C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I be concernced about "WD1 - PILOT VEHICLE"

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:35 PM
No-Swet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I be concernced about "WD1 - PILOT VEHICLE"

I've been looking for a used '08 Corvette for months now. I found a good one that has a build date of 05/07/2007. Must have been one of the first '08 models, judging by the WD1 - PILOT VEHICLE code on the build sheet. Does anybody know of any problems with these early vehicles, or are they just like any other '08?
Old 01-09-2009, 01:41 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Nice find on that PILOT VEHICLE!!Should be the same though.Check the options against newer ones and see if there's any difference.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:58 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

I really wouldn't be "concerned". As you suspected a WD1 is basically an early build pre-production car. It is assembled on the line and is used to develop or enhance the process for the next model year build. It is going to be just the same interms of features as any other 2008 car.

The car wasn't likely flogged nor would it have been used by anyone other than a GM employee for the time that it was in service unless anyone bought it before you. Frankly, I'd have more concern for what ever mileage was put on by the previous owner if there was one.

As little insight for you:

RPO WD1: WD1 is the IDENTIFICATION CODE FOR A FACTORY PILOT VEHICLE, for the Next Model Year. Example: If the factory was building 2007's and a "RPO WDO" & "RPO WD1" was going to be built, it would be a 2008 Model and would have a 2008 VIN Plate attached to it. Of course this would be a EARLY MODEL 2008 C6, with a build date in the middle of the 2007 Production time line, and a JOB# for the current 2008 C6 Model Production.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:33 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Probably was a "Fast Feedback" (FFB) car internal to GM, what's the mileage?

The car before being auctioned to your dealer (ask them how long they have had it they should know) was updated to the latest running production software and hardware (at that time).

So while the build date is early CY 2007, the parts actually may be from mid-year (early CY 2008) depending on the time it was sold to the dealer.

This is done because there could still be software bugs in those cars after they are built that get fixed before serial production, and since you can't count that each FFB car has been updated they "clean point" them before auction.

I actually spend my day updating such FFB cars for my company who works with Chrysler.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:34 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think with the economy the way it is, if there is any concern about buying this particular vehicle you should be able to find a good deal on another one that's not a 'pilot build'. It's a buyers market
Old 01-09-2009, 02:36 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

No idea what to tell you. But since production didn't start on the '08s until very late June, I wonder about this car. It's definitely a pre-production car. Maybe someone else will comment on it.

Note: I guess they already did, above.:o
Old 01-09-2009, 03:11 PM
redzr1
Instructor

Pilots are built with production approved parts and probably was overlooked much closer when it was built than typical production cars. I wouildn't be concerned about it if the mileage was reasonable. For those that have posted they would move onto another 2008, would you pass up on a "Pilot" 2009 ZR1?
Old 01-09-2009, 03:16 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by TheTrot
Probably was a "Fast Feedback" (FFB) car internal to GM, what's the mileage?

The car before being auctioned to your dealer (ask them how long they have had it they should know) was updated to the latest running production software and hardware (at that time).

So while the build date is early CY 2007, the parts actually may be from mid-year (early CY 2008) depending on the time it was sold to the dealer.

This is done because there could still be software bugs in those cars after they are built that get fixed before serial production, and since you can't count that each FFB car has been updated they "clean point" them before auction.

I actually spend my day updating such FFB cars for my company who works with Chrysler.
I don't think I agree with this being a FFB car. The WD1 cars (for GM anyway) should be past that stage. All of the parts on this car should be 2008 parts. These cars come after the WD0 cars and prior to the validation build cars.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:16 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by redzr1
Pilots are built with production approved parts and probably was overlooked much closer when it was built than typical production cars. I wouildn't be concerned about it if the mileage was reasonable. For those that have posted they would move onto another 2008, would you pass up on a "Pilot" 2009 ZR1?
I'm not sure if this is a one-to-one, but Chev puts out some Z06s pre-production and then when they call them back, they destroy them. One was at the all Chev show in Carlisle (early June or so?) back before the Z was introduced.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:48 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by redzr1
Like anything else - it would come down to price, but typically the first year of a new vehicle intro (or of significant changes) have their share of problems. And this vehicle is pre-production of a model year with significant changes.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:14 PM
No-Swet
Intermediate

Thanks for all responses so far.
It's a fully loaded 4LT 6A coupe with only 3200 miles on it. Asking price is $43,000.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:16 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust Talon90 on this one - he knows his stuff...
Old 01-09-2009, 04:24 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Thanks for all responses so far.
It's a fully loaded 4LT 6A coupe with only 3200 miles on it. Asking price is $43,000.
Offer them 38 and see what happens.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:07 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
I don't think I agree with this being a FFB car. The WD1 cars (for GM anyway) should be past that stage. All of the parts on this car should be 2008 parts. These cars come after the WD0 cars and prior to the validation build cars.
Hmm, why build them then?

