C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose spark plug wire

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 05:20 PM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Loose spark plug wire

I know this is in the FAQ but the information is very basic there, without mentioning an actual fix. Anyway, my car is 3 weeks old with 251 miles and all of a sudden one day it ran rough, check engine light came on, and service traction system message on dic appeared. Plugged in my scanner and saw cylinder 3 misfire. Popped the hood, removed the fuel rail cover, and sure enough the wire was off the coil. I put it back on but it didn't click and seemed kind of loose. I pulled off cylinder 5's wire and saw the difference. If you look at the metal terminal inside the boot there is a small metal band around the terminal basically making it two layers thick. The wire that fell off didn't have this. I found it farther down in the boot broken in half. I've seen several posts of people with low mileage cars with loose plug wires and dealers simply sliding them back on. Just want to make everyone aware that simply sliding back on a loose wire which might have a broken terminal is not fixing the real problem. If you care to read on I'll tell you about the warranty service that I am not impressed with. I went to my local dealer with the broken wire, the VIN, and the mileage. First question, did you buy the car here? Does it matter? It turns out that this was the first dealer I went to but the salesman had the personality of a brick and they had nothing in stock I wanted anyway. Back to the story, he absolutely refused to replace the wire without the car being there. I refused to drive the car on 7 cylinders. He said I would have to have the car flat bedded there! At that point I'd prefer to just buy a wire rather than risk the car getting damaged being put on and off a flatbed. Well, they didn't have the wire in stock anyway. I left. Went to another dealer and got the same story, after the same question if I bought it there. Happens to be the second dealer I went to when shopping where the salesman told me I couldn't get the options I wanted on that trim level even though you could because I eventually did elsewhere. There I spoke to the service manager and when he realized I would replace the wire myself he agreed to do it without the car there. All they need the car there for is the VIN and mileage. Unless GM pays them an hour labor to do five minutes of warranty work. Do they really think I'm wasting my time driving around trying to scam them out of a single plug wire? Anyway, they didn't have the wire either so they ordered it. I got it a few days later, meanwhile I already put in a set of MSD wires which fit perfectly. Sorry for the long rant, but I thought it should be said to make others aware.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:23 PM
NEV3R L8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Um, what?

JK, glad you got it fixed.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:32 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

can you imagin the bedlam if they gave parts away to everyone who walked in with a part in there hand...i mean think about it...maybe the dealer where ya bought it and the sales person knew ya
Old 11-13-2008, 09:42 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by patton
can you imagin the bedlam if they gave parts away to everyone who walked in with a part in there hand...i mean think about it...maybe the dealer where ya bought it and the sales person knew ya
But I'm glad you got it fixed.....the MSD wires sound interesting to me also!
Old 11-13-2008, 09:44 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

My car had a skip tech could not find it. Let the car sit overnight went out and started looking and checking wiring and plug wires #8 fell of when I touched it put it back on and made sure it clipped on good end of story.
z51vett

Get notified of new replies

To Loose spark plug wire

Quick Reply: Loose spark plug wire