C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud click from shifter /brake pedal Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 05:37 PM
NICE 60
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud click from shifter /brake pedal Any ideas?

I am getting a loud clicking noise and vibration when I step on the brake pedal to move car out of park.You can actually feel the vibration with your hand on the shifter.Never did this before,does anyone have any idea what this could be? Some kind of switch going bad? I am not happy because I just got the fix for the delaminating roof panel done (came out great) last week. Don't want to leave it at dealer again. I would appreciate any input you guys have! Thanks ps the noise/vibration is only in the shifter not the brake pedal and it is a 2006 A6 trans

Last edited by NICE 60; 10-24-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NICE 60
I am getting a loud clicking noise and vibration when I step on the brake pedal to move car out of park.You can actually feel the vibration with your hand on the shifter.Never did this before,does anyone have any idea what this could be? Some kind of switch going bad? I am not happy because I just got the fix for the delaminating roof panel done (came out great) last week. Don't want to leave it at dealer again. I would appreciate any input you guys have! Thanks ps the noise/vibration is only in the shifter not the brake pedal and it is a 2006 A6 trans
It's the solenoid in the BTSI (brake transmission safety interlock). The solenoid, when activated moves a pawl that releases a lock in the shifter so you can shift out of park. It's wired throught the brake pedal. The idea is that you have to have your foot on the brake to shift out of park as a safety feature.

Hearing and feeling the energizing of the solenoid is normal
Old 10-24-2008, 07:16 PM
call2wolf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same situation on my 07.

According to my technician that is normal & nothing to worry about!!!
Old 10-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Yea sounds like a timebomb without the detonation.

Good Luck.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:30 PM
NICE 60
Advanced

Thanks for your replys ,guys! But I don't think it is normal becuse it is very loud now,before I would hear it slightly (normal) and not feel it.I guess it's back to the dealer again.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:17 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by call2wolf
I have the same situation on my 07.

According to my technician that is normal & nothing to worry about!!!
I have the same in my 07. My Mazda 3 makes a similar noise as well but on the Mazda 3 if the solenoid fails, you just remove a piece off the console shifter with a screwdriver and then move the car into whatever gear you want...I wonder if you can do a similar thing on the Corvette?
Old 10-25-2008, 06:15 AM
moolys
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

It is normal mine does it too
Old 10-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c54u
I have the same in my 07. My Mazda 3 makes a similar noise as well but on the Mazda 3 if the solenoid fails, you just remove a piece off the console shifter with a screwdriver and then move the car into whatever gear you want...I wonder if you can do a similar thing on the Corvette?

Yes you can. Some GM cars have an access hole to make it easy. Some GM cars even have a subtle stamp on the console that says "push to release". No one knows what that means so they stopped labeling it.

As you stated it's just an emergency manual release to get the car in gear if the BTSI solenoid fails.

Get notified of new replies

To Loud click from shifter /brake pedal Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Loud click from shifter /brake pedal Any ideas?