C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How thick is the clear coat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Larry R
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How thick is the clear coat?

Unfortunately, my car has gotten some scraches in the paint. You can just baely feel them with your fingernail. I talked to my paint and body guy who I have used to paint my other hot rods, and he thinks they can be removed, but he says he may have to do some very light sanding with very fine paper, So I wonder just how thick is the clear coat, will it be able to be sanded just a bit without going through it? Thanks for any input, Larry

Last edited by Larry R; 01-13-2009 at 10:04 AM. Reason: sp
Old 01-12-2009, 06:49 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry R
Unfortunately, my car has gotten some scraches in the paint. You can just baely feel them with your fingernail. I talked to my paint and body guy who I have used to paint my other hot rods, and he thinks they can be removed, but he says he may have to do some very light danding with very fine paper, So I wonder just how thick is the clear coat, will it be able to be sanded just a bit without going through it? Thanks for any input, Larry
Larry, i'm no expert but have tried the claybar thing with good success for light scratches. Some others might have better ideas tho. good luck, those damn scratches will drive a guy nutspaul
Old 01-12-2009, 07:08 PM
yur2slo
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If it's a very light scratch, sanding it with some 2000 grit (1500 if it's a little deeper) then buffing it out should not be a problem. Just need to be careful, these factories get away with using as little clear coat as necessary nowadays.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:17 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,252 Likes on 916 Posts

Check over in the Car Care Section. There should plenty of posts overthere on the subject.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:26 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

If your body guy is good you should trust him. They generally know what they are doing. Quite a few owners have had their cars wetsanded and then buffed to remove or minimize orange peel. Granted, that is only taking off the "high spots" but some careful wetsanding followed by buffing can take care of a lot of minor scratches.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:23 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

The clear coat thickness is between 1.5 and 2.0 mils (.0015" - .002").

It can be wet sanded. Make sure who ever does it knows exactly what they are doing. It is very easy to break through at that thickness. The color coat is between .7mils and 1.2 mils. (a piece of paper is typically 3 mils for reference. The car has a primer coat, a color coat and a clear coat. Once you get through the clear it is a short trip to the body panel from there. Just remember that your clear coat is your primary protection from the elements.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:57 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

If it were me - I wouldn't use sandpaper on the paint, unless you're experienced.

There are many types of rubbing compounds out there that will take out most light scratches.

After using the rubbing compound, the clearcoat will have a hazy appearance to it.

Next, go over it with a swirl-mark remover.......basically, a very fine rubbing compound.

Finally, use your favorite wash or polish to fully restore the shine.

I've had great success using this method.
It sometimes takes 2 or 3 rounds of buffing & polishing - but, the scratches eventually come out.
A little at a time is the safest way to go.

I can recommend some excellent products for this, if you're interested.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Body Teacher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What also needs to be remembered is that you are making the clearcoat even thinner than factory which can lead to degradation of the clear due to not enough film thickness. The ultraviolet light protection provided by the clear is lessened when it is thinner. Ever seen a vehicle going down the road with the clear turning white and eventually pealing or wearing through? That's a possibility depending upon climate.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

It's four nodes thick.

Get notified of new replies

To How thick is the clear coat?

Quick Reply: How thick is the clear coat?