Anything that is a pilot doesn't contain serial production parts. Even the earliest builds (prototype production) contain "2008" or whatever year parts. They may not contain final revision of the parts, but most people would be suprised at the number or running changes that happen in a model year (the first serial production car is not identical ever to the last serial production car in a given model year).

The purpose of pilots is not only to test the in plant process but also to produce vehicles to debug. Anything that isn't serial production has a purpose, either marketing, fast feedback, specific teams (powertrain, electronics, etc). No car built before serial production is built for giggles. The sellable ones are built so late in the process they typically are used for so called "finishing touches" to the customer experience, which is why I said fast feedback, executives are complainers and make excellent mock customers.

The part I work on went thru 11 changes during 2009 development and production (this was our first model year), 3 of those are running production changes (after initial serial production), and 2 of them are between the final pre-production (S2) and serial production cars.

So all the pre-productions in our case had to be updated to at least the original serial production level (they actually got updated to one version newer that that). These things are not unique to us as a supplier, or to Chrysler. GM does the same stuff. Changes are fluid and continuous.

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 01-09-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:52 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by TheTrot
Hmm, why build them then?

Anything that is a pilot doesn't contain serial production parts. Even the earliest builds (prototype production) contain "2008" or whatever year parts. They may not contain final revision of the parts, but most people would be surprised at the number or running changes that happen in a model year (the first serial production car is not identical ever to the last serial production car in a given model year).

The purpose of pilots is not only to test the in plant process but also to produce vehicles to debug. Anything that isn't serial production has a purpose, either marketing, fast feedback, specific teams (powertrain, electronics, etc). No car built before serial production is built for giggles. The salable ones are built so late in the process they typically are used for so called "finishing touches" to the customer experience, which is why I said fast feedback, executives are complainers and make excellent mock customers.

The part I work on went thru 11 changes during 2009 development and production (this was our first model year), 3 of those are running production changes (after initial serial production), and 2 of them are between the final pre-production (S2) and serial production cars.

So all the pre-productions in our case had to be updated to at least the original serial production level (they actually got updated to one version newer that that). These things are not unique to us as a supplier, or to Chrysler. GM does the same stuff. Changes are fluid and continuous.
We're on the same page. I understand. I also come from automotive supply chain engineering. I worked on parts for GM and GM powertrain. This car was built just one month before the 2008 production started. It also has a 2008 production VIN. I completely agree that there are always running changes that most will never know about. The development cycle for the Corvette sometimes runs a little different than new platform builds. For major changes they will run mule cars and EX builds long before this one would have made it down the line. These cars will have prior year VIN or experimental VIN and can't be retailed. The car in question in the thread likely has PPAP parts on it of course suppliers are more than capable of their own "creativity" It is also not uncommon for GM to prototype individual parts and or systems two to three model years ahead of a planned implementation. They will also pilot these vehicles but they will not be retailed. They may end up as show circuit cars but most end up disassembled or destroyed depending upon what was on it and what it was used for. These cars would be mongrels with mixed mode parts and systems from various planned model years including the current.

I am not saying that this car was identical to the first built 2007 when it came off the line. We both agree that even the last 2007 built is not identical to the first one that came off the line.

The question was asked if the OP should be concerned about a WD1 vehicle and my answer is no, he need not be concerned. This car will come with the same warranty as any other 2008 car. It was not a flogged ZHZ rental, it will have likely have been driven by an engineer, taken home, taken away for the weekend and evaluated. When done it will be R&R'd and brought up to standards and allowed for sale or retained for long term testing and evaluation.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:10 PM
vettecop1125
Le Mans Master

CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Just curious what the VIN number is?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:13 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Talon90 - any chance that a WD1 has "one of a kind" parts that were utlimately changed in production? Just curious based on your posts.

dan

Get notified of new replies

To Should I be concernced about "WD1 - PILOT VEHICLE"

Old 01-09-2009, 08:23 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by dpigguy
Talon90 - any chance that a WD1 has "one of a kind" parts that were utlimately changed in production? Just curious based on your posts.

dan
Dan,

Really slim. While It could have a part(s) that are dimensionally different from the final buildout. Typically by this build the parts should be on production or near production tooling and processes and be fully validated. Anything that could have been one off or rare would have likely happened in an earlier build. Anything that did make it this far would (should) have been removed prior to the car being allowed for sale.

Paul
Old 01-09-2009, 09:04 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
Dan,

Really slim. While It could have a part(s) that are dimensionally different from the final buildout. Typically by this build the parts should be on production or near production tooling and processes and be fully validated. Anything that could have been one off or rare would have likely happened in an earlier build. Anything that did make it this far would (should) have been removed prior to the car being allowed for sale.

Paul
Old 01-09-2009, 11:20 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Don't worry about it...I have one of the first C5s built from October, 1996. VIN is a first day of production pilot build, #100098. The car was driven by GM execs for a few months then put up for sale at a local Michigan dealer. Over time I have come to realize it was pampered by Engineering, for example, no rear end leaks like so many of the later production vehicles. Buy the car and enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Should I be concernced about "WD1 - PILOT VEHICLE"