C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 Package

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:50 PM
C6Sam
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z51 Package

What are the advantages to ordering the Z51 Package? Is it worth it?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:55 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

As you try to learn about the various suspension packages and options available on the car. Make sure you have a look at the forum search engine. There is a lot of information in the archives which will be of assistance to you. There have been literally hundreds of threads comparing the Z51 to the F55 to the base suspension. Little actually that we could add in this thread over what has all ready been discussed. What are your plans for the car, Autocross, Road racing? Daily driver, Weekend tourer, All of the above? Have you test driven either of the suspension choices to see how you like the feel of each of them? These are the two most important things to discuss first.

Here are a few threads from a quick search to get your research started on the Z51.

Paul

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=Z51+Vs.+F55

Old 12-01-2008, 06:56 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Z51 Performance Handling Package
Includes power steering cooler, engine oil cooler, transmission oil cooler, stiffer springs and stabilizer bars, upgraded shock absorbers, larger brakes with cross-drilled rotors, upgraded tires and Z51 specific manual transmission. Wow, that's alot of stuff. These cars should come with special badges.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:58 PM
MOGOINS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
Includes power steering cooler, engine oil cooler, transmission oil cooler, stiffer springs and stabilizer bars, upgraded shock absorbers, larger brakes with cross-drilled rotors, upgraded tires and Z51 specific manual transmission. Wow, that's alot of stuff. These cars should come with special badges.
Originally Posted by MOGOINS

Badges are the best part of the Z51 package.... It does seem rather strange that the badges aren't actually included IN the package.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:32 PM
C6Sam
Cruising

thanks for your help.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:49 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to drive the different optioned cars, Z51, F55 and the base suspension. It is hard for us to recommend as all our driving needs are different. For instance, I have a Z51 optioned car but it is not a daily driver, if the car was going to be a daily driver I would have opted for the base or the F55 as the Z51 suspension is stiff.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:04 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 12-01-2008, 08:19 PM
TCKT B8
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '11

:beatdeadh orse:
Old 12-01-2008, 09:40 PM
mstil07
Instructor

Badges!!!! We don't need no stinking BADGES!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Brutus 08 Coupe
Racer

I see you just joined the forum in Nov. Welcome!! This question has been asked alot and the answers vary...alot. Do a search for plenty of opinions. Then go test drive both suspensions and you'll have your answer. Either way, it's still a Vette.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:47 PM
60av8tor
Racer

In a word, yes.
My Z51 is a daily driver and I LOVE it. VERY tossable, especially with non runcraps on the wheels.

If you have a glass azz, though, go with the softer suspension/my butt aches, F55 option
The following users liked this post:
HammerheadTed (07-13-2016)
Old 12-01-2008, 10:55 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Eh? What's that again? The F55 option offers state of the art high tech suspension AND those nifty swiss cheese rotors and costs considerably more than the Z51 option. Should it have a special badge too? Or does it deserve a special badge more than the Z51 option?

For sheer price I think 4LT owners should get big flashy badges...after all, they pay (at list) as much as F55 and Z51 combined-or more.

IMO the simple reason that the Z51 package is an option and NOT a model is that there are absolutely no differences in the engine. Not one itty bitty bit more hp no way no how. Ordering the NPP custom exhaust gets you 6 hp more than base. Should NPP get a special badge since it is the only option that adds ( or claims to add ) additional hp?

I think what the C6 needs is a special "option plaque" similar to military style awards and service badges. Each option would have a tiny sticker maybe an inch square....these would all be applied inside the plaque on sides and back of the car. The more little stickers the better the car.

But, as I've said for a long time, the badge I want is "2LTpps"

The "pps" stands for "power passenger seat". Now, it's a proven fact that the exact positioning of the passenger seat, possible only with the power feature, is critical to centering the center of gravity thus causing the car to do .0012678% better on the skid plate than cars with only manual passenger seats.

Also, pps equipped C6s have the same horsepower as Z51 optioned C6s.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:15 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
Eh? What's that again? The F55 option offers state of the art high tech suspension AND those nifty swiss cheese rotors and costs considerably more than the Z51 option. Should it have a special badge too? Or does it deserve a special badge more than the Z51 option?

For sheer price I think 4LT owners should get big flashy badges...additional hp?
I'd appreciate if you could do me a favor... I'm not "UP" on my badge identification but I'd love to have a "badge" for my La Mans Blue C6

Maybe some people don't know exactly what color my car is.. but with the La Mans Blue Badge everything will be ok
Old 12-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by C6Sam
Badges
Old 12-01-2008, 11:25 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6

For sheer price I think 4LT owners should get big flashy badges...after all, they pay (at list) as much as F55 and Z51 combined-or more.

IMO the simple reason that the Z51 package is an option and NOT a model is that there are absolutely no differences in the engine. Not one itty bitty bit more hp no way no how. Ordering the NPP custom exhaust gets you 6 hp more than base. Should NPP get a special badge since it is the only option that adds ( or claims to add ) additional hp?

I think what the C6 needs is a special "option plaque" similar to military style awards and service badges. Each option would have a tiny sticker maybe an inch square....these would all be applied inside the plaque on sides and back of the car. The more little stickers the better the car.

But, as I've said for a long time, the badge I want is "2LTpps"

The "pps" stands for "power passenger seat". Now, it's a proven fact that the exact positioning of the passenger seat, possible only with the power feature, is critical to centering the center of gravity thus causing the car to do .0012678% better on the skid plate than cars with only manual passenger seats.

this what i hate about posters like you. misrepresentation of the facts that will confuse everyone now. allow me to state the real and TRUE facts. actually .00126789% better on the skid plate. please stand corrected, sir.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:26 PM
CENT Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C6Sam
Welcome and the info in the second post will shed a lot of light on the subject, but you really need to drive both configurations to see which one (if any) is for you.

Just be glad you didn't ask whether an auto or manual transmission is better.

Good luck with your decision.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 Package

Old 12-01-2008, 11:52 PM
abarranch
Advanced

love my z51!
Old 12-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Deep Silver C6 Z51
Burning Brakes

If you get just one option, make it the Z51 package.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:08 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Three things to add into your decision.

Ask what the upgrades are from base for the F55 option, so you'll have a fair comparison.

If you get the A6 it'll have a 2.73 gear standard on the Z51 and option on the others.

Keep in mind that the upgraded tires are soft compounds and don't last long. Owners generally report around 10-12K miles and higher replacement costs.

Quick Reply: Z51 Package