C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with Ogden Chevrolet in IL....Call me crazy?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 03:15 PM
BadgerPilot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem with Ogden Chevrolet in IL....Call me crazy?!?

I just purchased a 2005 vert from a private seller in the Chicago area. The car was originally purchased new from Odgen Chevrolet in Westmont IL. When purchased, the owner was originally given only one key. He was told the the dealership had misplaced the other one and they would get it to him. They never did, and since he was the only one to drive the car, he really didn't need it and forgot about it.

Now I have purchased the car and obviously would like both keys that he should have originally been given. I called Ogden, explained the problem, and the manager told me that it was not his responsibility and the owner should have been more persistent about getting it from them 3 years ago. I then called Ken, the internet salesperson whom I had spoken to previously about one of their cars for sale. He laughed at me and at the idea that they would make good on the 2nd key. I told him that I would report my negative experience on the forum and he hung up on me. He was incredibly rude and unprofessional.

Has anyone else had a negative experience with Odgen Chevrolet?

Call me crazy?!?

Is it not the dealers responsibility to provide two keys, and should they be absolved from that obligation simply because a couple years have past?

We are not talking about an expensive item here......it's a KEY!

You would think that in today's depressed Corvette market they would do what is right to keep buyers happy.

Am I wrong to expect them to provide me a 2nd key?

Awaiting opinions.............
Old 10-07-2008, 03:20 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I really don't think the Car dealer owes you a thing, you didn't purchase it from them. Go buy a key.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:25 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it does not have 2 keys, they usually don't give it to you. I have bought used cars before and some did not have two keys. The dealer did not suppy it, and I did not expect it.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:28 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jdurhan
I really don't think the Car dealer owes you a thing, you didn't purchase it from them. Go buy a key.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:33 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I would buy a new key and never do business with Ogden. They could say no, but at least give you options, maybe sell it at cost, etc to keep you as a customer.

I have to bend over backwards for my clients. Some businesses still do not see it that way.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:41 PM
onehdeagle
Racer

Exactly, it would cost about $3. Wow some people worry about nothing.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:48 PM
onehdeagle
Racer

Originally Posted by BadgerPilot
I just purchased a 2005 vert from a private seller in the Chicago area. The car was originally purchased new from Odgen Chevrolet in Westmont IL. When purchased, the owner was originally given only one key. He was told the the dealership had misplaced the other one and they would get it to him. They never did, and since he was the only one to drive the car, he really didn't need it and forgot about it.

Now I have purchased the car and obviously would like both keys that he should have originally been given. I called Ogden, explained the problem, and the manager told me that it was not his responsibility and the owner should have been more persistent about getting it from them 3 years ago. I then called Ken, the internet salesperson whom I had spoken to previously about one of their cars for sale. He laughed at me and at the idea that they would make good on the 2nd key. I told him that I would report my negative experience on the forum and he hung up on me. He was incredibly rude and unprofessional.

Has anyone else had a negative experience with Odgen Chevrolet?

Call me crazy?!?

Is it not the dealers responsibility to provide two keys, and should they be absolved from that obligation simply because a couple years have past?

We are not talking about an expensive item here......it's a KEY!

You would think that in today's depressed Corvette market they would do what is right to keep buyers happy.

Am I wrong to expect them to provide me a 2nd key?

Awaiting opinions.............
#1, Ok, I will call you crazy.
#2, Your not a buyer from Odgen, you bought a four year old used car.
#3, Your wrong, and Odgen sure doesn't need a customer that gets
their shorts in a bunch over a $3 key.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:49 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Are you talking..

key or FOB?

If key, go buy one, get over it, your a big boy! The original ower didn't purse it, don't think you as second owner have any grounds to stand on..

If FOB, I would talk nicely to them and see if they would supply one at cost.. but somehow I think that bridge has already been burnt..
Old 10-07-2008, 03:55 PM
JT Metal
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I think it safe to say that dealerships attitudes are in the gutter. I had a rough experience yesterday (with a dearship that i purchased two cars from in the past.) I currantly own five GM cars & trucks and feel little to no loyalty coming from them................
Old 10-07-2008, 04:12 PM
duckgumbo
Instructor

I was reluctant to post a response but felt compelled to do so. The dealership does NOT owe you a key or a key fob. The original owner is the one that was due the key or fob; however, he did not pursue it and therefore forfeits his rights after he sold you the car.

