.). The C5Z has shorter gearing, giving the illusion of being faster. Also, the C6 automatic transmission & engine are "driver adaptable." It could be that the previous drivers were just driving easily in town (cruising the strip) and not much "spirited driving." This will cause the trans computer and engine mgmt. computer to go into a "lazy mode." If you were to take the car to a Chevy dealership and ask them to "reflash" those 2 computers, I'm sure your "flat on top" would disappear. Reflashing causes the computers to go into their "most aggresive" modes. It can make quite a difference.

Did you get a chance to drive up to Mt. Charleston?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Steve Theodore
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NORTY
Sounds like the Hertz car changed your opinion of Corvettes (Fit & finishwise.). The C5Z has shorter gearing, giving the illusion of being faster. Also, the C6 automatic transmission & engine are "driver adaptable." It could be that the previous drivers were just driving easily in town (cruising the strip) and not much "spirited driving." This will cause the trans computer and engine mgmt. computer to go into a "lazy mode." If you were to take the car to a Chevy dealership and ask them to "reflash" those 2 computers, I'm sure your "flat on top" would disappear. Reflashing causes the computers to go into their "most aggresive" modes. It can make quite a difference.

Did you get a chance to drive up to Mt. Charleston?
That is a great explanation of why the car might have felt a bit sluggish up top...thanks! I didn't drive up Mt. Charleston but did drive to Goodsprings for a scenic drive with the Supra guys for lunch (other than 3 trips to the Speedway complex area and cruising the strip a bit).
Old 10-07-2008, 12:18 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Good review thanks for sharing, not sure what the problem was with the high range pull as my 2008 really pulls strong in 3rd gear on. It is a manual, not sure if that is the difference but in any case glad you had a good experience with it.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:30 PM
tolnep
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

detuned?

what you wanna bet they put 87 octane regular in it with all the other fleet cars? perhaps that what is going on...
Old 10-07-2008, 02:12 PM
sks
Instructor

In my test drive of the 2LT C6, I had the same lack of top end power feel based on the butt dyno. Compared to a turbo supra (even a mildly modified one) the power tops out while a Supra keeps building power in the top end. Not to say its slow up top, but it just has a different feel, a plateau feel.

Just to add a different perspective to those that are use to driving purely naturally aspirated cars.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Steve Theodore
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dvilin
Good review thanks for sharing, not sure what the problem was with the high range pull as my 2008 really pulls strong in 3rd gear on. It is a manual, not sure if that is the difference but in any case glad you had a good experience with it.
Thank you! I have no doubt the 6M feels even better for freeway pulls due to less drivetrain loss!

Originally Posted by tolnep
detuned?

what you wanna bet they put 87 octane regular in it with all the other fleet cars? perhaps that what is going on...
Man, you may be on to something big. I never stopped to consider that (nor put any gas in the car myself) but this could absolutely be the case that the car was running 87 octane.

Originally Posted by sks
In my test drive of the 2LT C6, I had the same lack of top end power feel based on the butt dyno. Compared to a turbo supra (even a mildly modified one) the power tops out while a Supra keeps building power in the top end. Not to say its slow up top, but it just has a different feel, a plateau feel.

Just to add a different perspective to those that are use to driving purely naturally aspirated cars.
Yep, I cannot agree enough with this statement. Those of us used to turbocharged cars are used to a completely different "butt dyno" experience, particularly bigger (350+ rwhp) power turbo cars. I tried as hard as I could to relate the C6 to my former C5Z but it's been a while so my memory for the actual performance probably isn't that great. My impression of the LS3 is that it's a motor that could really benefit from a more aggressive cam though...but this could have been due to lower fuel octane or a lethargic PCM tune state (due to folks driving slowly).

Get notified of new replies

To My Las Vegas 2008 Hertz Corvette ZHZ review

Old 10-07-2008, 04:34 PM
RPHCRMZ51
Racer

Originally Posted by DT
Hey Steve!

Oh yes he will '08 CRM Z51 6spd
Old 10-07-2008, 08:36 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Love those GCA chrome wheels. The Hertz ZHZ Corvettes do not come equipped with the optional performance axle. That's the one key item missing from an otherwise well equipped C6 rental car (no 3LT WTF!!!).
Old 10-09-2008, 01:44 AM
Durty C5
Intermediate

Hmmmm.... I had my ZHZ from 10-1 to 10-7 in Las Vegas. I upgraded at the counter, car only cost $70 per day! I was told that mileage was unlimited and had no extra charges. My gripes were that the XM/Sirius didn't work at all, and the targa top squeeked horribly! Otherwise, it was leaps and bounds ahead of my 2 C5's (00 Coupe and 04 Z06). It was on par with my bolt on Z06! I'll buy a C6 as soon as I can just for the dual mode exhaust! Best stock exhaust ever!

Quick Reply: My Las Vegas 2008 Hertz Corvette ZHZ review