C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bob McDorman Chevrolet dealer rant

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Heat Mizer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bob McDorman Chevrolet dealer rant

I have had my 2008 AO coupe for exactly 60 days today. In those 60 days my car has been in Bob McDorman Chevrolet "Corvette" center almost 1/3 of the time. I understand that no mechanical machine is going to be perfect, not even a Vette but what I don't understand is why this dealership continues to outright lie about fixing the problems.

The latest problem I had was this morning. I had parked my car in my garage on Sunday evening. I went out to start it this morning and the battery was so dead I had to use the key to open the trunk to open the door. Nothing was left on or open. The battery had just died. The day I test drove the car the battery was dead too but they told me they had put in a new one. When I called the dealership today the service technician actually told me that if I was going to park my car for as long as I did (3 days) that this type of thing would typically happen. I would need to start my car more often. He proceeded to tell me that with all of the computers and self monitoring the car does the battery wouldn't last longer than that. What kind of crap is that. The space shuttle can sit longer than 3 days without a charge but my Vette can't. After running around in circle's they finally said I would need to bring it back for them to look at. This would make the 5th time in 60 days. My car has been in their garage for 8 of the last 14 days.

I can't even begin to tell you how disappointed I am. It is really sucking the life out of what I thought was going to be an awesome automobile experience. Anyone else have this type of issue. Any thoughts on what I might be able to do. Is there any avenue through GM to get my problems taken care of?
Old 10-30-2008, 06:55 PM
CRUZMSL
Intermediate

Get a "Battery Tender Plus" $65, or similar battery maintainer. Plug mine in every night after use. Same with the Harley. No issues with either battery.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Heat Mizer
Instructor

Do you really need to tend a battery when you park it for just a couple of days. Seems ridiculous to me. A $50,000 car with a $.50 battery
Old 10-30-2008, 06:59 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I left my 2005 parked for 45 days while I recovered from heart surgery. The day the doctor released me to drive again, I went out and the Corvette started right up. Anyone who tells you that the battery running down in a few days is normal, doesn't know what he is talking about. Find a different dealer to service your car, or better still, take it to a good independent mechanic.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:59 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Come on, 3-days is ridiculous. Just silly. I have left mine for WEEKS without this issue. It has many many times over the years been left for 3+ days with no issues.

Find another dealer (you don't have to service it where you bought it) and call GM if this sort of thing continues.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:00 PM
ATOMICV8
Racer

Sorry to here about your problems, trust me on this one, you have an amazing car for the money. Your problems are not the norm for this car.How long did the car sit at the dealership before it was purchased or did you order it? A slow drain on a battery will suck the life out of a battery. My car has sat for over a month with no problems. Sounds like your mechanic is full of s**t.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:01 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat Mizer
...When I called the dealership today the service technician actually told me that if I was going to park my car for as long as I did (3 days) that this type of thing would typically happen. ...
Typcal dealer A new battery should last several weeks without a problem. Are you sure they put a new one in? A battery that has been totally discharged just a few times will have the short life you are experiencing. When was your car manufactured? I can imagine they did a fast charge on it every time someone was interested and this killed the battery and then they didn't bother giving you a new one.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:01 PM
derv3tt3
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

When I tried my Atomic Orange 08 at the dealer it was dead.But after buying it Aug.22 it has set at least 10 days and it still fired right up.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Arthur6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have a battery tender. NEVER had a dead battery. Car sits for a month at a time. 05 - 6spd. 48,000 miles now.

The dealer thing…
Some dealers are unbelievably bad. My local was that way - Now I bring the Service guy a 12 pack about once a month. Service has improved GREATLY.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:04 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had my '08 sit for about a week and a half and it started right up. They are giving you a load of crap.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:05 PM
kdhand
Instructor

Mine sits several days between starts and have had no issues...don't let them get away with that BS!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heat Mizer
Do you really need to tend a battery when you park it for just a couple of days. Seems ridiculous to me. A $50,000 car with a $.50 battery
That would be rediculous for any car. My '08 sits for weeks at a time and starts right up. If your dealer can't give you a car that will start up when you want it to you should follow the process and call the customer assistance center for some help.

I think once you get a good battery and find the drain if there is one you will love the car.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:06 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 06. The technician ensured that the battery demonstrated a problem so it was replaced.

The car now sits for a week at a time and all is well. It is now put away for the winter so I have a battery tender on it.

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

I know what the problem is.

Onstar module is draining the battery.

They need a more competent technician.

you do have On-star right? If Not then they can still find the issue by doing dilligence.

Seriously I was just at Chevy and a vette was in for a mysterious dead battery.

They researched and researched and figured out it was on-star.

I said a prayer for my module and left
Old 10-30-2008, 07:13 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Typcal dealer A new battery should last several weeks without a problem. Are you sure they put a new one in? A battery that has been totally discharged just a few times will have the short life you are experiencing. When was your car manufactured? I can imagine they did a fast charge on it every time someone was interested and this killed the battery and then they didn't bother giving you a new one.
My thoughts exactly -- and saved me all that typing!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:14 PM
swifty
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I understand what your frustration level must be like by now. I hate to sound negative but if the Dealer is truly non-responsive you might tell them you are looking into the possibility of a "lemon-law" return - it sounds like you might have qualified by now. Check with your local codes (or an attorney) but I think that avenue should be pretty universal by now. Good luck,
Old 10-30-2008, 07:16 PM
vettechictwins
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08
Default battery

That is such a lie from your dealer. We drive our car maybe once every three weeks. SOmetimes it sits for a month. Never ever had a problem.

Vette Chic Twins

Get notified of new replies

To Bob McDorman Chevrolet dealer rant

Old 10-30-2008, 07:16 PM
MurphMan2
Pro

Not hi-jacking but I have been reading this thread and what they are telling you is ridiculous. Now, I have only owned my car for 2 months also and can't believe that some are saying that they have not started it for 4-5 days, a week, a week and a half, etc like this should be considered some great accomplishment.

When I put this car away for the winter I would fully expect it to start come April like my '01 Mustang has for the past 7 winters.

Is that asking too much? Am I being unrealistic?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:18 PM
dbraver2
Melting Slicks

Received 142 Likes on 66 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by MurphMan2
Not hi-jacking but I have been reading this thread and what they are telling you is ridiculous. Now, I have only owned my car for 2 months also and can't believe that some are saying that they have not started it for 4-5 days, a week, a week and a half, etc like this should be considered some great accomplishment.

When I put this car away for the winter I would fully expect it to start come April like my '01 Mustang has for the past 7 winters.

Is that asking too much? Am I being unrealistic?
Yes
Old 10-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by vettechictwins
That is such a lie from your dealer. We drive our car maybe once every three weeks. SOmetimes it sits for a month. Never ever had a problem.

Vette Chic Twins

try a new dealer

Quick Reply: Bob McDorman Chevrolet dealer rant