C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Pintobay
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Track Experience

I have been meaning to write for ages and have just not taken the time. This year I did something I have always thought about doing - a HPDE - a track day. I did one in May at Watkins Glen with the Porsche Club and was hooked, one in August at BeaverRun near Pittsburg with the Porsche Club and another in October at Watkins Glen with the Audi Club North America. All I can say is - WOW. This is a pretty inexpensive way to learn about your car, learn about your self and experience the "awesome" capabilities of the stock Corvette. I have a 2006, Z51, 6 spd and the only modification is MagnaFlow exhausts which I did right after I got the car.

Don't be agfraid that you won't know anything or others will be much more experienced. At each event I went to there were lots of first timers or relatively new drivers. You are always put in a class based on your experience level. You have your own instructor in the car with you each time out and there is mandatory classroom education, which by the way is excellent. In a way, it's very humbling, especially if you thought you were already a great driver. There is absolutely no way you can experience the capabilites of the Corvette (or any car) without taking it on a race track and learning how to drive properly.

I would never have believed that I would be driving in the rain at 70 MPH and feel comfortable or that on a dry track I'd be running flat out at 140and then standing on the brakes to make a turn at 80-90 MPH. With each time on the track you gain confidence and comfort in how your car handles. You learn about the dynamics of the car, the surfaces, temperature differences, tire pressures, etc., etc. And in the cases of the 2 day events I went to, you get to spend the weekend with a group of car nuts like yourself.

As quickly as you are impressed with your Corvette, you are reminded that there are lots of other very impressive cars. To each his own - all coming together to learn in their own car. Of course many of the Porsches are impressive, especially the GT3. At the Audi event there were several R8s and they were awesome. The car that most surprised me at the Audi event was the Audi S5. This car is as fast as it is beautiful. It was humbling to be on the track in the rain with that car. With all wheel drive it just flew around Watkins Glen - even in pouring rain. There are lots of imprsssive BMWs that show up at these. But, when you see a Subaru WRX that's been tweeked a little, it's also a reminder that almost any car can be made to go fast or go around truns flat out.

I have seen the following cars at theses events - All Porsches, BMWs and Audis - including wagons (believe it), Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, Mini Cooper, Fearri, lots of classics - really just about anything you can think of. At Watkins Glen in October, there was a guy there with a brand new Ford Fusion and it was a Hertz Rental Car! Sound familiar. Anyone over 55 knew exactly what that was all about.

Anyway, spend this winter looking for a track with in a few hours and make plans ahead of time to go out and experience this. I have gone to each event with friends who have also recently discovered this amazing weekend activity. My friend's instrucutor at our first event, a Doctor from Michigan, said that going to track events is one step below being a crack addict - now I understand. Enjoy!!!

Here are a few pictures of my escapades. If you want to see hundreds more of what it's like - go to Track Time Photos - Club (Porsche Club of Ameica/PCA) Track (Watkins Glen) Date (May 17 & 18), Run Group (D) or to the October event at Club (Audi Club North America) Track (Watkins Glen) Date (October 25 & 26) Run Group (Yellow). These guys come to a lot of track events and take pictures which then are available to purchase. Check out the October 25th pictures of us running in a full blown rain storm.

I'm sorry this was so long but I hope I have provided some insight into this opportunity that's just around the corner for you.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice write-up! I haven't yet run by 2009 coupe on the track yet, but I'm planning to next year. I did run my 2002 coupe on the track a few times. I agree its a lot of fun and the only safe way to experience the car at its limit.

- Mark
Old 11-15-2008, 09:37 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I wish I could track mine.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:42 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Vietnam Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

That is wicked awesome! Sounds like great fun! Thanks for the post!
Old 11-15-2008, 10:07 PM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write-up. Do you ever see convertibles and if so do they have rollbars?
Old 11-15-2008, 10:13 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Great write-up! I also did my first two HPDEs this year, and it was a blast! You did a very nice job of capturing the "spirit" of the events.

I did not see a mention of your age, but by the picture, you appear to be 40ish (my apologies if I am mistaken). My point being that, at 56, it was still not too late to participate (cool, it rhymes!) I look forward to doing my own "2009 Z06-T HPDE Tour", which will include events at every major track within 500 miles of my home.

So, for you guys who have not been "bitten" by the HPDE experience, I can guarantee that you will love it.... so don't put it off!!!

My Putnam Park, IN event:
Old 11-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Just Buy It
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Sounds great. How much was the Watkins Glen day?
Old 11-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Good post! I couldn't agree with you more. Someone mentioned age...hey at 56 you're just a kid. I met a 74 year old C6 owner at the track one day. He was taking his driver's orientation course and he was out there doin' it! Don't let age discourage you. I know some 'older' guys that flat haul *** but the important thing isn't how fast you are...what's important is you're out there learning...improving your driving skills, enjoying your car and having fun. The speed comes with practice.

