C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 >>> BAD Experience with **LATE MODEL ENGINES**

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:03 AM
Spectre86
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwong
I posted a link on LS1Tech, it was deleted because instead of being a relatively constructive discussion as it was here, it became a spitting match and went 180 degrees from where it was suposed to go. I guess the thread I posted there pissed off a local sponsor that specialized in mail order engines, he accused me of targeting his business and it escalated from there. The reality is that this really had nothing to do with him, but in his ignorance he took it personal, then many members got in there and started to bash him. Then later that same day one of the moderators deleted it from the NW section where I had posted a link to this thread. I found it amusing, it went from a few hits to darn near 60 in a matter of 30 minutes, far more than this one had in the first few days.

Maybe he should have demanded that they take it back, but don't forget that this issue went miles and months past their WRITTEN warranty because after repeated calls, he was told to just keep on putting miles on the engine.

There was a conference call between the OP, LME and the machine shop in Portland doing the work. We already know the outcome of that conversation. Incidentally this machine shop in Portland is a family run business that has been in business for over 50 years. It is not the run of the mill production rebuilder shop. This shop is equipped to do even the most complex machining operations with the latest equipment. They not only are capable for performing the run of the mill every day jobs but also the ability to rebuild any of the late model engines today and from yesterday. I have seen them rebuild engines in concourse restoration jobs including old Mercedes Benz, Dussenberg, Packard and other really old stuff. while the really old stuff isn't real technical as compared to some of the new stuff, parts that are presently able to be purchased often has to be machined. Take for instance on one job, they had to build a water pump on some old engine for Rio.

Yep, opinions are like A**HOLES, everyone has one and sometimes they stink
Tom, any info on the shop? Im curious, who do you trust to do builds for your customers?

I think this is a fear everyone has when spending high $$$ online... Its not about getting the best price or service, its about getting the best help when a problem goes wrong. The biggest problem for most people, is there isnt someone local.

Your only about 3 hours from me, thats why I was asking
Old 03-02-2009, 12:03 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the heads up i was going to have LME build me a forged 403 ls2 short block! WOW! Im going to get (Xtreme horsepower) in dallas to do my build it now! they have already started my build! they have a state of the art machine shop.there automotive machinests are asae cert. lets hope it goes well they installed my c5 procharger and dyno tuned it great! thanks and god bless,scott
Old 03-02-2009, 12:22 PM
lstorm2003
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you an attorney by chance? Just curious... I would guess that you are based on your writing style.

By the way this snipet was put quite well:

"To emphasize, I do NOT want to hear from satisfied LME customers. In my view, a good product or the rendition of satisfactory services are normal expectations. Customers pay to attain these expectations. There is nothing special about normal results."

I couldn't agree more, and good luck with a resolution!
Old 03-11-2009, 11:31 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fallen
I just had a 440 built by LME through England Green.
It is using one quart in about 200-300 miles w/ castrol 10w30 dyno oil.
I am not too happy about this.
This morning I put 15w50 synthetic in there as I am planning to road race. Hopefully, it will not burn as much oil.
I spent a fortune on this build.
What should I do?????
I am not trying to bash anyone or stir the pot, but should I be concerned with the consumption? Will the consumption get worse?
Fallen, you are going to road race that engine!!!!! You blow it on a road race course, and take out cars around you, you really will be in deep. What does your car look like so I can avoid you on the tracks around houston

I'm late coming into this thread. I live in Houston and had considered using LME to build my engine a year ago or so but they had a long lead time at the time...Glad I went with A&A now

Last edited by drivinfast; 03-11-2009 at 11:56 PM. Reason: add quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:16 PM
fallen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vettealot
Fallen, you are going to road race that engine!!!!! You blow it on a road race course, and take out cars around you, you really will be in deep. What does your car look like so I can avoid you on the tracks around houston

I'm late coming into this thread. I live in Houston and had considered using LME to build my engine a year ago or so but they had a long lead time at the time...Glad I went with A&A now
While my car burns oil (and it still does even with the thicker oil) what makes you think it would have a catostrophic failure?

Please educate me.

I was under the impression that while it burned oil, that was more on an inconvenience than anything else.

Thanks.

Also I would like to hear from people that have built a bunch of thse motors as to what they think. (thanks in advance).

Last edited by fallen; 03-14-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

While my car burns oil (and it still does even with the thicker oil) what makes you think it would have a catostrophic failure?

Please educate me.

I was under the impression that while it burned oil, that was more on an inconvenience than anything else.

Thanks.

Also I would like to hear from people that have built a bunch of thse motors as to what they think. (thanks in advance).
Does it still burn a quart in 200 to 300 miles? If so I am suprised you are ok with that. What did LME say about it? Have you talked to them?
Old 03-14-2009, 02:34 PM
fallen
Burning Brakes

I will get in touch with LME next week and see what they have to say. I will report back to this post.

This motor has already come out of the car twice (possibly not due to LME's fault) and I have spent an awful lot of time on this build when I paid for a turn key install.

