C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NAV Disc Info - No - Not the same ol' stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:47 PM
MADinAK
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14

Default NAV Disc Info - No - Not the same ol' stuff

I live in Alaska. The NAV disc (Ver. 3) that came with my 07' Vette did not include Alaska. Version 4 comes out and sure enough it does not include Alaska. Version 5 is shipping but I have no idea if it includes Alaska or not nor do I even care. I figured I was just screwed that I bought navigation and it won't work in Alaska.

Last summer, my daughter bought a new Tahoe and while checking it out and giving all the necessary oohhs and aahhs I noticed she had navigation. I ejected the disc and went to the Vette. Sure enough, works like a charm. I made a copy "for testing purposes only" and have used (I mean tested) it ever since.

This post isn't about users in Alaska although it will help them. It is for everyone. There are discs out there to be had cheaper than buying new from GM. Maybe you know someone with a Tahoe or other GM vehicle. If you can pick up one for the Vette here cheap then cool. But, there are others that may work in your system. Just a FYI.

GM can sue my azz but why in he11 would they put a NAV system in a car sold to Alaska when they know the NAV isn't going to work? They could have at least offered a disc that worked! My car came with XM and they automatically did a $200 credit on the window sticker because they knew it wouldn't work up here. They should have done the same for the NAV or at least provided a disc that worked.

In no way am I suggesting you rip off GM. I just wanted to provide an alternative to those looking for replacement discs for their Vettes.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Cliff Notes:
NAV Discs for other GM vehicles may work in the Vette.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Default Nav DVD Ripoff

I don't think you're going to get any flack on this forum or any other forum, the automotive companies are ripping off thier customers when it come to Nav system support for DVD updates. I've owned 3 vehicles with nav systems (all were by different companies), and it costs around $200 for updates from each. I bought my '05 Vette in late '05 and the nav DVD that came with it (Version 1.0) was already out of date.

I realize that it cost the manufacturers of the nav systems to update their maps, but $200 for an update, that's ridiculous. They sale their systems for more than 48" plasma TV cost, and then sale their DVD updates for as much, if not more, than many of today's portable nav systems. $35 for updates would more than pay for their manufacturing cost and they would still make a profit. I also own a Garmin dash mount unit, I feel that their updates are on the high side too, but at least their's only cost around $75.

What's fair and what's legal are often not the same.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Onyasix
I don't think you're going to get any flack on this forum or any other forum, the automotive companies are ripping off thier customers when it come to Nav system support for DVD updates. I've owned 3 vehicles with nav systems (all were by different companies), and it costs around $200 for updates from each. I bought my '05 Vette in late '05 and the nav DVD that came with it (Version 1.0) was already out of date.

I realize that it cost the manufacturers of the nav systems to update their maps, but $200 for an update, that's ridiculous. They sale their systems for more than 48" plasma TV cost, and then sale their DVD updates for as much, if not more, than many of today's portable nav systems. $35 for updates would more than pay for their manufacturing cost and they would still make a profit. I also own a Garmin dash mount unit, I feel that their updates are on the high side too, but at least their's only cost around $75.

What's fair and what's legal are often not the same.
Thats why I have a TOMTOM...Always FREE UPdates and 10X better than Garmin IMO!
Old 01-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

FWIW, the nav disc fom my wife's 2005 Toyota works in my 2006 Corvette, and sometimes produces smarter routings even though they both have identical roads in this area.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:41 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Also FWIW, the Nav disc doesn't include Hawaii either so you are far from alone.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:11 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Ohhhhhhhh.........thats right.......Alaska and Hawaii are STATES now......things are just happening so fast these days! We need to get that NAV system updated to reflect this.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:33 PM
MADinAK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
FWIW, the nav disc fom my wife's 2005 Toyota works in my 2006 Corvette, and sometimes produces smarter routings even though they both have identical roads in this area.
Cool. Another option to check out for those wanting an upgrade or in a state not included on the disc.

Originally Posted by talon90
Also FWIW, the Nav disc doesn't include Hawaii either so you are far from alone.
Yep. I forgot to mention that. I wonder how many Vettes were sold in HI with NAV?

Originally Posted by cclive
Ohhhhhhhh.........thats right.......Alaska and Hawaii are STATES now......things are just happening so fast these days! We need to get that NAV system updated to reflect this.
AK celebrated 50 years of statehood this week.

I'm expecting my version 5 disc soon as I see they are starting to ship. I'd be very surprised to see AK or HI on the disc. Maybe someone who has received theirs already can answer the question.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:39 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Seems odd that a Dealership in Alaska would sell a car with NAV and the NAV doesn't include Alaska. That's a serious glitch in the system that GM might want to take a look at.
You would think that they wouldn't offer the NAV option in Alaska if they can't get it to work in the cars they sell there.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Wait a Minute isn't there like 1 road in Alaska?

I Don't see a problem.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Firemanmfd
Cruising

Default Nav disc

It would be nice if everyone would post the item numbers of all nav discs that work.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:04 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JVM225
Seems odd that a Dealership in Alaska would sell a car with NAV and the NAV doesn't include Alaska. That's a serious glitch in the system that GM might want to take a look at.
You would think that they wouldn't offer the NAV option in Alaska if they can't get it to work in the cars they sell there.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Eppieguy
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Just a FYI My Tahoe disk does not work in my father 05 C6, nor does his work in my Tahoe.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:24 PM
MADinAK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Daytona Bob
Wait a Minute isn't there like 1 road in Alaska?

I Don't see a problem.
I see you're still on a roll.

Get notified of new replies

To NAV Disc Info - No - Not the same ol' stuff

Quick Reply: NAV Disc Info - No - Not the same ol' stuff