Originally Posted by johnodrake
I'm sure you have your reasons but with the great mods you've done to your car, I feel you'd have a blast using its power and handling capabilities on a track. I'll keep a good thought.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice write-up. NVR2L8 is correct about being "bitten" by the HPDE. I tracked my 07 coupe for the 1st time this year. Now I'm hooked.It's the only way to truely experience what a performance car the Corvette is. NJ Motorsport Park just opened this year. They have 2 awesome road courses. Bad news is that the track is 20 minutes from my house. Guess where I will be spending a lot of time next year.

Last edited by Marc V.; 11-16-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Pintobay
Racer

I'll answer a few questions that have been asked - I am 55 so I appreciate the estimate putting me at 40ish.

There are people attending these from 20s to their 70's. My instructor this last time was 67 and just started going to track events 3 years ago and was bitten by the bug so much that he told me he had done 37track days in 2008. He's now an instructor and loves it. In some events, the cost is free to instructors so they get a lot of free seat time. I still can't quite grasp how these guys climb into a car with a complete stranger and go out on the track with them. But without them no one could get started.

The cost for the weekend events has been $325 - $395 for a 2 day event. Compare this to some of the "driving schools" and I think you will quickly see a huge difference. And, you get to use your own car. Of course you have to factor in the gas to get there, over night accomodations and eating. I think it worked out to about $600 but I shared a room with a friend.

You do need to purchase a good helmet, although some events have them to rent for the weekend.

You can't run a convertible unless it has a roll bar. I find it interesting that some of the cars like Audi TT and Porsche Boxsters that have the factory small roll bars are Ok. I have seen lots of guys whose heads are above those factory roll bars so go figfure.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:00 AM
MurphMan2
Pro

Interesting post. I would like to do this and looked up a couple of tracks in the Chicagoland area. I'll keep an eye on the regional listings next year for a track day.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:26 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Me, too, John! But, this was a really good writeup, and I'm sure it helped at least some lean toward doing it.

Wayne O: to ans. the question, John has a convertible, as do I.

Last edited by AORoads; 11-16-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:32 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Glad you had a great time. just be aware that if the bug bites it can be very expensive. just ask me how I know.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:11 AM
tim87tr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default questions

Pintobay, after running a few HPDEs in my Cobra, I would like to get some more technical information for my C6 to run next year. So I'm familiar with some basics on rotors, brake pads, fluids, etc., but need some details on the C6. I have an 05 with Z51 MN6 also.

1. Did you run the stock rotors and pads? I have an extra set of each and thought if I was smart about how I ran, they could survive.

2. If not using stock rotors and pads, what do you use? I use Carbotech on my Cobra and really like the XP10 and 8.

3. Do you have vented backing plates or vent extensions for the front rotors, and if so which ones to buy? I think these really help on rotor temps.

4. What handling mode do you run your car in and have you tried it with traction and active handling both off?

5. What tires do you run? I just bought some Kumho SPTs so I'm hoping they give me the feedback my Kumho MX on the Cobra provide. At this point I'm street tire only. I discovered the stock F1 runflat tire did not provide hardly any feedback.

Thanks for any advice, I just want to be prepared.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Pintobay
Racer

tim87tr

Good questions - I think my answers will point out that to start, you don't have to do anyhting except show up with your car. As you get more into it, I am sure there are lots of things to do. So far (note) I have not done anything except use racing brake fluid. Super Blue Racing fluid - DOT 4.

Brake fluid is one of the most imprtant things. It should really be flushed before each event. This allows any moisture to be removed. "If" you have moisture in the lines and then run, you will heat it up, evaportate the moisture and then have air pockets which result in Mushy brakes - not cool at 100 MPH. So, be very attentive to this aspect of preparation. Each event I went to sent a tech list ahead of time that I needed to have my mechanic do - and sign off on.

I have been running the stock brakes - and I know this is one of the things that can make a big difference. Better brakes make it so that you can drive faster and farther into turns beforee braking and still stop the car in time to make the turns. However, peformance brake pads can "squeal" which is normal. So, unless you are putting on for each event and then taking off afterwards, you'll have to accept that noise factor for your pleasure driving. Frankly there are lots of Mfgs. to choose from - DRM (Doug Rippe Motorsports) knows a lot about Corvettes. They actually make some that are "supposed" to be for both Street and track. Better than stock but not as aggressive as pure track brakes.

My Z51 has the cross drilled rotors. I have been told to keep an eye on them, that they can crack between holes if used too hard. Slotted brake rotors are supposed to be better.

Some people swear by installing stainless steel brake lines and other say it's just hype. If you flush your lines before each event you should be fine.

