C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GETTING IN and GETTING OUT

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:03 PM
luvlake
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 62.5, 3rd vette and I plan to keep mine or if I live long enough get a C7 till they plant me. Own an 08 Arctic White Vert, with two tone red/ebony interior....
Old 10-08-2008, 08:27 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
Erm... I just get in an out just like any other car... I don't get what the difficulty is; its not like we are talking about a small car here...?
I get in and out like any car
Old 10-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the easy exit feature so the seat automagically goes back and the steering wheel goes forward to make getting in and out easier. To get in I open the door; place my right foot into the car; and I rotate my body as I lower myself into the seat. I don't crash into the seat nor do I slide-down into the seat. I think sometimes I put the palm/heel of my left hand onto the bottom of the door sill to support my body weight as I get in.

When I get out I most often place the palm/heel of my left hand on the bottom of the door sill to support my body weight to 'lift' myself out. I never grab onto the steering wheel or door. The seat bolster still looks fine after 3+ years.

If getting in or out is a problem due to age or infirmity, you have to experiment to see what works best for you. I find the 'key' is putting the palm or heel of your left hand on the bottom door sill to support your body weight.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:19 PM
BillH2121
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maxp
I get in and out like any car
Read some of the "worn leather" threads and you'll find that there's a developing science regarding the proper method for ingress and egress.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:17 PM
lh4x4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 68 and 6'3" 240 lbs. My method to get into a Vette, MX5 and Honda S2000 is to back to the opening, bend down while you fold your upper body like a jack knife stay balanced. Once in the seat bend your right leg sideways and pivot into the seat. Works great for me. Reverse for exiting. You should see me get into the Miata. With this method, my 6'5" son has gotten into the Miata. His knees just don't fit between the door and steering wheel.

After getting into the Miata and S2000 the C5 and C6 are like big Buicks to me.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Roc Rinaldi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtoner
61........OLD?!?!?!?

Some people..........

Thank you. You made my day.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Roc Rinaldi
Racer

Originally Posted by luvlake
I'm 62.5, 3rd vette and I plan to keep mine or if I live long enough get a C7 till they plant me. Own an 08 Arctic White Vert, with two tone red/ebony interior....
Do you have a problem with SOOT accumulating across the rear-end of your car? I have this problem continuously with a Velocity Yellow car. Since yours is White, I thought that maybe you also experienced this phenomenon.

Last edited by Roc Rinaldi; 10-09-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:07 AM
RussellZ
Burning Brakes

Wow, all of you old folks are scaring me. I'm only 42 and I hope I'll be able to get in my car by the time I turn 43 in a few weeksr. I may have to buy a hoist and hire a nurse to help me. Perhaps I will need a spotter when I exit too. OMG, getting old must suck!!!

(with all due respect, I'm only kidding).
Old 10-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Roc Rinaldi
Racer

Originally Posted by RussellZ
Wow, all of you old folks are scaring me. I'm only 42 and I hope I'll be able to get in my car by the time I turn 43 in a few weeksr. I may have to buy a hoist and hire a nurse to help me. Perhaps I will need a spotter when I exit too. OMG, getting old must suck!!!

(with all due respect, I'm only kidding).
Well I'm not kidding. Getting old does suck. But what are you going to do? Die? I don't think so. I had a wise man tell me once that after 60 it is all down hill. .....and a very steep hill at that.

Dance as if no one is watching and live as if today is your last and be true to yourself.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:23 AM
dsdrury
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Hi guys, I am 66 years old and I usually back into my coupe and then swing my legs in using my right arm on the center console for leverage.
Getting out my seat is already all the way back, I swing our my legs using the door sill and then stand up. Donn
Old 10-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Smitter
I am an old guy too, with a bad hip. Getting in is easy once you get going gravity takes over. Getting out I put my hand on the rocker panel for an added boost. I will never give up the Corvette even if I have to crawl out. Good Luck.
That's what I do. When people ask me how I like the Vette, I tell them the car is great but I would not want to get in and out of it all day long. I also think the above will help prevent the bolster from wearing out. Good Luck
Old 10-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Lead Foot 66
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm 67. Old? Not yet. It IS a state of mind.

Now getting in and out, it is part of my daily exercise routine.

My car has the auto exit option so getting in I put my right foot on the floor and just lower myself into the car. Getting out I swing my left leg out and pivot to the left and step out, grabbing onto the wheel for added support and leverage.

I'm not letting go of this car until I'm cold and dead...about 30 years or so.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:30 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Roc Rinaldi
See, you are my junior partner. I will turn 62 this November.
Did you know Abe Lincoln
Old 10-09-2008, 03:34 PM
John Cullen
Racer

Default Old? Naa

I'm 68 and drive 07Z till the day I kick the bucket.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:40 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by AutoCutter
Did you know Abe Lincoln
i rember waiting for the car am radio,s tubes to warmup and the CD thats civil defense not compact disk, they had 2 stations to tune to so ya knew when to kiss yer butt goodbye
Old 10-09-2008, 03:54 PM
pokerplayer
Instructor

Originally Posted by DT
I sprint across the yard [naked] and jump in with both feet first. I also wear a helmet and lube my whole body with Vaseline.

YMMV.

LOL that was a good one

Mike
Old 10-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm a couple of wake-ups short of 60, so I guess I'm an "old guy" too. I can no longer hop in and out the way I once would have. Now left hand placement is the real trick. When getting in I grab the left side seat bolster and let my left hip slide over the back of my hand as I sit down. That saves wearing a hole in the bolster covering (which I'm told isn't really leather). When getting out I rest my left hand on the door sill for a boost up.

Get notified of new replies

To GETTING IN and GETTING OUT

Old 10-09-2008, 05:04 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoCutter
Did you know Abe Lincoln
now that is really cold ....... you will be there some day oh, and by the way Abe was a good old boy but he always wore a funny hat to school and we all made fun of him
Old 10-09-2008, 07:53 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
Have the auto exit seat position set for all the way back. Have the steering wheel tilted up. Then I put one foot in, followed by the other as I lower myself into the seat, while holding onto the console and the steering wheel.
To exit, place the left hand on the rocker sill for support and roll out of the seat. You will know naturally when to pull your feet out. this trick is known as the "Corvette Roll".
Old 10-09-2008, 10:51 PM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll be 70 on what used to be January Super Bowl weekend, when everybody partied for us late January birthday folks, whether they knew it or not, but the NFL moved SB to February a few years ago.

GETTING IN:
Open door.
Lower butt into seat.
Fold walker legs.
Lift walker onto lap.
Remove two wheeled walker legs.
Place wheeled walker legs on passenger side floor.
Collapse remaining two walker legs.
Place walker on passenger side floor with top side down.
Swing legs (mine, 6'-3", 170, 36" inseam, 14 shoes), right then left, into car.
Close door.
Lock door.
Insert Glock-30 magazine, chamber one 45ACP.
Start button.
Smile.
Go.

With a passenger, walker goes into the back hatch, either over my shoulder or thru the hatch.

Life is good, so far. Just bought a 7-year GMPP Major Guard, for the next guy, most likely.

Quick Reply: GETTING IN and GETTING OUT