If in fact there will be a catastrophic failure down the line, the motor will have to come out again, and obviously I will not road race it.

However, if it is an inconvenience, I am not sure I have the time to have the motor pulled again.

I also don't know what the tuner/original installer would want to do.

I have spent a ton of money here and will not spend anymore.

BTW-the car has 4034 miles on the new build and does not smoke a lot. The car will smoke if it is driven lightly for a while (30 miles) and then you get on it hard.

Last edited by fallen; 03-14-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:46 PM
fallen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Silverspeed
Does it still burn a quart in 200 to 300 miles? If so I am suprised you are ok with that. What did LME say about it? Have you talked to them?
I am very pissed that this has happened, but I need to find a solution that is acceptable for me financially and time-wise.

I will work on one.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:57 AM
fallen
Burning Brakes

Sorry for the delay.

After using 50 weight the car still burns almost a quart in 300 miles.

So about two weeks ago I drove the car down to LME and spoke to Bryan and Pecos. Pecos concluded that the car must be burning a little bit from each cylinder and that this was probably caused by the fact that the car was not tuned properly during break in.

LME agreed to take the motor back and fix the issue for free.

The problem is getting the motor pulled. I have been quoted 2000 for labor, which seems fair. Note that I will not go back to Gulf Coast/EG.

Also, others have recommended that I have the motor pulled and sent to HKE in Houston. According to the recommendations I received, the gentlemen there is an expert in fixing ring issues.

However, according to some, he does not operate on a fixed schedule. I was told that he would need my motor for at least a month, which is something I will not agree to. However, I did not speak with him directly so I do not know if this is the case.

For now I will continue to drive the car. I was told by Pecos that the oil burning issue will not lead to other problems.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:31 PM
fallen
Burning Brakes

Just sopke with Erik and HKE. Looks like I may use Erik.

I am so glad I paid almost 20k already for a turnkey motor install and had nothing but trouble.

Last edited by fallen; 05-08-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:47 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Just sopke with Erik and HKE. Looks like I may use Erik.

I am so glad I paid almost 20k already for a turnkey motor install and had nothing but trouble.
that's about as bad as it gets!! I went through something like that many years ago and it's the main reason I've never done heavy duty engine mods after that experience. Spent a pile of hard earned money for a POS engine!! It never ran right and finally puked after about 6 months.....
I can really sympathize with what you've been going through...
Old 05-08-2009, 04:09 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Really throws a wrench in the "engine mods to do" list. But it does open my eyes. Sorry you're going through this BS.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:16 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I am really sorry to hear of your troubles. Turn-key this is NOT. I would be livid as I am sure you are also. Best Wishes and I hope for a good solution for you.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:28 PM
fallen
Burning Brakes

OK spoke with Erik at HKE and he was very helpful.

I checked the rocker bolts for the intake rockers and guess what no teflon sealant/threadloc. Sealant is ABSOLUTELY necessary on these bolts because the protrude into the intake port on a TFS 235 head.

I used permatex sealant and put everything back together. Hopefully this cures the problem.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:59 PM
123vette456
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 90 Posts

LME blew it. Google " LME engine " and within 6 posts it leads to this post. Lack of customer support and short sightedness is costing them dearly.

Last edited by 123vette456; 05-15-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:30 AM
james1990
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the heads up. i am going through a similar situation and its very frustrating..stay up and remember to enjoy the car!
Old 05-15-2009, 12:52 AM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
It isn't about how right you do things. It's about when things go wrong, how do you try to make them right. The moral of this story is, read and comprehend.

And if you need a further example of how to do it right, in the face of when things go wrong, take a look at forum vendor MGW. I have. He knows how to make things right and KEEP his customers, and make new ones just from his word and deeds.

That's the real story of a businessman.
Well spoken. Company needs some serious lessons in Customer Satisfaction 101. Very disappointing.

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 >>> BAD Experience with **LATE MODEL ENGINES**

Old 10-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Aw hell. I just found out that my tuner is getting my engine built by LME. It's already been shipped to to the tuner and should show up this Tuesday, so I'm pretty much committed.

I like to hope for the best, but quite honestly I'm feeling pretty nervous about this after reading this thread. I know my tuner will stand behind it, but who the heck wants their car tied up for months with engine tear downs? But if that sucker uses oil, it's defintely going to get yanked out and sent back. I spent WAY too much money on that sucker to be paying for a major headache.

So what exactly is the CORRECT breakin procedure for a built motor?
Old 10-22-2009, 02:30 PM
85redtx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK spoke with Erik at HKE and he was very helpful.

I checked the rocker bolts for the intake rockers and guess what no teflon sealant/threadloc. Sealant is ABSOLUTELY necessary on these bolts because the protrude into the intake port on a TFS 235 head.

I used permatex sealant and put everything back together. Hopefully this cures the problem.
Update?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:00 AM
TrenAman
Drifting

sounds like a nightmare you cannot wake up from..

Quick Reply: LS7 >>> BAD Experience with **LATE MODEL ENGINES**