C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Spider Web Cracks

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:15 PM
pigglyo
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlight Spider Web Cracks

I bought a 2005 from Bregstrom of Neenah Wisconsin. Before I got it off the lot I noticed that the headlight plastic had spider web cracks all over them. Also the fog light covers where all chipped. The service dept. told me it was from gravel hitting the plastic covers and the body didn't get chipped because it's flexible and it's clearcoated. ( I hope they don't treat all there customers like idiots) They did replace one headlight, but the other headlight and fog lights are my problem. So in the end, I paid $35000. for a car and I get to stick another $1700-$1800 into it to make it right. That's Bergstrom where you get to pay a Great Deal More.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:30 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by pigglyo
I bought a 2005 from Bregstrom of Neenah Wisconsin. Before I got it off the lot I noticed that the headlight plastic had spider web cracks all over them. Also the fog light covers where all chipped. The service dept. told me it was from gravel hitting the plastic covers and the body didn't get chipped because it's flexible and it's clearcoated. ( I hope they don't treat all there customers like idiots) They did replace one headlight, but the other headlight and fog lights are my problem. So in the end, I paid $35000. for a car and I get to stick another $1700-$1800 into it to make it right. That's Bergstrom where you get to pay a Great Deal More.
That's a shame. The spider web cracking you see is a condition called crazing. These are hairline cracks of either the hard coating on the polycarbonate lens cover material or deeper and actually structural in the polycarbonate itself. This condition is generally caused by heat buildup in the lens cover and most commonly contributed to by having clear bra material installed. All clear bra material will not cause this. It can be caused by improper installation using a wetting solution that contains too much alcohol or by the film being too thick and trapping heat in the enclosure.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:35 PM
LS2-Zomb!e
Safety Car

Yeah tell me about it. I had a tinted Headlights so when I removed the the plastic film SURPRISE!! cracks all over the lens. I hated the car and myself for a couple of days but the next week I tinted them back - this time 3 layers of %100 plastic film
Old 11-12-2008, 02:20 PM
blacktxc6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pigglyo
I purchased a certified pre owned 06 this July. It has the same issue only on the passenger side headlight. I didn't think it would cost that much to replace the headlight (thought it was just a lens - first time vette owner here) and find out they are 800-900 each! Yikes! Is this considered a factory defect? Would it be covered under warranty? I don't know if the previous owner had tint on the cover (doubt it based on everything else about the car.. completely stock)
Old 11-12-2008, 02:25 PM
philip_g
Drifting

I got both of mine replaced under warranty 2 weeks ago, it's worth a shot.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:28 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by blacktxc6
I purchased a certified pre owned 06 this July. It has the same issue only on the passenger side headlight. I didn't think it would cost that much to replace the headlight (thought it was just a lens - first time vette owner here) and find out they are 800-900 each! Yikes! Is this considered a factory defect? Would it be covered under warranty? I don't know if the previous owner had tint on the cover (doubt it based on everything else about the car.. completely stock)

It is not likely a factory defect. Crazing has a proven correlation with external contributors that I listed above. So much in fact that GM has strict guidelines with dealerships that if they identify ANY evidence of a film installation on the lens cover they will not honor any warranty claim on a headlight component.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:39 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i've seen two cars, that don't/didn't have film installed on the car or headlights, with these cracks. i don't think film has anything to do with the problem.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:45 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by gbgary
i've seen two cars, that don't/didn't have film installed on the car or headlights, with these cracks. i don't think film has anything to do with the problem.
You are welcome to that opinion. In most cases the film is a direct contributor to the crazing. I work in an industry that uses Lexan and polycarbonates. That is not to say that other things won't and don't contribute but film overlay on the lenses very much can.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:45 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

didn't you look at the car before you bought it?....seems to me you bought the car without going over it thoroughly....in this case it's not even remotely the dealers fault....sorry
Old 11-12-2008, 03:39 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think there was a TSB about the headlight crazing. But in any case, it should be covered under warranty.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:43 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Perhaps lots of sun would also contribute to the crazing...
Old 11-12-2008, 03:45 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gilly6993
didn't you look at the car before you bought it?....seems to me you bought the car without going over it thoroughly....in this case it's not even remotely the dealers fault....sorry

