C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two mysteries solved: chimes on entry and rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 11:16 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

Default Two mysteries solved: chimes on entry and rattle

I've only had two minor issues with my 2009 vert so far...which is way ahead of my 2005's service history already.

Since delivery, it's had an annoying rattle over very rough roads. The rattle seemed to come from behind the passenger's seat, but I couldn't find it. I thought I had it by tightening the wingnuts under the tonneau cover, but that wasn't it.

The other odd thing was a constant chime that was generated when my wife, who uses fob 2, entered the car. This happened about 50% of the time. I use fob 1 and never had the problem.

I just gave the car to my local dealer and it took them two full days to figure out both problems. I know the tech who serviced the car, and he called me a few times with questions and updates. Here's what it turned out to be:

That mysterious chime on entry turned out to be a warning chime. Apparently when my wife turned the car off, she sometimes held the start button down too long and activated the accessory mode. On re-entry, the car chimed to warn her that she left it in accessory mode, rather than off. Our 2005 turned off as soon as the button was hit, while the 2009 requires you hold the button down about two seconds, so this is an easy mistake to make.

The rattle took most of the two days to find. All obvious sources of a rattle, including the exhaust system were checked and found to be okay. A loose wiring harness was found behind a panel, was insulated, and turned out to be nothing. Eventually, with all the interior panels removed, the source of the rattle became obvious. It was the striker in the right door's latch mechanism. As soon as this was tightened all rattles disappeared completely. Another 10 miles of testing, in sport mode, over some of our worst roads produced not a single rattle.

I picked up the car this morning...vacuumed, washed, with paper mats on the floor. I drove the 15 miles back to my house, driving over every bump I could find...not a single rattle.

A good dealer can really be a great asset!

Last edited by StanNH; 10-24-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:45 AM
95blklsc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a noise in my drivers side door on my 08 that sounds like what you are describing. It sounds like the latch mechanism isn't tight enough on the door latch and when I hit a hard bump (especially with Z51 suspension) it make a heavy rattle. I can't replicate at all unless I hit a hard bump. No amount of pushing on the door in any direction will cause the noise or movement.

So how exactly did they tighten the striker? Did they just adjust the alignment of the latch mechanism in the door jam?
Old 10-24-2008, 11:59 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 95blklsc
So how exactly did they tighten the striker? Did they just adjust the alignment of the latch mechanism in the door jam?
I'm not sure how he fixed it. I'll see the tech who worked on it today or tomorrow and will ask him. I'll post his explanation here as soon as I talk to him.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Glad to hear they found and fixed both problems, Stan.

It helps when you've got a good and conscientious dealer.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:07 PM
95blklsc
Racer

Originally Posted by StanNH
I'm not sure how he fixed it. I'll see the tech who worked on it today or tomorrow and will ask him. I'll post his explanation here as soon as I talk to him.
That would be great as it sounds like we have/had similar problems. I would bring my car in but I don't yet trust my local dealer. I would trust the place I bought the car from (MacMaulkin) but they are about 80 miles away..... Looking forward to hearing the solution in more detail!!
Old 10-24-2008, 12:12 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was right there with you until I came to this sentence:

"I picked up the car this morning...vacuumed, washed, with paper mats on the floor.."

Even if my dealers name was God (as opposed to what I usually call them right after that), I wouldn’t let them do this!
Old 10-24-2008, 01:10 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by S2K
I was right there with you until I came to this sentence:

"I picked up the car this morning...vacuumed, washed, with paper mats on the floor.."

Even if my dealers name was God (as opposed to what I usually call them right after that), I wouldn’t let them do this!
Yeah, I know, but they've been servicing my Vettes since I bought my '05 in 2004 from them. They have never put a scratch on my car or left any signs they were ever in it. They really do take good care of it.

That, plus it was 27 degrees this morning...and there was no way I was going to wash it myself.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:18 PM
95blklsc
Racer

which dealer do you go to?
Old 10-24-2008, 01:24 PM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my '08 may be experiencing the same rattle on my passengers side as well. It only does it once in awhile under certain bumps If you can, find out what they did, as it may help a lot of us on this board.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:25 PM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A good dealer makes the ownership of a Vette even better.

Congrats on getting everything squared away.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:29 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
Glad to hear they found and fixed both problems, Stan.

It helps when you've got a good and conscientious dealer.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:49 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 95blklsc
which dealer do you go to?
They're just a small local dealer. They're not really a "Corvette" dealer and only get in a few Vettes every year, but they do have a really good service department and some decent salespeople.

The dealer is Littleton Chevrolet in Littleton, NH. Right now they have a red Z06 and an AO 4LT vert on the lot. Both are 2008 leftovers.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:03 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Default Here's the solution

The striker is not a one piece unit. It fits through a mounting bracket with a plastic sleeve. The end of the striker is peened to keep it in place. There was enough movement in the assembly to cause a loud rattle when the car went over rough pavement. The striker on the driver's door was tight and did not rattle at all.

The tech just spot welded the peened end of the striker to the bracket, which stopped all the rattling. In most cars these are a one piece unit, so it's not a problem.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:14 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good news. I guess I've been lucky with my 05 having no rattles or problems.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The striker is not a one piece unit. It fits through a mounting bracket with a plastic sleeve. The end of the striker is peened to keep it in place. There was enough movement in the assembly to cause a loud rattle when the car went over rough pavement. The striker on the driver's door was tight and did not rattle at all.

The tech just spot welded the peened end of the striker to the bracket, which stopped all the rattling. In most cars these are a one piece unit, so it's not a problem.
Let me get this straight, a dealership tech actually fixed the part rather than replacing it after a xx day wait?
Give that man a gold star.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

This is weird.

I had a door rattle over bumps like you describe for about a month. I thought it was some new stainless screws I put in didnt hold a panel in place.

One day I had trouble closing the door (the latch wasnt closing) door was ajar basically.

After a few tries closing the door and unsuccessful it closed okay on the 3rd or 4th try.

Now no Rattle.

I'm gonna have to really check out the door latch mechanism
Old 10-24-2008, 08:42 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Let me get this straight, a dealership tech actually fixed the part rather than replacing it after a xx day wait?
Give that man a gold star.
The guy is a real old time type of mechanic from New Jersey, with about 35 years of experience under his belt. He's become a good friend of mine, and we go target shooting together every Sunday. Whenever my car is in for any kind of service, he watches over it like a hawk.

He's a great guy and a very skilled mechanic. When my 2009 came in he popped on my splash guards and installed the Z51 sway bars during his lunch hour for me...as a favor. I just keep hoping he won't move or get laid off. Someone like this is just priceless.

Get notified of new replies

To Two mysteries solved: chimes on entry and rattle

Old 10-24-2008, 09:17 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Glad both problems are non issues now, you are fortunate to have someone you can trust and rely on to work on your Vette.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:02 AM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Buy that mechanic a six pack of Saranac beer and the pizza of his choice.

So far, I have not had to take my 08 in for anything. I am going to change my own oil, the local dealers here SUCK!! I have a friend who is the chief mechanic/owner of of a local garage. I will use his drive on lift and change the oil. Most of the time he never charges me a dime. On extensive work on my C4 he charged me $40.00 bucks an hour labor, I bought any parts at his cost. I am usually right there wrenching with him.

Replacing the front rotors, pads, rear rotors and pads on the C4 was a total of $40.00 - I already had the parts. That included us flushing the entire brake system with SBR fluid.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:54 PM
95blklsc
Racer

Thanks I'll have to do some looking. When you say the striker do you mean the latch assembly on the door jam (not the door)?

Quick Reply: Two mysteries solved: chimes on entry and rattle