If you want preferential treatment from a dealer, buy a new or used car from them.

I do not know the whole story and will say that I was in the retail business for many years with over 600 employees and will tell you that there are three sides to EVERY story - Your side, the dealership's side and the TRUTH!

Before you trash the dealership about a POS key of fob, maybe you could verify how you talked to them and your tone of voice or attitude. That could be a reason for how they responded to you, but I cannot say as the only people that can tell the whole truth are you and the actual individuals that you talked to . ANYTHING else said is in my opinion Hear-say!
Old 10-07-2008, 04:17 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

I will not say you are crazy but your expectations of the dealer are out of whack. There is no way you should expect them to provide you with a second key afters years go by, on a used car you did not even purchase from them.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:20 PM
RED2008Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by duckgumbo
I was reluctant to post a response but felt compelled to do so. The dealership does NOT owe you a key or a key fob. The original owner is the one that was due the key or fob; however, he did not pursue it and therefore forfeits his rights after he sold you the car.

If you want preferential treatment from a dealer, buy a new or used car from them.

I do not know the whole story and will say that I was in the retail business for many years with over 600 employees and will tell you that there are three sides to EVERY story - Your side, the dealership's side and the TRUTH!

Before you trash the dealership about a POS key of fob, maybe you could verify how you talked to them and your tone of voice or attitude. That could be a reason for how they responded to you, but I cannot say as the only people that can tell the whole truth are you and the actual individuals that you talked to . ANYTHING else said is in my opinion Hear-say!
I agree, the original owner could be feeding you a line of crap. Any car I've ever bought had 2 keys and 2 fobs. He should have been issued a we-owe card from the dealer. Go to the parts for sale and find a fob, and I bet the key is more than 3 buck. Have a dealer cut you a key.

Good luck.....

PS. I deal with Westphal Chevy in Aurora, they will treat you right....
Old 10-07-2008, 04:27 PM
gogetum
Pro

I agree with all the folks who say the dealer owes him NADA; However, as a business practice, why not give it to him at cost to engender good feelings so that when he needs substantial work done, he remembers them fondly?
Old 10-07-2008, 04:37 PM
BadgerPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by azcanuk
key or FOB?

If key, go buy one, get over it, your a big boy! The original ower didn't purse it, don't think you as second owner have any grounds to stand on..

If FOB, I would talk nicely to them and see if they would supply one at cost.. but somehow I think that bridge has already been burnt..
Fob obviously, not a $3 key
Old 10-07-2008, 04:42 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Sorry,but they owe you nothing.......
Old 10-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Eppieguy
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
Sorry,but they owe you nothing.......

You can't expect a dealer to remember / replace a FOB from 3 years ago especially since you are not the original owner. The only way the dealer would do that is if you are the original owner and the original salesman took care of you and you were going to possibly buy another car. They don't owe you anything IMO.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:56 PM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I probably would have hung up on you to especially after threatening them with negative feedback on the forums lol. How in the heck can you expect a business to just give you something for a product that you didnt even buy from them? (not to mention its 4 model years old).
In your post you said to call you crazy so here ya go (your crazy), and to answer your question yes you are wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with Ogden Chevrolet in IL....Call me crazy?!?

Old 10-07-2008, 05:00 PM
CroOrange
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I would be more concerned of who has the other key more than anything else.

Expecting a freebie from the dealer is one thing, but expecting them to say what happened to the original key is another.

What happens if the car is stolen?

If possible I would change the keys of the car as a security measure.

a++ Cedric
Old 10-07-2008, 05:01 PM
K9KUZ
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a similar situation on a used Toyota. The seller was the Toyota dealer. The original owner only turned in one key. My salesman said they would get the other key. It didn't happen. So several phone calls and several weeks go by. Then I pushed hard, but politely, with the GM.; reminding him that this was the 13th vehicle I had purchased from them.
That finally worked.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:10 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gogetum
I agree with all the folks who say the dealer owes him NADA; However, as a business practice, why not give it to him at cost to engender good feelings so that when he needs substantial work done, he remembers them fondly?

I agree that the dealer is not obligated to you, but as a good will gesture, I would think they would accommodate you. Now they have pissed off and lost another potential customer in these fine economic times.

Quick Reply: Problem with Ogden Chevrolet in IL....Call me crazy?!?