I think that means he saw it before taking it home.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:13 PM
blacktxc6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gilly6993
If you read my post again, you might notice I said my initial thought was that the lens was a separate piece and would not be that expensive. If you read further, you will see I have never owned a vette before. I did look at the car before I bought it, simply misjudged the severity of the damage and it's related cost. I am sure YOU have never made a mistake, so I cannot expect you to understand. Also, I don't recall EVER mentioning it was the DEALER's fault, I simply wondered if it was a manufacturer's defect, if others had the same experience, and if it was covered under warranty. I will still try to make a warranty claim, thank God my local dealer has much better "people skills" than some people in this forum!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:19 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by danl72
I think there was a TSB about the headlight crazing. But in any case, it should be covered under warranty.
sounds like both cases involved used cars - warranty may not be in play unless transferred at sale (if possible) or extended purchased. in any case, Talon90 is right on and most threads posted on this support the lack of an external cause other then material placed over the clear lense (bras, tinting, etc).
Old 11-12-2008, 04:52 PM
blacktxc6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dpigguy
sounds like both cases involved used cars - warranty may not be in play unless transferred at sale (if possible) or extended purchased. in any case, Talon90 is right on and most threads posted on this support the lack of an external cause other then material placed over the clear lense (bras, tinting, etc).

I don't think the fact both cars were used is an issue at all. I have had several other warranty-related items honored under the 36/36 warranty, despite the fact I am the 3rd owner. I don't think the dealer would have repaired them unless they were going to be reimbursed by GM for the work/parts. I know the GM warranty is not the best in the business, but as far as I know, it's not only for the initial owner...it covers defects in the car
Old 11-12-2008, 09:27 PM
philip_g
Drifting

I don't think the fact both cars were used is an issue at all. I have had several other warranty-related items honored under the 36/36 warranty, despite the fact I am the 3rd owner. I don't think the dealer would have repaired them unless they were going to be reimbursed by GM for the work/parts. I know the GM warranty is not the best in the business, but as far as I know, it's not only for the initial owner...it covers defects in the car

Again, I got mine used, private party. I took it to the dealer with the temp tag still on it () and they swapped both lights, mine had cracked all the way through and the cracks could be felt on the outside.
New or used should have nothing to do with it if it's truely a defect and it's not unreasonable to expect a car company to stand behind their product when you buy a used car.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:53 AM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
It is not likely a factory defect. Crazing has a proven correlation with external contributors that I listed above. So much in fact that GM has strict guidelines with dealerships that if they identify ANY evidence of a film installation on the lens cover they will not honor any warranty claim on a headlight component.
There are numerous cars out there that have this crazing problem... none of them having any film. GM is passing the buck off to the consumer and blaming a quality control issue on film. I have seen hundreds of different cars with film on them without any crazing issues. And it seems to be an issue with the 350Z as well. Poor quality....

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Spider Web Cracks

Old 11-13-2008, 01:19 AM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by talon90
That's a shame. The spider web cracking you see is a condition called crazing. These are hairline cracks of either the hard coating on the polycarbonate lens cover material or deeper and actually structural in the polycarbonate itself. This condition is generally caused by heat buildup in the lens cover and most commonly contributed to by having clear bra material installed. All clear bra material will not cause this. It can be caused by improper installation using a wetting solution that contains too much alcohol or by the film being too thick and trapping heat in the enclosure.
Paul, OP never said he had clear coat on his Len's. Only on his body.

I had one of my lenses craze and I never had a clear coat on them. Dealer fixed it under warranty. Unfortunately OP's Vette is a 2005 and probably out of warranty. Too bad, as they are crazy expensive.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:42 AM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by JJC5
I think that means he saw it before taking it home.
right, but he paid for the car and signed all the paperwork before even noticing the lights....if it was an issue he should have gotten it taken care of before buying the car....

If you read my post again, you might notice I said my initial thought was that the lens was a separate piece and would not be that expensive. If you read further, you will see I have never owned a vette before. I did look at the car before I bought it, simply misjudged the severity of the damage and it's related cost. I am sure YOU have never made a mistake, so I cannot expect you to understand. Also, I don't recall EVER mentioning it was the DEALER's fault, I simply wondered if it was a manufacturer's defect, if others had the same experience, and if it was covered under warranty. I will still try to make a warranty claim, thank God my local dealer has much better "people skills" than some people in this forum!
I wasn't responding to your post as I didn't even read it....it was a response to the OP....
Old 11-13-2008, 09:25 PM
pigglyo
7th Gear

Like I said they replaced one lens. As far as the other one and the fog light lenses, you don't notice the cracks and the chips unless you have the lights on, then you really notice it. Mybe I should have turned the lights on an looked before I bought it? But who does that. Next time I will. You would think they would check these cars out better before putting them up for sell. Besides the lenses, the rear hatch switch had to be replaced. I guess the car wasn't checked over very well. The car is stll under warranty, but they still refuse to fix it.

Quick Reply: Headlight Spider Web Cracks