C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Onstar Suspension for You!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Sealbeams
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No Onstar Suspension for You!

Picked up our new 09 coupe in November and promptly put it to bed for the winter. Called Onstar today to see if they would suspend the complimentary first year service for the 4 months or so the car will be sleeping. Nope! A bit mystifying and irritating. I was under the impression others here had been able to do that - ? If so, any tips? Otherwise, prospective owners: you may want to see if the dealer will/can delay implementing the service until you will actually be able to use it.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:01 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as I know they don't suspend it.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Rednblack
Pro

I tried too - no luck. XM was no better.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:21 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

I thought I read someplace on the forum that they will suspend it, try a search is all I can offer.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Eppieguy
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I haven't activated mine yet, they call my house everyday while I'm at work and they don't leave a message. I wonder when I do activate it if it will start then or it has already started?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:32 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I haven't activated mine yet, they call my house everyday while I'm at work and they don't leave a message. I wonder when I do activate it if it will start then or it has already started?
It's activated when you leave the dealer. At least my was. I have NEVER used it. Never used it on any of the other GM cars and trucks I have owned that came with it either. The reliability of Cell Service has made it obsolete as far as I am concerned. And as far as the other things they offer ..... DON'T need em. IMHO
Old 01-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Rednblack
Pro

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
It's activated when you leave the dealer. At least my was. I have NEVER used it. Never used it on any of the other GM cars and trucks I have owned that came with it either. The reliability of Cell Service has made it obsolete as far as I am concerned. And as far as the other things they offer ..... DON'T need em. IMHO
My only thought would be in a bad accident it might be worth the money for the quick 911 call - I don't remember what their "safe and sound" package cost but I didn't think it was that bad. Hope I don't ever need it.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:53 PM
EVRGRN
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 200 Posts

I also tried to suspend service on my 09 that I took delivery on in October.

Onstar will not suspend service during the free introductory period that comes with the new car. Once you start paying for the service, you can suspend service for up to six months.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
Completely worthless.

I do like the diagnotic email. That is cool I admit. But, that's worth maybe $3 a month.

OnStar should be $7-$10 a month and I have a feeling they would keep more customers. But, that would make sense.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:47 PM
95blklsc
Racer

They wouldn't suspend my free year but they did extend it by 4 months for free....... something at least.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:06 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

AFAIK they will give you credit for the hibernation, but probably not during the free trial period. Try a site search. Lots of posts about it.

IMO Onstar is a great value. For pennies a day there are many features that are important to me. Since I won't use runflats, I particularly value the 24 hours roadside service. The powerful hands-free phone and the GPS anti-theft tracking are also valuable to me. And the emergency response just might save my life.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:36 PM
ToRedVettes
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Wonder what would happen if we all called XM & OnStar to cancel on the same day?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:30 AM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sealbeams
Picked up our new 09 coupe in November and promptly put it to bed for the winter. Called Onstar today to see if they would suspend the complimentary first year service for the 4 months or so the car will be sleeping. Nope! A bit mystifying and irritating. I was under the impression others here had been able to do that - ? If so, any tips? Otherwise, prospective owners: you may want to see if the dealer will/can delay implementing the service until you will actually be able to use it.

Hi,

I put my car in service on March 17th, 08. My OnStar will expire soon and I will not renew. I only have about 1800 miles on my car and I don't need OnStar. Remember all the years you drove without OnStar or even a cell phone.

They have a monthly plan and it cost around $19.00. You can go with that plan if you still need OnStar.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:39 AM
BigKitty
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your car would blow up!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't be mad at OnStar for not suspending or delaying implementation of a free trial period. As mentioned below, if they're nice enough to credit a hibernation period of a paid subscription I think that's more than fair.

Originally Posted by keyplyr
AFAIK they will give you credit for the hibernation, but probably not during the free trial period. Try a site search. Lots of posts about it.

IMO Onstar is a great value. For pennies a day there are many features that are important to me. Since I won't use runflats, I particularly value the 24 hours roadside service. The powerful hands-free phone and the GPS anti-theft tracking are also valuable to me. And the emergency response just might save my life.

...for the pennies a day OnStar costs it's a value to me. The built-in, hands-free, more powerful OnStar phone is worth it alone if you have a manual transmission.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:42 AM
cylon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Never Say Never
Completely worthless.

I do like the diagnotic email. That is cool I admit. But, that's worth maybe $3 a month.

OnStar should be $7-$10 a month and I have a feeling they would keep more customers. But, that would make sense.
you are absolutely right, they do not have the price model in line with other electronic services

10-15 per month maybe, not 290 for base and 400 for premium service per year

I dropped it on my other GM cars, unfortunately you also lose the in car phone capability and that funcionality works well, better than most hand held cell
Old 01-17-2009, 02:05 PM
GREENTAHOE
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

For me it is a self assuring insurance that is well worth it. I have paid insurance on vehicles for years and never used it. I pay $117 a month on my car now for ins and only drive it 3 times a month maybe. I have never made a claim and I am a Police Pursuit Driving Instructor. I revel in the fact that we catch every car thief that steals a car with Onstar activated. To each his own.

Get notified of new replies

To No Onstar Suspension for You!

Old 01-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by bksnoopy
Remember all the years you drove without OnStar or even a cell phone:
Yep! And those other things like CD players, power steering and air condtioning too!

Just FYI about the free service, it starts when the dealer reports your car as sold...same as your warranty. Just because you haven't spoken to OnStar doesn't mean that the clock isn't ticking.

Dave
Old 01-17-2009, 04:26 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRGRN
I also tried to suspend service on my 09 that I took delivery on in October.

Onstar will not suspend service during the free introductory period that comes with the new car. Once you start paying for the service, you can suspend service for up to six months.

That is correct, I have just suspended it for the second year (3rd Winter) for 4 months while it is in storage. I did not try to suspend it the first winter which was during the free introductory period.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:37 PM
waldow
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I wouldn't be mad at OnStar for not suspending or delaying implementation of a free trial period. As mentioned below, if they're nice enough to credit a hibernation period of a paid subscription I think that's more than fair.

...for the pennies a day OnStar costs it's a value to me. The built-in, hands-free, more powerful OnStar phone is worth it alone if you have a manual transmission.
have had it since 2001 on every GMC vehicle I have owned in that time and will not be without it . Yes, I have had to use OnStar, at least ten times to unlock doors for me. Most of the time while fishing on the river and putting keys in vehicle while putting on or taking off waders- too old to remember the right sequence of doing things

Last edited by waldow; 01-17-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply: No Onstar Suspension for You!