C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Connecting The Battery Charger

Old 11-13-2008, 01:58 PM
GASCAR
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Connecting The Battery Charger

I just purchased a battery charger from Sears, the directions says to connect the negative clamp to the frame but the cord is so short the only place I can connect to is the negative post on the battery. Is this alright to do?

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:02 PM
z28flash
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In general, I have usually used the positive/negative posts on the battery with no problems, but even as in the use of jumper cables it is recommended you use a frame connection for the negative. Hopefully someone else will provide better information, but from a quick check on the web it seems the posts are fine.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:12 PM
GASCAR
Pro

That's what I thought, thanks.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:26 PM
dbradley
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a safety thing to cover their a**. It probably says, Connect the positive cable first, then connect the negative to the frame, then power up the charger. This order prevents a spark at the battery. If the battery was out gassing, it could explode with the spark. Just don't have the power on to the charger when you hook it up, you'll be OK. Later, if you buy a Battery Tender or such, the pigtail is long enough to put the 'connections' away from the battery.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:18 PM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

As the others said, it's generally fine to use the negative post as your ground, but it's not ideal.

This may be a dumb question, but are you able to pull apart the positive and negative wires to give you more "slack?" When my Deltran Battery Tender Plus was delivered (I also bought the extension cord) I had to pull apart the positive and negative wires, splitting the rubber between the two wires, in order to allow me to connect to the ground bolt on the engine block.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:23 PM
C6Longshot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are you connecting the charger directly to the battery?

It is my understanding that the proper way to charge the corvette is to attach the negative lead somewhere on the engine/frame, and connect the positive lead to the positive terminal post located in the underhood fuse box. At no point do you connect anything to the battery.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:36 PM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

Originally Posted by C6Longshot

It is my understanding that the proper way to charge the corvette is to attach the negative lead somewhere on the engine/frame, and connect the positive lead to the positive terminal post located in the underhood fuse box. At no point do you connect anything to the battery.
Unless I'm mistaken (and anything's possible ) the instructions that came with my Battery Tender Plus had me connecting positive lead to positive terminal on battery, and negative lead to bolt on engine block (for ground).
Old 11-13-2008, 04:10 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

My C6 came with remote terminals (both + and -) that are to be used when jump starting a dead battery. Would assume you would use these as well to hook up a battery charger and thus avoid touching the battery at all. Check you OM - the positive is near the fuse box and the negative is under the oil cap area on mine.

Would suggest use of these remotes a safer way to store the car. jmho
Old 11-13-2008, 04:36 PM
GASCAR
Pro

I am storing the car for the winter aand bought a Die Hard battery charger maintainer. It monitors and charges as needed. I did pull apart the wire some to extend it but the cable has a connection so that you can use other connections.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:57 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Longshot

that is how they show to do it on the DVD that came with my C6
Old 11-13-2008, 06:25 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello,

You never want a spark the battery terminal because you might cause an explosion.

Here's how to make it easy and safe.

1). Set the settings on the charger to the correct charge level.

2). Attach the Black and Red battery charger clips directly to the battery.

3). Plug in the charger.

To take charger off the cars battery.

1). Unplug charger

2). Take the battery charger clips off the battery.

This way you never have an arc anywhere near the battery.

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 11-13-2008, 08:55 PM
LarryMJones
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default charge through Lighter plug

Go to Radio Shack or an auto parts store and buy a lighter plug adapter. Connect it to your charger, positive is the center post on the plug. Verify with an ohmmeter to be sure.
Then you can charge your battery without opening your hood. Just plug into your lighter outlet. My Black and Decker charger came with the lighter plug adapter as well as alligator clips.
This is quick and easy and saves opening your hood to charge.
LJ
Old 11-13-2008, 09:28 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryMJones
Go to Radio Shack or an auto parts store and buy a lighter plug adapter. Connect it to your charger, positive is the center post on the plug. Verify with an ohmmeter to be sure.
Then you can charge your battery without opening your hood. Just plug into your lighter outlet. My Black and Decker charger came with the lighter plug adapter as well as alligator clips.
This is quick and easy and saves opening your hood to charge.
LJ
Yes, very good idea! Only caution is that you can only put about 20 amps back through the lighter without blowing the fuse, so if the battery is very dead, and you have a good sized charger, this might not work. For a maintainer type though, this is THE ticket...keep the hood closed.

Get notified of new replies

To Connecting The Battery Charger

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Connecting The Battery Charger