I investigated (at length) adding the air ducts for the front brakes. On my car, I have plastic ducts that direct the air right on the rear brakes but the front just blows it by the back of the brake. The Z06 has plastic ones that directs to the back of the front brakes - much more cooling. DRM makes a kit for the standard C6 but they warned me that for installation it needs to be exactly right and they recommend jacking the car on the A arms. I have not done this. I am actually surprised that GM hasn't made this standard on the base C6. It just seems so logical and why put it on the back and not the front?

I am still running the stock Goodyear Super Car tires. When I replace them I will probabaly go to the Michelin Pilots. Lots of threads on this forum about tires. What I have learned thus far is that when you actually get really serious and want track tires, going to a slick made by Hoosier or the likes is the big step. It gives the car much more grip but is also less forgiving when you cross the line between grip and sliding. Also, you either have to have the tires on and trailer it to events or somehow take tires with you. I have seen guys that have 4 Hoosiers stuffed in their Vettes and then jack them up at the track and intsall them for the weekend. I'm not at that point.

I have only run with the traction control turned on. My first instructor really wanted me to turn it off to feel the difference but I was too intimadated by that thought. Another instructor said that while you are learning everyone should use this technology to make sure they don't make mistakes. However, some classroom instructors say that everyone should learn to drive without it first, then use it. I have had another Corvette guy tell me that it's a lot more fun with it off and the car is actually a little bit quicker because the system is not holding you back as you are accelerating out of turns. Lots of opinions on this. I think it's an individual decision. This car is my "special car" and I am quite Ok with driving it with the TC turned on - especially if that makes sure I get home with no mishaps.

You will earn very quickly that tires and brakes are the most important things. Guys with slower cars can go faster into turns if they have bigger, better brakes and you'd be surprised how much of a difference that makes when you are running at top speed.

These evemts are really not about how fast you can go (especially at first). The ones we have gone to are very, very big on safety and most instructors will really press you to learn the correct line around the track and smoothness in and out of turns - not quick moves. You will be shocked at how quickly you progress with each time out. Most times on the track are 30-45 minutes and it goes by in a flash because it's very intense. You are concentrating on the lines on the track, entry and exit points of turns, smooth shifting and acceleration, beginning to brake at the correct spot, being aware of the other cars in front of you and behind yiou, the flag men around the track, etc, etc, Get it? Loking down at your tach or speedometer is not recommended. A second to glance down and you've gone 100 feet.

Hope this helps as you are thinking about doing this with a C6.

Here is a shot of my car going thru tech at Watkins Glen.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:45 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O

I'm sure you have your reasons but with the great mods you've done to your car, I feel you'd have a blast using its power and handling capabilities on a track. I'll keep a good thought.
My reasons are actually quite simple. I have a vert and no roll bar. The event organizers that I have seen won't let me participate in my current state. I have thought of getting a track car.....

Get notified of new replies

To Track Experience

Old 11-16-2008, 02:50 PM
tim87tr
Instructor

Thanks for the info, good to hear about the stock Z51 rotors and pads surviving well at HPDE because I found a second set for a good price. And I didn't want to add the front rotor ducting unless necessary due to the fitment issues I've heard about also. I think the C6 will have an advantage on being a little easier on the braking system due to the lower weight.

I've done 4 events with the Cobra, but it is about 450 lbs heavier and a much different car than the C6, and I didn't want to assume any characteristics of one car applying to the other without asking. I've been at putnam park a couple times as that is my home track 70 miles east of me, and once at Gingerman in south haven, MI and once at Hallett, OK.

That sounds like a good idea to start with traction control on, and I may turn it off at some point and just have the active handling, which I know can still help correct a car out of shape.

I've been running Motul 600 for the Cobra so may use it for the C6 or maybe one of the other products that sponsors the track event group.

I know the C6 will fare well on the track because of how well the car handles so I'm looking forward to Spring. And besides the brake fluid I should be ready to go with my stock pads and rotors which is a nice bonus on cost for now.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Pintobay
Racer

Tim - When you say "Cobra" do you mean kit car Shelby or are you tracking a Mustang?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:53 PM
tim87tr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pintobay
Tim - When you say "Cobra" do you mean kit car Shelby or are you tracking a Mustang?
03 Cobra, stock supercharger. Ran first couple HPDEs on stock pulley, last couple on an upper pulley that I have a track tune I flash to, lower/richer A/F and down 20hp. I've ran HPDE against the kit Cobras, they are neat and have some pics and one video on my webpage www.myspace.com/tim87tr

I doubt after I run the C6 next spring I will do as much with the Cobra on HPDE. Both cars about 450 rwhp, C6 has H/C/I.

Last edited by tim87tr; 11-16-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Track Experience